Saint Seiya: Jashin Eris
Saint Seiya: the Movie/ Saint Seiya: Evil Goddess Eris(DVD title)(Saint Seiya Gekijoban, Saint Seiya Jashin Eris DVD) is a film based on the popular manga and anime series called Saint Seiya by Masami Kurumada. It premiered in Japanese theaters on July 18, 1987 where it was a success and received a sequel the year after with The Heated Battle of the Gods.
The first movie of Saint Seiya released in the festival "Toei Manga Matsuri". in the summer of 1987. Although its debut was exactly around the beginning of 12 Temple's battle in animation of TV, that movie was planned to be placed after the battle against Sanctuary, since in comics that chapter was in a much more advanced stage (because Shiryu is not blind in the movie).
It starts off with Seiya, Hyoga and Shun visiting the Star Child Orphanage, where they save one of the children from being run over.
A new character called Eri is revealed as Miho's workmate and a second caretaker at the orphanage. She starts having feelings for Hyoga, and one night they are found sitting outside watching the stars, when suddenly there's a falling star. As Eri makes a wish, it is stolen by Eris, the Greek goddess of Discord, who uses it to revive herself.
Things worsen when Eris takes possession of Eri's body and kidnaps Athena to her own Sanctuary. As she plans to gain control of the world by sucking out all the energy of the goddess with her golden apple, Eris revives dead saints to fight for her.
The protagonists receive the news about the kidnapping and sets off towards Eris' sanctuary. As they enter the sanctuary, they fight various battles between the revived Saints, and it ends up with the Saints being killed again.
In the end after a struggle with the last of the "Ghost Five", Jäger of Orion; Seiya is helped by the spirit of the deceased Aiolos, who sends the Sagittarius Gold Cloth to his aid.
As Jäger is defeated, Eris is the only one left between the earth's salvation and destruction. Seiya takes aim at the golden apple, but hesitates with the fear that the arrow might hit Athena. The Goddess herself encourages Seiya to use his courage and shoot the arrow, which he does, to Eris' dismay.
After the Goddess of Discord has returned to the realm of the dead, the Saints escape the crumbling sanctuary, and along with the released Eri and Saori, they walk towards a more peaceful world.
Eris: Goddess of Discord
Eris tempted Eri with a golden apple to possess and use her as a tool to start chaos in this world. As she caught Saori Kido (Athena), she placed a golden apple in front of Saori's chest to drain her power and life force to the point she would no longer need Eri's body, and proceeds with her plan to take over the world. Whereas it had been foretold that when Athena were to die, all of the dead Saints with grief in their hearts would be revived and finish Earth's destruction. 
- Seiyuu: Toshiko Fujita (藤田 淑子, ふじた としこ)
In Greek mythology, when Eris was not invited to the wedding of Peleus and Thetis due to her trouble-making nature, she tossed a golden apple on the ground in front of Hera, Athena and Aphrodite that inscribed "to the most beautiful goddess" which sparked a contest between the three goddess and eventually lead to Trojan War.
Eri (絵梨衣)is a volunteer at the Star Orphanage (where Seiya, Seika & Miho grew up) who's wish from a falling star were stolen by Eris. The goddess took control over Eri's body until she could be completely revived into this world again. Eri and Hyoga had a close connection when they first met.
- Seiyuu: Mayumi Shô (荘 真由美, しょう まゆみ)
Ghost Saints "Ghost Five"
Christ (Ghost Saint of Crux)
Christ died some time before Athena was kidnapped, and is thus recognized by Hyoga in the purpose of Christ being the Southern and Hyoga the Northern cross. Feeling restless and tormented by his death, as he lay in his grave, he put aside his Saint title and joined Eris, who revived him with a new body. But as he faces Cygnus Hyoga and gets an advantage over him, Christ is betrayed by Eris, who sees this as a good opportunity, and throws a spear into his back, piercing right through his heart killing him and injuring Hyoga at the same time.
- Named after Christ, the anointed one, who was nailed to a cross.
- Techniques: Southern Cross Thunder Bolt
- Cloth: Southern Cross Silver Cloth
- Seiyuu: Ryuusei Nakao (中尾 隆聖, なかお りゅうせい)
Maya (Ghost Saint of Sagitta)
Another Saint that has been revived by Eris in a new body.Maya has a similar personality as Pegasus Seiya, but he would fight to the death if it meant winning. He proves this when he faces Seiya, to first talk with him, and then attack with all his strength. Unfortunately he is no match for Seiya, but one of the arrows from his attack Phantom Arrow Express makes it through Seiya's defenses. As Seiya removes the arrow with ease, he tries to get Maya to tell where Saori, is but leaves when he doesn't get a response. Maya says in his last breath that the arrow is actually poisonous, and only one shot is enough to remove your five senses.
