Author Topic: What Do You Think is the Most Overrated Franchise?  (Read 7303 times)

SageofTime

Re: What Do You Think is the Most Overrated Franchise?
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2015, 11:43:12 PM »
I always thought I wasn't into scifi... and then I discovered Super Robot Wars OG which is a mecha series. I was a Transformers fangirl as a teenager which probably helps with that particular genre. Space opera is also a lot different from DBZ-style fighting anime - I've been meaning to watch all Gundam series, The Legend of Galactic Heroes and Space Battleship Yamato for years.
I been meaning to watch Captain Harlock because I saw the movie which is a Space Opera. I should probably correct myself from my comment that I am not into Sci fi that involves aliens but other types of sci-fi I could watch if the plot interests me.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2015, 12:33:06 PM »
Super Robot Wars has aliens, but they all look completely human (except the Einst which are more of a hive-mind race that look like monsters). XD Wendolo and Mekibos from the Inspectors (part of the Zuvorg Alliance of planets) look completely human; same with Ingram, Viletta and the Gozzo family from Ze Balmary Empire (another planet).

In fact, it appears the Balmarians are actually related to humans - they just separated millions of years ago and settled on different planets. The only difference between Balmarians and Earthlings is that the former nearly always have psychic powers (this is rarer on Earth). ...The Inspectors and Guests - the "frontier military groups" of the Zuvorg Alliance - also share a common ancestor with Balmarians and humans.

So the Einst are really the only non-humanoid alien race. ...I don't count the Ruina since they're actually negative emotions given human form.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2015, 02:03:18 AM »
Don't know about the other Super Robot Wars series I have only watched Divine Wars and I have to say I am pretty disappointed of the series.  First they bring Masaki (or should I say Junichi) and Shu from another series and they are supposed to be dead, made Masaki an immature greenhorn kid (and has no sense of direction) with two familiars and he is looking for Shu. Story was all over the place and was pretty bleh... I don't know about you but maybe I should add it in my list of the overrated series. I only watched it out of curiosity because I heard so many good things about it but sadly I feel I was cheated.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2015, 09:13:22 AM »
All of Japan disagrees with you. It's a bigger hit over there than Gundam. Hikaru Midorikawa - Masaki's voice actor - is a huge fan of the series and he even adlibs lines for free. ...The entire franchise started in 1991 and it's still going strong - they've made 53 games, three anime series and two or three manga... and a completely unrelated anime series called Cybuster (the characters are all screwy here, Masaki is two different people called Ken and Masaki, Shu Zoldark is basically an amalgamation of Shu and Bian, then there's Ryune Frank and Saphine Grace... and none of them act or look like the actual SRW characters).

Masaki's also always been Masaki. He isn't based on anyone else. Also, who the utter fuck is Junichi?

Masaki: a human from Japan who gets teleported INSIDE the Earth where he finds an entire world called Las Gias. There he finds and bonds with Cybuster, a mecha that runs on magical power and is blessed with the skills of a wind god (all Masouki - Las Gias mecha - have patron gods). He starts chasing Shu all over the world after Shu kills Masaki's teacher and father figure in Las Gias - they have lots of battles along the way, and in the Super Robot Wars Alpha universe, Masaki kills Shu. ...The fandom backlashed so badly that Banpresto had to retcon their decision and revive Shu for the later games. ...Masaki's sense of direction is also one of his most recognizable qualities. The fandom loves him for it and constantly makes jokes about him.

Masaki and Shu both originated in 2nd Super Robot Wars, a game made in 1991. They predate pretty much every mecha series of the 1990s.

Oh, and Asakim Dowen from Super Robot Wars Z turned out to be Masaki. From the PAST. Everybody actually thought he was Masaki of the future, but instead it turned out that after Asakim died, his soul traveled to another time loop and he was reincarnated as Masaki. This gives the lettucehead a very, very unique background story.

