There are various cassette tapes and CDs released for the fans to enjoy the Saint Seiya story in audio drama form. Some are just adaptations of the existing material. While others offer new material to complement the existing story line.
When the original manga was still been drawn, Shueisha released 3 cassette tapes based on the manga. The characters were voiced by the Anime voice actors. A lot of the scenes not in anime are featured in the these dramas.
The first tape, Under Any kind of Star[いかなる星の下に: Ikanaru Hoshi no Shita ni] was released on Aug. 24th, 1988. Before the drama begins, Kurumada himself explains the concept of Cosmo, Seven Senses and Seiya explains the myth of the Saints.
The drama begins with Seiya winning the Pegasus Cloth and focuses more on the Black Chapter events and Seiya vs. Misty fight. The last parts of the drama have Saori revealing she is the incarnation of Athena. The boys and Athena discusses what it means to be born under a destiny of stars. The tape ends with the voice actors discussing the work and their characters.
In the same year, 2 More tapes were released on Aug. 29th, that focuses on the events of 12 Palaces Chapter. Gold 12 Palaces Front Chapter[黄金十二宮前編: Ougon Jyuunikyuu Zenpen] focuses on the first 6 Palaces and Gold 12 Palaces Back Chapter[黄金十二宮後編: Ougon Jyuunikyuu Kouhen] focuses on the last 6 Palaces and the Saga fight.
Elements in the drama that are different or not in the anime:
- In the manga, a priest tells some tourists that the Myth of Saints does not exist in Greek Mythology. This is not in the anime. In the drama, Seiya is the one that talks about this.
- In the manga, the word "Black" for Black Saints had the Katakana ブラック: Burakku and the kanij 暗黒: Ankoku which means Dark. In the anime, they only used the kanji, Dark. In this drama, they only use the Katakana, Black.
- Ikki's skill, Phoenix Illusion Punch:鳳凰幻魔拳: Hoou Genma Ken are voiced out by all kanjis, in the anime, they changed the kanji Hoou to katakana フェニックス:Fuenikkusu.
- Hyoga uses the Russian skills names, in the anime, they changed it to English.
- Black Swans sends his right eyeball to Ikki, in the anime, he sends the Swan head from his head-gear.
- Black Dragon Twins scenes are all there, in the anime, there is only one Dark Dragon.
- Ikki reveals who is the father of all the orphans, in the anime, this was not animated.
- Mu is featured in the drama, in the anime, Mu's intervention was not animated.
- The boys talking about their father, in the anime, this was not animated.
- Athena reveals to the boys she is Athena, in the anime, Tatsumi is the one that does that.
- Camus's monologue after he puts Hyoga in Freezing Coffin stays true to the manga, in the anime, dialogues were changed because of the Crystal Saint character.
- Shun's flashback with young Ikki discussing the issue of wars, in the anime, this was not animated.
- The Saga fight is longer and you get to hear Ikki and Saga talk about their Evil Skills, Phoenix Illusion Punch and Bewitch Devil Punch[幻朧魔皇拳: Genrou Maou Ken: Magical Faint Evil King Punch] and you get to hear Saga launch Galaxian Explosion two times.
Special Drama, Gold 12 Palaces Chapter
For the 20 Anniversary of the birth of Saint Seiya, a drama of the original manga, 12 Palaces Chapter, was featured in the radio program, Shuei School Young Girl Research Club[集英学園乙女研究部: Shuei Gakuen Otome Genkyuu Bu]. The broadcast started at the latter half of Sept. 2005. However, the voice actors of the leading cast was not the originals but the ones used in Underworld OVA.
The drama was re-released in 2 CDs by Columbia Music Entertainment which contained original drama not featured in the radio program. The BGMs used in drama was from the original Sountracks of the original Anime. Shingo and Michi drew new cover jackets for the releases. The first CD was released on Nov. 30, 2005 and the second, Dec. 28th, 2005.
