Author Topic: What Do You Think is the Most Overrated Franchise?  (Read 7379 times)

Dynamixx

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Ball Kai CZ
Re: What Do You Think is the Most Overrated Franchise?
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2015, 07:00:04 AM »
2. So SRW is big only because of Gundam? ironic when Raiden-chan said that SRW is bigger than Gundam. I am not a robot fan and I have to say the series that helped understand mechas a little more is Gundam and Code Geass. The story is good and that's all there is to it.

Of course it is, no wonder that Gundam is called the Japanese Star Wars.
SRW is (was) based mainly on crossovers and that's the key to it's success. Gundam is the biggest selling and most popular Japanese robot genre franchise.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2015, 10:13:30 AM »
Overrated anime for me is One Piece (no appeal for the adult in me and so stretched)

If  I had read this comment years ago, I would have agreed with you but really if you had read/watched more of it, I believe things would be different. The reason why I kept reading it was because it was so popular and I wanted to find out what was that that made it look so big, it's not the art (although others would have said otherwise), but the clever story and the humor. For the art and only for me it is not the best series ever...that is all.

About Gundam. I actually like Seed. Zeta, After War X, and AGE tho...are horrible.

Dynamixx

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Ball Kai CZ
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2015, 02:51:21 PM »
If  I had read this comment years ago, I would have agreed with you but really if you had read/watched more of it, I believe things would be different. The reason why I kept reading it was because it was so popular and I wanted to find out what was that that made it look so big, it's not the art (although others would have said otherwise), but the clever story and the humor. For the art and only for me it is not the best series ever...that is all.

About Gundam. I actually like Seed. Zeta, After War X, and AGE tho...are horrible.

Story wasn't bad, but stretched too much. I didn't mind the art, I actually like everything that is different from the anime cliché look aka Slayers.
I actually saw 500 episodes. Laughed really like 3 times, mostly because of Zorro. Otherwise, I think that it's great series for kids, no contest and can see why is it so popular.
I enjoyed Naruto a lot more at first. It got boring later.

Really? Zeta is one of the best there I think. Main hero being unstable sadistic war-monger, that gets crippled in the end was one of the traits I liked it for.
But you know, 100 people, 100 tastes.
Not to mention great tech designs and story expansion of the One Year War.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2015, 03:21:30 PM »
I thought of another overrated anime Cowboy Bebop I find it okay but I won't consider it "the greatest anime of all time" and I don't get why people are calling it that

I think it's a "right place, right time" kind of thing, similar to how DBZ and Trigun became so big in the States.  Plus, it doesn't seem too foreign, so it was easier for folks in the US to get into.  Granted, it's not like it's unpopular in Japan; that old myth was disproved here recently, as the BD release in Japan was the number-one best-selling BD for a while.  I dunno who started it it, but I've heard for years that CB isn't popular in Japan at all.

I haven't really seen the show myself, so I can't really comment on the quality.

SageofTime

« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2015, 04:39:15 PM »
I dunno who started it it, but I've heard for years that CB isn't popular in Japan at all.
I also heard it isn't popular there and I read that it also almost didn't air there.

Dynamixx

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Ball Kai CZ
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2015, 02:25:57 AM »
I think it's a "right place, right time" kind of thing, similar to how DBZ and Trigun became so big in the States.  Plus, it doesn't seem too foreign, so it was easier for folks in the US to get into.  Granted, it's not like it's unpopular in Japan; that old myth was disproved here recently, as the BD release in Japan was the number-one best-selling BD for a while.  I dunno who started it it, but I've heard for years that CB isn't popular in Japan at all.

I haven't really seen the show myself, so I can't really comment on the quality.

Well, Cowboy Bebop isn't groundbreaking poll winning anime, but it's great anime series. The story, designs, jazz soundtrack that creates the whole atmosphere + done by the best studio that exists in Japan I think - Sunrise.
Maybe not popular in Japanese otaku-fandom but: In the 1999 Anime Grand Prix awards for the anime of 1998, Cowboy Bebop won two 1st place awards: Spike Spiegel was awarded the best male character; and Megumi Hayashibara was awarded the best voice actor for her role as Faye Valentine. Cowboy Bebop also received rankings in other categories: the series itself was awarded the 2nd best anime series; Faye Valentine and Ed were ranked the 5th and 9th best female characters respectively; "Tank!" and "The Real Folk Blues" were ranked the 3rd and 15th best songs respectively; and "Ballad of Fallen Angels", "Speak Like a Child", "Jamming with Edward" and "Mish-Mash Blues" were ranked the 2nd, 8th, 18th and 20th best episodes respectively.

Also:
Bebop received universal critical acclaim and won the renowned Seiun Award in 2000, a Japanese science fiction award for the best science fiction work published during the preceding year, as determined by the Japan Science Fiction Convention. It was named Best Media of the Year by the Science Fiction Convention.
In 2006, the Japanese MiniTokyo review claimed, "To say nothing more, it is a masterpiece, a genre defining series that has a right to be held in such high confidence. Not many series can do even one of the elements as well as Cowboy Bebop does, and even fewer can actually get every single solitary aspect of themselves to such a high degree of excellence. Everything in this anime falls into place with such perfection that makes it all organic and real and following to the extent that they do. From the full gamut of emotions to the roughs and roughnecks of the Bebop, to the masterful soundtrack that gives life to many of the episodes themselves, to the art that so perfectly conveys the mood and atmosphere of the entire work. Cowboy Bebop is not an anime to be missed, and not to be forgotten."

Also, the Cowboy Bebop is now 17 years old!!! So that makes sense that it is not popular, as it aired friggin' 17 years ago for 25 episodes and didn't span any huge franchise with model kits and tons of merchandise.
It's like asking kids today, if they know the 80's Thundercats or if they know the 80's Transformers or rather Re-boot from the early 90's.

I also like Samurai Champloo from the same director. Btw. it's hard to be dissapointed by anything from Sunrise at least visually, I've just got my hands on BD Patlabor and was blown away.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2015, 07:22:37 AM »

Really? Zeta is one of the best there I think. Main hero being unstable sadistic war-monger, that gets crippled in the end was one of the traits I liked it for.
But you know, 100 people, 100 tastes.
Not to mention great tech designs and story expansion of the One Year War.

Well just because it was a sequel of the first series doesn't mean it had to be good. I have to add that I got into the Gundam series because of the story, I am not a mecha fan (give me story with people with awesome powers or any sport series at all as I haven't rejected even one so far and I am good) whatsoever and so I found Zeta's story meh compared to the others. It was too predictable, even the ending...it was just a filler for Char and Amuro (less for Amuro). Last but not least main hero didn't even feel like a hero and that creepy look he has every now and then...just no.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2015, 08:15:59 AM »
I really need to rewarch Zeta; my memories of the show are starting to get pretty spotty. It's been six years, but it feels longer than that.