As for Shu, I doubt he's a copy of anyone. He designed and built Granzon, his own personal mecha, at the age of 22; then he designed and built the Antimatter Annihilation Engine which powers Granzon and gives it the ability to create black holes. ...Later in the story, he upgrades Granzon into the Neo Granzon... which has enough power to destroy the solar system in one hit. Neo Granzon is the original superpowered mecha... it's from that game in 1991.

Then there's Ingram Prisken. Disguised among the humans, he turns out to be the clone of Euzeth Gozzo, a very high-ranking man from Ze Balmary Empire. But Ingram's consciousness existed for thousands of years before the cloning - in fact, Euzeth took Ingram's mind, trapped it inside the clone body and basically forced him into following him. He just didn't count on one thing. Ingram always moved of his own accord despite the mind control - even while supposedly 'betraying Masaki and co.', he was following his own agenda and actually HELPING them in their fight against Euzeth. He's called a Time Diver, a person who can travel between time and space in order to make sure universes don't collapse on themselves (after his death, his soul is absorbed by Cobray Gordon, another Euzeth clone - Cobray then becomes the second Time Diver).

...Besides, Sänger Zonvolt and Rätsel Feinschmecker ("Mysterious Gourmet? Is my translator broken?") are the most badass / manliest characters in the story. At least the fandom seems to agree on it. ;P You don't screw with Sänger and Elz- Rätsel. Only real men ride on each other! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYsNEB3PUTw

Super Robot Wars is also one of the few game series where the main villain is weakened by music. In Super Robot Wars Alpha III, the main villain of the entire FRANCHISE gets JAM Project's "GONG" sung at him and it saps his energy. That villain, Keisar Ephes, also happens to be an evil god who was originally human. And his voice actor is Ichiro Mizuki. Yup. How many games or anime can actually say that?

Anyhow, the reason Divine Wars and Inspector seem "all over the place" is because they were never intended for new watchers. They're fanservice anime aimed at the fandom. The games have the full, real story. And it makes a whole lot more sense when not shortened into anime form. ...I can't wait for 3rd Super Robot Wars OG. I'm really hoping they'll finally get to combine Alpha III's storyline with the OG storyline. Selena Recital, Baran Doban, Ace Gozzo, Hazal Gozzo and Keisar Ephes~ Hopefully the Judecca clones of the Gozzo family show up, too.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2015, 10:34:28 AM »
Super Robot Wars has aliens, but they all look completely human (except the Einst which are more of a hive-mind race that look like monsters). XD Wendolo and Mekibos from the Inspectors (part of the Zuvorg Alliance of planets) look completely human; same with Ingram, Viletta and the Gozzo family from Ze Balmary Empire (another planet).

In fact, it appears the Balmarians are actually related to humans - they just separated millions of years ago and settled on different planets. The only difference between Balmarians and Earthlings is that the former nearly always have psychic powers (this is rarer on Earth). ...The Inspectors and Guests - the "frontier military groups" of the Zuvorg Alliance - also share a common ancestor with Balmarians and humans.

Don't forget that the Balmarians are mostly clones.  

@Seiya:  The games are better.  Give those a shot.

@Most of Rai's Post:  I love how crazy so much of the series is.  I wouldn't say it's a bigger hit than Gundam, though; SRW's sales are mainly video games, whereas Gundam sells a lot more with the anime and model kits and manga.  Though, I wouldn't be surprised if the SRW games do tend to outsell Gundam games.

Really, SRW is only as big as it is, because of all the crazy crossover stuff, which includes Gundam.  The OG stuff has definitely risen to prominence here recently, and is probably better-liked now than the big crossover series, Z; the Amazon Japan reviews seem to back this up.  But seeing series like Gundam, Mazinger, and Getter all in the same universe is the reason why the franchise exists in the first place.

Anyhow, the reason Divine Wars and Inspector seem "all over the place" is because they were never intended for new watchers. They're fanservice anime aimed at the fandom. The games have the full, real story. And it makes a whole lot more sense when not shortened into anime form. ...I can't wait for 3rd Super Robot Wars OG. I'm really hoping they'll finally get to combine Alpha III's storyline with the OG storyline. Selena Recital, Baran Doban, Ace Gozzo, Hazal Gozzo and Keisar Ephes~ Hopefully the Judecca clones of the Gozzo family show up, too.