- Named after Maya the Indian deity of Illusion.
- Technique: Hunting Arrow Express
- Cloth: Sagitta Silver Cloth
- Seiyuu: Michitaka Kobayashi (小林 通孝, こばやし みちたか)
Jäger (Ghost Saint of Orion)
Said to be one of the most powerful Silver Saints who served Athena with honor. But after he was killed, he held a grudge over being forgotten, and the loneliness that comes with being dead. Jäger didn't hesitate to accept Eris's offer, and was soon revived with a new body to fight for the destruction of the world. Though as he faced Phoenix Ikki, he found his foe's strength to be almost equal to his. When Ikki explained the meaning of friendship the Saints had, Jäger hesitated, but still continued to fight Ikki. Jäger was interrupted when Pegasus Seiya obtained the Sagitarius Gold Cloth, and after having his strongest attack blocked by Seiya, he was defeated by him. In his last words, he confirmed that Seiya and the others really were true Saints. 
- Named after the german word for hunter, as Orion was.
- Techniques: Megaton Meteor Crash
- Cloth: Orion Silver Cloth
- Seiyuu: Yuu Mizushima (水島 裕, みずしま ゆう)
Jan (Ghost Saint of Tateza)
Jan is an apparent Saint that died in vain; this may well have been caused by his straightforward and jump-into-action personality. As he was restless in is grave, he gladly accepted Eris's offer, and where soon revived given a new body. He faced of with Dragon Shiryu and to his advantage, the Tateza Cloth has a stronger shield than the Dragon cloth. So in a mere minute he had defeated Shiryu, but by gravely underestimating the Dragon saint he was soon defeated as Shiryu unleashed all of his cosmo into one single attack, and were killed.
- Named after Jan III Sobieski, who the Shield constellation was made for.
- Techniques: Bone Crush Screw
- Cloth: Tateza Silver Cloth
- Seiyuu: Keiichi Nanba (難波 圭一, なんば けいいち)
Orpheus (Ghost Saint of Lyra)
The legendary mythical person himself, as expressed by Andromeda Shun. After his failure of bringing Eurydice back, Orpheus died with regrets. This led to gladly taking Eris offer and being revived in a new body. As he faced Shun, he seemed to be a calm and subtle person, but as the fight progressed he showed his evil side. After ensnaring and almost killing Shun with his Stringer Requiem, he was cut short with Phoenix Ikki's arrival. Ikki used his Houou Genma Ken to finish him, but since Orpheus already had suffered through hell, he brushed it of with ease. Wasting no time, he attacked with his Stringer Requiem again, but this time Ikki unleashed his Houyoku Tensho at him and he was killed.
- Named after the Greek mythical musician Orpheus.
- Birthplace: Greece
- Techniques: Stringer Requiem
- Cloth: Lyra Silver Cloth
- Seiyuu: Yuji Mitsuya (三ツ矢 雄二, みつや ゆうじ)
Notes of Interest
- In three months, the author of Saint Seiya created and designed the new five Saints. The movie versions were based on the sketches he had made. 
- In Japan it was named simply Saint Seiya: The Movie (Saint Seiya Gekijouban), but in some countries it received the name "The Legend of the Golden Apple", or similar titles. The series author, Masami Kurumada suggested the name of "Jashin Eris" (Eris, the Evil Goddess) for its DVD release. 
- This is the only movie (excluding The Prologue of Heaven Chapter ~ Overture) that fit in the original story and plot.
- It's not clear the class of the five Ghost Saints. Because there are Lyra and Arrow (Sagitta) constellations from Silver class, perhaps the other Ghost Saints may be all Silver Saints, but that subject is still unclear. That speculations exist in movie pampleth of Saint Seiya: Prologue of Heaven Chapter ~ Overture.
- Tateza Jan was originally named Shield Jan, but for some reason the Shield was replaced with the japanese word for it. Most likely to decrease any confusion.  
- Director: Kôzô Morishita
- Studio: Toei
- Music: Seiji Yokoyama
- Editing: Yasuiro Yoshikawa
- Special f/x: Masayuki Kawachi
- Background: Tadao Kubota, Minoru Okochi, Kazuhisa Asai, Yasushi Higashitsuji, Kazuyuki Hashimoto, Koji Yamamura, Rumiko Minemura.
- Masami Kurumada
- The sketches made by Kurumada in a translated article from the Japanese magazine Weekly Shounen Jump.