Author Topic: How did you get into Saint Seiya?  (Read 1860 times)

ZakAttak18

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
How did you get into Saint Seiya?
« on: January 26, 2016, 11:24:31 PM »
Title explains it all. The first time I ever saw anything related to Saint Seiya was Omega. I didn't watch it, but I saw the title on an anime streaming site when it first came out. I didn't watch it because the design didn't appeal to me and forgot about it. Only much later did I remember that I'd bumped into the franchise before. Around a year or so after this experience, I was formally introduced to Saint Seiya by a Youtuber (BobSamurai). He was giving his first impressions of it and also informed us about the upcoming Legend of Sanctuary movie. I was really interested and began watching Saint Seiya online. I liked the beginning (Galaxian Wars Tournament) but it started getting boring at around the Docrates and Ghost Saints story arcs, which turned out to be filler. Of course, at the time I didn't know that and eventually dropped it (not purposefully, I just drifted apart from it). Weeks later I remembered all the good things BobSamurai was saying about it, so I went back and picked up on it again. I quickly burned through the series but skipped the Asgard arc as I learned it was filler and I wanted to finish the story as quickly as possible before watching Legend of Sanctuary. Once I finished the original, I moved on to the Hades arc and really enjoyed that. Then I went back and watched the Asgard arc and also The Lost Canvas. Finally the movie came out and I felt disappointed after watching it, but I did appreciate the fact that I was introduced to now my favorite anime series. I tried to watch Omega but that didn't work out for me and felt like I needed more Saint Seiya. I did some extra research and found out about Next Dimension. So I started getting into that, as well as Episode G and Saintia Sho. Unfortunately, due to lack of time in my daily life, I couldn't really give the time needed to translate Episode G and Saintia Sho into English and only made time for ND because it was the official continuation of the main series. I do plan on finishing Episode G and Saintia Sho, however. Anyway I hope you guys enjoyed my story. Be sure to let me and everyone else enjoy your experience getting into the series!
"When did I start waiting for my opponent to make the first move?"

-Chairman Netero

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
Re: How did you get into Saint Seiya?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 08:10:15 PM »
I always find it odd when people come in later than me.  I guess that's because I assume most folks I run into are the kind who got into it when they were kids.

Anyway, even though I've posted this before, I'm happy to go through it again.  It all started for me when I was a senior in high school back in 2010.  I remembered this show about dudes in armor fighting other dudes in armor; in particular, I remember this one episode where it looks like the bad guy suddenly grows an extra pair of arms when he attacks, but this little kid with a camera figures out that he's just moving his arms really fast to make it look that way.  Turns out it was Ronin Warriors/Samurai Troopers, but at the time I thought it was Saint Seiya.  Considering I had heard this is a classic JUMP series, I decided to give it a look by reading some scans of the manga; I heard there were some changes to the VIZ editions.  The scans, however only went through volume 2 and then suddenly jumped to the Hades arc.  I then turned to the anime for a bit, but I didn't really care for it.  

Eventually, I did a research and learned that there had only been a few name/term changes in the VIZ editions, so I decided to bite the bullet and buy all of them, including a few that were scalped up to exorbitant prices.  (I was weak, okay?!)  I bought the whole damn thing, and loved it dearly.  (I also think the discounts I found for a bunch of the volumes evened it out to where I paid roughly MSRP for earch, which ain't too bad.)  Other than the name/term changes that were done to tie the manga to the show's terribly butchered version that aired on Cartoon Network, the translation is fantastic; the prose and syntax flows beautifully, and helps convey a mythic vibe.  Mari Morimoto, one of the people who worked on the manga's English version, is a huge Saint Seiya fan herself, and it shows through the localization's quality.  I do have to complain about the name/term changes (Saori is called Princess Sienna, big daddy Kido is called Lord Nobu, Deathmask is called Mephisto, and Saints are called Knights), but that was a typical practice of VIZ at the time; even though the content of the manga itself would be uncut and have a much higher age rating than an anime's TV broadcast, names and terms would be changed for consistency.  

Since getting into the series, I've checked out a few of the other Saint Seiya properties (primarily the Lost Canvas anime), but the original series has always been my favorite.

So yeah, that's why I'm posting here today.  I hope that, someday, Kurumada's other classic manga, Ring ni Kakero, can get an English release in some fashion.  The man has a particular way of writing and drawing, and he does it well.  

ZakAttak18

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:34:10 PM »
Very interesting man. Whenever I meet someone who knows about Saint Seiya they're usually people who watched it before I was even born lol! Ring ni Kakero is very good, but I could never finish it because of the lack of English material. Same for many of his other works, which apparently some even have anime, but they aren't in English. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-K8j_d3Cys (Fuma no Kojiro)

-Chairman Netero

SageofTime

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 03:34:20 PM »
I got into Saint Seiya a couple of years ago I think in 2011. I use to be apart of Deviantart and was really into Legend of Zelda art and one artist who did Zelda art also had done artwork for this anime that had guys in armor and it was called Saint Seiya. I never heard of it so I looked it up on Wikipedia and I watched a couple of episodes and I was instantly hooked. I think the reason why I haven't heard of the series previously was that Saint Seiya wasn't popular in the U.S. because there was a dubbing done in the early 2000's and it was awful because of the voice acting and they tried to present it as a kids show so they censored all the blood out. I think if they presented it with the other teen anime and had a better dubbing I think it would be more successful here.

ZakAttak18

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 07:21:04 PM »
I got into Saint Seiya a couple of years ago I think in 2011. I use to be apart of Deviantart and was really into Legend of Zelda art and one artist who did Zelda art also had done artwork for this anime that had guys in armor and it was called Saint Seiya. I never heard of it so I looked it up on Wikipedia and I watched a couple of episodes and I was instantly hooked. I think the reason why I haven't heard of the series previously was that Saint Seiya wasn't popular in the U.S. because there was a dubbing done in the early 2000's and it was awful because of the voice acting and they tried to present it as a kids show so they censored all the blood out. I think if they presented it with the other teen anime and had a better dubbing I think it would be more successful here.

That's so true! The English dub drove so many people away. It's such a shame because now practically no one knows about it except everyone that's not in the US XD. I just hope a new Saint Seiya anime comes out that's really good and draws people back into the series. It would be best if they remade the original or at least gave it new subs. Those old subs kill me every time, lol!

-Chairman Netero

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 05:13:13 PM »
Are you referring to the bootleg DVD subs, the ADV subs, or the recent Cinedigm subs?

SageofTime

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 06:36:30 PM »
Are you referring to the bootleg DVD subs, the ADV subs, or the recent Cinedigm subs?
Are you talking to me or ZakAttak?

Shunhades

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 07:49:24 PM »
How did I get into saint seiya?

Geeze, it was such a long time ago, but in the early 90's saint seiya was broadcasted though a spanish channel that was from mexico because it wasn't being shown in the US at the time. So since I lived in a border city, I was able to get that channel and watch it in spanish. xD ((This is also how I was able to watch Dragonball, Dragonballz, Magical Knight Rayearth, Samurai Troopers, etc, before any of them came to the US)).

Best part was it'd come on every saturday, and they didn't edit anything out, so I got to watch it uncut. It aired for years. xD Although it was known as Los Caballeros del Zodiaco.

So because of that it gave me the opportunity to watch things not available in the US. And this was before having internet in the house was a thing. So I basically got to watch things before a majority of people got to. But at the same time it was hard, because unless someone else was watching it. I basically had no one to talk to about it.

Even so it was great. Cause it was one of my saturday morning watchings growing up. xD
Saint Seiya Fan for over 20 years