Released in Jan. 21st, 1997 was the concept album, CD 1997 Boys' Tale[少年記: Shounen Ki], used to test the waters to see if there was enough market for a newly drawn manga or newly produced anime but all plans were canceled because of the Asian Economic Crisis.
This CD have new recorded songs but also a new drama track detailing what happened right after the Hades war. The script of the drama was written by TV Series writer, Yoshiyuki Suga. And most of the original voice actors returned to voice their characters, namely, Seiya, Shiryu, Hyoga, Shun, Ikki, Athena, Miho, and Shunrei.
The drama track is called "Do Cvidanija -Time of Promise-". The drama itself doesn't have a real plot but feature memories of the past. There were little parts of the drama that actually contradicted what actually happened in the manga.
The drama begins with Seiya is alive right after the Hades fight. The Saints separate and Hyoga says "Do Cvidanija..." Seiya returns to Star Child Orphanage. Miho and the kids will prepare a party for Seiya's return and Seiya promises he will come to the party. Shun visits Seiya and they go to a beach to talk about the past. Shun explains "Do Cvidanija" doesn't mean 'Good bye' but "Promise to meet again."
Hyoga dives again to see his Mama. Shiryu is saddened by the lost of his master. Shunrei worries about him. Right after Shiryu reverses the Rozan waterfall, a Cosmo stronger than Poseidon or Hades is felt by all. Seiya couldn't attend the party after all. The drama ends with all of them returning to Sanctuary(even Ikki!!) to meet Saori.
Contradictions with the manga:
- In Galaxian Wars, Ikki never launched Phoenix Wing Glide[鳳翼天翔: Hou Yoku Ten Shou] on Shun(This didn't happen in Anime either.)
- After the Poseidon War, Hyoga promised never to see his Mama again.
Contained in Apr. issue of 2007 of Champion Red Magazine released in Feb. 19th, was the Super Sound Drama CD featuring Aiolia, Lithos, Galan, Camus, and Pontos.
- "The One who Wanders" - Camus brings the Pope's orders to Aiolia to deal with a Gigas, but the Gigas turns out to contain the Cosmo of Lithos' father who has died. Aiolia promises to her father that he will take care of her so he can be at peace.
- "The One who Cuts Light" - Lithos has been living in Leo Palace along with Aiolia and Galan. Pontos sents his dark Cosmo to make Galan kill Aiolia. Aiolia destroys the Cosmo.(Shaka's and Milo's lines in the manga is given to Camus instead.)
The Limited Edition product for Vol 11 published in Feb. 20th of 2007 has another Super Sound Drama CD featuring Lithos, Aiolia, Camus, and Okeanos. (The package also came with a visual guide and an extra space for you to place the other drama CD.)
- "The One who creates Vicissitudes" is the drama where by the half-blade of Kreios, a doorway to Tartaros is opened. Troops of Sanctuary are sent to investigate it but out comes Okeanos. Aiolia and Camus goes there to confront him.
On Nov. 1st, 1987, Galaxian Wars Dream Battle Chapter[銀河戦争 夢の対決編: Ginga Sensou Yume no Taiketu hen] was released. The drama are:
- Seiya vs. Shun(the victor of the battle not featured)
- Shiryu vs. Hyoga(the victor of the battle not featured)
- Leo Palace battle, Seiya vs. Aiolia.
In Memoral Box Disk 4-5, famous scenes recorded from the TV series were presented as drama. Some of the background music was replaced with other music. The drama are:
- Prologue of the Saints
- Seiya vs. Shiryu, Seiya detecting Shiryu's weakness.
- Seiya vs. Ikki, Seiya able to defeat Ikki because of his friends
- Aiolia not believing Saori is Athena. The Will of Aiolos wakes him up from his stupidity.
- Mu talks about the Seven Senses. The beginning of Taurus Palace battle.
- Death Mask makes Shunrei falls and angers Shiryu.
- Ikki explodes with Shaka. Shun cries.
