Author Topic: Saint Seiya old and new voice cast questions  (Read 1332 times)

Taiyoumaru

• Passionate youth
    • View Profile
Saint Seiya old and new voice cast questions
« on: April 05, 2016, 03:43:24 AM »
Hey guys, fresh member of the forum here, but very old Saint Seiya fan. I wanted to make a thread asking for your knowledge on this subject since I couldn't find anything on the net.

Basically I was playing the Soldiers' Soul game on PC and immediately noticed that, at least for the Seiya crew and Saori, none of the old voice cast was there. Now I noticed this in Omega for Saori and maybe Shun (although if the VAs are different, they sound very similar) but not for Seiya there. Nothing against the new guys, they do a fine job, but at least for Seiya nothing can replace that righteous voice or Ikki's fearsomeness (the guy in Omega sounds very nasal) or Saori's tenderness of the old voice cast. Anyone know why Dimps chose to go with the new guys? It's really annoying for me, very out of character.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
Re: Saint Seiya old and new voice cast questions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:58:21 AM »
Well, to be conscise. After the release of the Tenkai-hen Overture movie, Kurumada felt that several of the voice actors just sounded too old to play teenagers, except Toru Furuya. He, Furuya didn't want any newcomers to break his dreamteam, so he didn't want that. But while this was happening, Shiryu's voice actor died.

Thus we got new voice actors :D

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
Re: Saint Seiya old and new voice cast questions
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
Yeah - basically, Kurumada wanted to recast everybody except Seiya for Hades Chapter: Inferno. Furuya, i.e. Seiya, went "To hell with that. If they're not in, I'm not coming back either.". Then Hirotaka Suzuoki - Shiryu - died in 2006, and the entire Bronze team had to be recast.

Hades arc actually had several new voice actors. Mu's voice actor, Kaneto Shiozawa, died in 2000 which was even before Hades Chapter: Sanctuary. They cast Takumi Yamazaki in his place (which honestly works since they sound a lot alike - Mitsuru Miyamoto i.e. CGI Mu and another actor called Isshin Chiba also sound like Shiozawa).

...These are most of the changes that occurred since the TV-series:

Seiya: Toru Furuya until Hades Chapter: Sanctuary, Masakazu Morita until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Kaito Ishikawa in the CGI film, and Toru Furuya returns for Omega.
Shun: Ryo Horikawa until Hades Chapter: Sanctuary, Yuuta Kasuya until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Nobuhiko Okamoto in the CGI film, and Hiroshi Kamiya in Omega.
Shiryu: Hirotaka Suzuoki until Hades Chapter: Sanctuary, Takahiro Sakurai until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Kenji Akabane in the CGI film, and Ken Narita in Omega (he's been taking over Suzuoki's roles since the latter died in 2006).
Hyoga: Kouichi Hashimoto until Hades Chapter: Sanctuary, Hiroaki Miura until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Kenshou Ono in the CGI film, and Mamoru Miyano in Omega.
Ikki: Hideyuki Hori until Hades Chapter: Sanctuary, Katsuyuki Konishi until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Kenji Nojima in the CGI film, and Tomokazu Sugita in Omega (...btw, Sugitan also played Taurus Hasgard in Lost Canvas. He probably has the most range and skill out of the entire cast.).

Mu: Kaneto Shiozawa until the end of the TV-series, Takumi Yamazaki until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Mitsuru Miyamoto in the CGI film, and Takumi Yamazaki returns for Soul of Gold (Shiozawa died in 2000).
Aldebaran: Tessho Genda until the end of the TV-series, Naoki Imamura until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Rikiya Koyama in the CGI film, and Tessho Genda returns for Soul of Gold.
Saga/Kanon: Kazuyuki Sogabe until the end of the TV-series, Ryotaro Okiayu until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Kouichi Yamadera in the CGI film, and Ryotaro Okiayu returns for Soul of Gold (Sogabe died in 2006).
Deathmask: Ryouichi Tanaka until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Hiroaki Hirata in the CGI film, and Ryouichi Tanaka returns for Soul of Gold.
Aiolia: Hideyuki Tanaka until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Go Inoue in the CGI film, and Hideyuki Tanaka returns for Soul of Gold.
Shaka: Yuji Mitsuya until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Mitsuaki Madono in the CGI film, and Yuji Mitsuya returns for Soul of Gold.
Dohko: Kouji Yada as old Dohko (until his death in 2014), Michitaka Kobayashi as young Dohko until the end of the TV-series, Kenyuu Horiuchi as young Dohko from Hades Chapter: Sanctuary onwards, Kenta Miyake in Lost Canvas. He never showed up in the CGI film, I think.
Milo: Shuuichi Ikeda until the end of the TV-series, Toshihiko Seki until Hades Chapter Elysium, Masumi Asano in the CGI film, and Toshihiko Seki returns for Soul of Gold (he's the only Goldie whose TV-show voice actor is still alive, but still didn't return).
Aiolos: Yuusaku Yara until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Toshiyuki Morikawa in the CGI film, and Yuusaku Yara returns for Soul of Gold.
Shura: Kouji Totani until the end of the TV-series, Takeshi Kusao until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Shinji Kawada in the CGI film, and Takeshi Kusao returns for Soul of Gold (Totani died in 2006).
Camus: Rokuro Naya until the end of the TV-series, Nobutoshi Canna until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Daisuke Namikawa in the CGI film, and Nobutoshi Canna returns for Soul of Gold (Naya died in 2014).
Aphrodite: Keiichi Nanba until Hades Chapter: Elysium, Takuya Kirimoto in the CGI film, and Keiichi Nanba returns for Soul of Gold.
Shion: Nobuo Tobita in Hades Chapter: Sanctuary, Shinichiro Miki in Lost Canvas.

http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1886.msg50778#msg50778 <--- That's all the Saint Seiya voice actors who died. Some of them (like Shiryu, Mu and Saga) had to be recast.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:53:54 PM by Raiden [雷電] »