I need to catch up with the OG series.  I wanted to finish Alpha 1 before I got to any other entry; I only have a few stages left.  I still need to finish OG 2, OGG, and 2nd OG.
Naruto and now, Attack On Titan.

I'm curious how long we have until AoT implodes.  I don't get the feeling that it's ever going to maintain its popularity like Naruto; AoT really strikes me as one of those "flash in the pan" series.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2015, 11:09:25 AM »

Masaki's also always been Masaki. He isn't based on anyone else. Also, who the utter fuck is Junichi?

Really you don't know? Junichi is the real name of Masaki in Cybuster series. I do prefer the 4 Robot Gods and whether it was an unrelated series ( I didn't know that it was) or not it felt much better than the SRW with the story being all over the place. Oh and I am new to the series, haven't even played the games either..so yeah that did not help me as a newbie.

Midorikawa sucks ass...the dude should give up acting...him and Yamaguchi (Baki, Inuyasha, Ranma, Shinichi Kudo, Kaito Kid, Usopp etc etc). The only annoying voices there are out there.

1. The games are better.  Give those a shot.

2. Really, SRW is only as big as it is, because of all the crazy crossover stuff, which includes Gundam.  The OG stuff has definitely risen to prominence here recently, and is probably better-liked now than the big crossover series, Z; the Amazon Japan reviews seem to back this up.  But seeing series like Gundam, Mazinger, and Getter all in the same universe is the reason why the franchise exists in the first place.

1. I am not into Tactical games.

2. So SRW is big only because of Gundam? ironic when Raiden-chan said that SRW is bigger than Gundam. I am not a robot fan and I have to say the series that helped understand mechas a little more is Gundam and Code Geass. The story is good and that's all there is to it.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2015, 11:00:49 AM »
Can't say I've ever seen the Cybuster anime.  I've always heard it sucks.  :P  With that series, I think it's more like they took the Cybuster name and design (and song) and made something completely unrelated.

This ain't like Fire Emblem or Disgaea, if that's what you're using as your points of reference.  They're pretty easy to get into.

It's not big ONLY because of Gundam, but it played a role; Getter and Mazinger also played a part, as well as every other franchise featured.  However, that's not to downplay the series' own original plots.  I don't think the franchise would've had near the staying power if it wasn't for the strength of the original content's writing, as well as how well SRW tends to blend the plots of the various mecha anime it uses and makes it work.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2015, 01:22:14 PM »
Perhaps the game is good I can't say anything about it as I haven't played it at all but the series is out of question. Too predictable but so much was going on at the same time..escalated so fast so I am thinking whether I should watch the next series or not.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2015, 09:32:19 PM »
Really you don't know? Junichi is the real name of Masaki in Cybuster series. I do prefer the 4 Robot Gods and whether it was an unrelated series ( I didn't know that it was) or not it felt much better than the SRW with the story being all over the place. Oh and I am new to the series, haven't even played the games either..so yeah that did not help me as a newbie.

...Oh god. That Cybuster anime series was BASED on Super Robot Wars. Junichi is a copy of Masaki, not the other way around. XD Masaki and Shu have been around since 1991, while Cybuster is from 1999.

Junichi's a really shitty copy, too. They just took Masaki, broke him into two different characters (Ken Ando and Masaki/Junichi) and ran with it. Dr. Shu Zoldark is a hybrid of Shu Shirakawa and Bian Zoldark, while Ryune Frank is based on Ryune Zoldark, Bian's daughter. Saphine Grace is also an SRW character - Cybuster took her name and changed her personality and identity completely. Oh, and the Cybuster anime's Cybuster is also weaker than the actual Cybuster it was based on.

Masaki's Cybuster has access to the Akashic records - the combined memories, emotions and life experiences of every human and animal since the beginning of time. i.e. "containing all knowledge of human experience and all experiences as well as the history of the cosmos encoded or written in the very aether or fabric of all existence" - this means that SRW's Cybuster is basically omniscient. The Akashic Buster, Cosmo Nova and Akashic Nova attacks are capable of wiping Cybuster's opponents from the Akashic records, effectively wiping them out of existence and out of the memories of all living things (technically - doesn't really happen in the games).