- Hyoga comes back because of Shun's Cosmo and encourages Seiya and Shiryu. Hyoga vs. Milo, Antares scene.
- Shiryu vs. Shura, Shiryu tells Shura why they are fighting so hard. Shura realizes the truth.
- Hyoga vs. Camus. Final blows and Hyoga says good bye to Shun, Seiya, and his grand-master.
- Shun vs. Aphrodite, Final blows and Shun says goodbye to Seiya.
- Saga talks about what is the real evil and he is the savior. Ikki appears to save Seiya. Ikki vs Saga.
- Saori tells Saga if the world is without love and justice, it is not worth existing. Saga attacks Athena but at the same time hits himself with Athena's Cane. Last scene in Sanctuary Chapter.
- Siegfied gives his Odin Sapphire to Seiya and dies with Sorrento.
- Odin lets Seiya wear his Robe and Seiya uses the Balmug Sword to cut the Nibelung Ring. Hilda is free and returns to her duty and prays again for Odin and Asgard.
- Ikki leaves Kanon. Sorrento talks about Athena's love. With help from the other 4 boys, Seiya breaks Main Breadwinner.
- Last scenes in Poseidon Chapter.
Future Hades Anime
5 drama tracks can be found in Hades Chapter album titled, Interludes[間奏曲: Kansoukyoku], voiced by TV Series voice actors of Seiya, Shiryu, Hyoga, Shun, Ikki and Saga. The Drama are:
- Seiya talks about Hades as the true enemy. Shiryu talks to Shunrei about Roshi leaving Five Old Peaks and he has to leave, too. Hyoga's talk about leaving Siberia again to his Mama and how he was guided by his Master and friend, Issac.
- Saga telling Camus and Shura in Twin Sala why they are here in the 12 Palaces again. In Hades Castle, Saga says good bye to the boys. Seiya, Shiryu, Hyoga and Shun says they won't forget the existance of the Gold Saints.
- Shun in Juddeca possessed by Hades telling Ikki, it is okay for Ikki to kill him.
- Seiya's monologue right before the 12 Gold Saints break the Wailing Wall.
- The Seiya talk right before he get his God Cloth. Hyoga talks about not giving up. Shiryu talks they were able to come to Elysion so they can create a miracle. Shun talks about burning the Cosmo without limit. Ikki talks about defeating Hypnos and Thanatos. Finally, Seiya talks about the God Cloth giving them miracles and the last power.
Web radio program, Radio Cosmos News, from the official website also gives news and info to the OVA.
The Special item of buying all the first print DVDs of LC Season 1 is a drama CD. The Drama is written by Shiori herself titled, Red Bond[赤い絆: Akai Kizuna]. The story is about Pisces Gold Saint Albafica and his master the previous Pisces Saint, Rugonis.
The Pope sents Albafica to the Island of the Healers to deal with a Specter there. It is there Alibafica meets a man named Luco. Luco looks exactly like his Master Rugonis. The drama reveals Albafica was abandoned as a baby and Rugonis brought him up and trained him to be a Saint. But the tragedy of the destiny of the Pisces Saint is that whoever has the stronger poison blood, master or pupil, will kill the other. Albafica's own blood killed his own master! Before his death, Rugonis wants Albafica to promise to live as the Pisces Saint from then on. As it turns out, Luco is the Specter. He tempts Albafica to live a normal life with no poison. Albafica don't take the temptation and defeats him.
In 1992, the last Saint Seiya product produced was the Special Preimum Talking Live Saint Seiya Postcript ～ New Myth～ [聖闘士星矢後記～新たなる神話～: Seitoushi Seiya Kouki ～Aratanaru Shinwa～]. It was packed with 4 LDs of the 4 Movies and limited edition drawings of Masami Kurumada. This Gold CD Single was not to be sold alone. The Talking Live in the CD has the Voice actors of the main cast talking about Seiya and 6 phone messages by the main characters. One of the more funny products out there. This was the last product to mark the end of Saint Seiya franchise at the time.