Author Topic: Has Anyone Heard of Mahnwa and Webtoons?  (Read 2920 times)

SageofTime

Has Anyone Heard of Mahnwa and Webtoons?
« on: July 22, 2015, 03:31:05 PM »
I haven't heard mahnwa and webtoons until yesterday but what I think Mahnwha is the korean version of manga but the art is more realistic and more detailed and webtoons are mahnwa online. I was just curious does anyone know if these as popular as manga?

ACraftingNut

• Has discovered the Cosmo
  • I love Capricorn Shura & metal stamping!
    • View Profile
Re: Has Anyone Heard of Mahnwa and Webtoons?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 04:26:31 PM »
Yes, you are right:  "mahnwa" (sp?) is the Korean equivalent of "manga" (which is a Japanese word).
Many mahnwas are in the form of webtoons.
Not sure if webtoons are "more realistic"-- it's just that they have color, whereas most mangas are black and white.
I'm sure mahnwas are popular among Korean readers.  I haven't found many that have compelling stories, but I can recommend at least a few:

--Tower of God  (Genius!!   Kind of like Hunter x Hunter-- very interesting story with compelling characters)
--The Pale Horse (Shoujo Romance/Horror about vampires:  very beautiful artwork!!)
--A Thousand Year Nine Tails (Again, Shoujo Romance with supernatural with Korean folktale twist.  Banya reminds me of Inu Yasha + Scorpio Milo.  Cute and funny)
--Aisopos (A fictional story about Aesop.  Hauntingly unique, beautiful artwork!!   Would love to see children's book illustrated by this artist...  Great storytelling, too)

If anyone else has more recs, let me know.   

ACN

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 04:34:52 PM »
Outside of Korea?  Depends on if you're talking about regular, magazine-published manhwa or Webtoon stuff.  Magazine published stuff, I don't really see get discussed too much part for the occasional series that makes it big outside of SK.  The Breaker got huuuuuuuuge in the scan scene; it could probably make some good money in the US if someone would publish it here (France already has it...).  Manhwa, in general, doesn't do well in the US.  However, that's mainly because publishers like Tokyopop would bring series over and try to market them as manga when they're not the same thing.

Webtoon's foray into the English-speaking world has been very, very successful from what I hear.  Webtoon stuff already is a cash cow in SK, and it just keeps getting more and more popular here in the US of A.  Part of it likely has to do with the fact that it's free, and Line has figured out the dark arts to make that profitable.  The manga kids are already used to going to scan sites to read stuff for free, and this just capitalizes on what the demographic is used to.  Part of it might also have to do with the fact that Webtoon stuff is usually in full-color, though the background art for a lot of series tends to be kinda lackluster.

BTW, if anyone is looking for some good Webtoons to read, I highly reccommend Girls of the Wild's (yes, it's supposed to be an apostrophe s for some reason) and Tower of God.  I will note that GotW sets itself up as a stupid harem comedy in the first few episodes, but that's thrown aside almost immediately in favor of MMA action and love triangle stuff.  Panty shots disappear, and people get punched repeatedly in the the face and awkwardly try to sort out their relationships.  It's wonderful. Noblesse also seems pretty good; I need to read a bit more, though.

Also, word to the wise, most Webtoon's first few episodes (or at least the ones I've read) are kinda crappy, but they pick up pretty quick.

As to the art, I will say that most of the magazine manhwa stuff I've seen does tend to have better art than the Webtoons.  Part of it has to do with the fact that they don't have to worry about coloring every single panel of every single chapter, and I'm pretty sure the magazine artists usually have teams of assistants.  Webtoons tend to be a bit more solo.

@ACraftingNut:  Looks like you beat me to the punch.  Also, a lot of folks draw the HxH/ToG comparison.  I think Khun and his relationship with Bam might be the main reason for that.

ACraftingNut

• Has discovered the Cosmo
  • I love Capricorn Shura & metal stamping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »
@GVmanX
I might have typed my response faster than you, but you are definitely much more knowledgeable about Manhwa than I!!
Thanks for the interesting information.    :)

ACN

Rask

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 05:15:03 PM »
I have to learn to not click on reply and then go do other shit. I came back, wrote like 3 lines and got the warning that there are already some better replies.

I haven't heard mahnwa and webtoons until yesterday but what I think Mahnwha is the korean version of manga but the art is more realistic and more detailed and webtoons are mahnwa online. I was just curious does anyone know if these as popular as manga?
Mahnwa is just like manga, but its read normal (left to right) instead of reverse (right to left). Other than that, I don't think that they are more detailed or realistic, just like manga or comics that depends on the artist. They certainly aren't as popular as the japanese counterpart simply because there aren't  people from all over the world looking at the korean market. The only mahnwa title I can remember I read is Ragnarök (which is on perpetual hiatus).
As for webtoons, never heard, but google tells me its just how they call webcomics.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 05:51:42 PM »
Eh, not quite.  Webtoons are indeed webcomics, but Webtoon artists are actually paid and can get pretty famous.  Here's a rundown:  http://randomlyhaphazard.tumblr.com/post/27487688413/naver-webtoons-business-model

Basically, webcomics are self-published stuff done by folks for free.  Due to that last bit, they also rarely get updated or finished.  Webtoon creators get paid to make them, and, as such, get updated once a week.

Here's another article on Korean comics.  It points out that most of the Webtoon artists don't make much of living; that's only the super successful ones:  http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2015/05/203_151973.html  Granted, that could be said for every creative endeavor.

And here's an interview with the creator of Webtoon: http://comicbastards.com/comics/an-interview-with-junkoo-kim-creator-of-line-webtoon/

Thrudgelmir2333

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Writing with my heart, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 05:56:11 PM »
I've been following Tower of God for a few years, but sometimes I have a hard time keeping up with who's who in the cast. I don't regret discovering it, though.

SageofTime

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 06:35:46 PM »
Is manga or webtoons more popular? or are they both equally popular?

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 07:45:09 PM »
Is manga or webtoons more popular? or are they both equally popular?

I would say it's definitely manga, partially also because of anime and game it expands more to other markets. Although webtoon and manhwa popularity are definitely rising. Note that there are also manhua, which is the Chinese version of manga.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:53:04 AM by Niello »

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
I wish more manhua would be published in English, too.  ComicsOne brought over a few different martial arts/wuxia manhua that look really cool.  I bought a few books that I need to read.  It's a shame that Chinese comics have such a small presence here in the US (even smaller than Korean comics).  What's really weird is that they started being published here around the same time as manga: http://www.tcj.com/this-week-in-comics-7214-a-beginners-guide-to-jademan/ 

SageofTime

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
I have started reading the webtoon Noblesse and its good so far but the names are hard to memorize.  I notice with Manhwas there are aren't a wide range of categories like with manga. The categories with Manhwa is cheesy shojo romance, cheesy shojo vampire romance, and shounen which seems more like a seinen.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 07:33:26 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

SageofTime

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 10:24:33 PM »
Maybe this is the reason why Mawha/Webtoons isn't as popular as Manga they need to expand more on their categories

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 04:42:27 PM »
Eh, for something that just started having English translations, it's doing pretty damn well.  It's also super huge in Korea.  More genres definitely wouldn't hurt, but I feel like the businessmen at the helm are probably trying to play it safe.