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2015, 09:49:01 PM »
Yeah, I got that part later but I still prefer the Cybuster series but anyway that's my personal opinion. Everything you told me about Cybuster and what it can do was not really in the SRW DW. What kind of guy is Shu? is he really a bad person? in the last episode if I am not mistaken he said "I guess they don't need me" which means he was willing to help and what did he do that Masaki wants him so badly?

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »
Shu is half-Earthling and half-Lasgiasian - his father was from Las Gias (a world inside the Earth), and abducted an Earthling woman. Shu was born from that encounter - his full real name is Christoph Gran McSord. His mother tried to use him as a human sacrifice for an evil Lasgiasian god called Volkruss - this would have helped her get back home to Earth (she didn't really care about her son at all). Shu, obviously, was against this and made a pact with Volkruss - in exchange for his life, he would work for him. ...He fully intended to cut his ties to Volkruss afterwards, but found that he couldn't. Volkruss had established a mental connection with him and wouldn't let him go... he was essentially a prisoner of Volkruss's, forced into working for him for as long as he lived.

He's now 22 years old and has several Ph.D.'s - he ended up designing and building his mecha, Granzon, all on his own. Then he designed and built the Antimatter Annihilation Engine that powers it and became its pilot.

While piloting Granzon in Las Gias, he killed Masaki's father figure Zeoroot Zan Zenosakis. This is what compelled Masaki to start chasing him around the world... at first. When he caught up to Shu, some talk ensued and Masaki realized the actual reason why he wanted to fight him was because Shu pissed him off. XD

Shu's a very ambiguous figure - he can't really be thought of as evil or good. He isn't evil because he only works for Volkruss since he has no other choice, but at the same time he isn't good because he ends up killing and hurting people for his own agenda. Shu's reason for fighting is because he wants to free himself from Volkruss's control - he hates being tied down and independence is the most important thing in the world to him. That's why he also changes sides so fickly - since he fights for his own freedom, he only really fights with the side that helps him achieve this goal.

...Masaki and Shu actually kind of become friends at the end of Super Robot Wars Gaiden. That will likely translate over to Super Robot Wars OG.

PS. Thanks to all this talk about SRW, I had to go watch the "Umasugi Wave" AMV again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObwmiIcgz54 This AMV's music is the opening theme to the Super Robot Wars radio show - it's sung by Masaaki Endoh, and the chorus lyrics are basically battle skills from the games. XD We also get Tomokazu Sugita (Brooklyn Luckfield) and Mai Aizawa (Mail Beater) yelling random lines. ...I like how the video matches the music... I think I just about died at the scene with Kyosuke and his Alt Eisen.

Oh, and btw! I just remembered! Masaki Ando's name might be based on Masaaki Endoh.

SageofTime

« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2015, 03:03:48 PM »
I thought of another overrated anime Cowboy Bebop I find it okay but I won't consider it "the greatest anime of all time" and I don't get why people are calling it that

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2015, 11:13:18 PM »
I thought of another overrated anime Cowboy Bebop I find it okay but I won't consider it "the greatest anime of all time" and I don't get why people are calling it that

Yeah, I don't get it...Americans (not including myself) have entitled this series as the best out there...like are you serious?

SageofTime

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2015, 01:24:21 PM »
Yeah, I don't get it...Americans (not including myself) have entitled this series as the best out there...like are you serious?
I also don't get why they are saying it is a original there is space bounty hunters in stuff that was before Cowboy Bebop

Dynamixx

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Ball Kai CZ
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2015, 06:56:15 AM »
Overrated anime for me is One Piece (no appeal for the adult in me and so stretched), Evangelion (don't like the designs and anime cliché) and Attack on Titan (boring).
My favorite franchises are Gundam (Universal Century), Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball... I like them mostly because of the western influences + I like Wusha movies,
the japanese otaku-moe shit isn't for me (like Gundam Seed).