Author Topic: What Do You Think is the Most Overrated Franchise?  (Read 7302 times)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
Re: What Do You Think is the Most Overrated Franchise?
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2015, 05:14:37 AM »
Well I think that any manga series that was popular among readers and then gets an anime series and the anime series is very popular and stuff like that is due to the fans. Personally I can't wait for "My Hero Academia" to get an anime series. I love the manga to death and it is my new favorite series so...I think there many out there that think the same. Ace of Diamond and Haikyu same thing. I knew the series before and was pretty excited to hear that they were starting an anime too. Heck I even posted (Haikyu) it on this forum but I suppose no one knew about the series.

Janet

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2015, 08:49:45 PM »
I'm the complete opposite - I usually end up avoiding popular series like the plague (Attack on Titan, anyone?), and only watch them if I'm actually interested. ...Ace of Diamond, Haikyuu, Kuroko no Basket and One Piece deserve the hype they get. Especially One Piece because honestly, Eiichiro Oda is an amazing storyteller.

Yea I'm the same way, I usually stay away from overrated anime.. I enjoy watching anime that aren't popular some that come to mind would be Samurai Deeper Kyo, Brave 10,  Inu Boku ss, Elemental Gelade, Hiiro no Kakera, The qwaser of stigmata and Sunday without God   ..

SageofTime

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2015, 10:32:25 PM »
I tend to watch anime that is popular but not to the point of them being considered overrated like DBZ I have watched a little of it but the series doesn't interest me that much mostly because it is talked about so much that I am tired of hearing how "fantastic" it is and the series mostly involves fighting aliens from other planets and sci-fi doesn't interest me that much.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2015, 11:20:01 PM »
I tend to watch anime that is popular but not to the point of them being considered overrated like DBZ I have watched a little of it but the series doesn't interest me that much mostly because it is talked about so much that I am tired of hearing how "fantastic" it is and the series mostly involves fighting aliens from other planets and sci-fi doesn't interest me that much.

Actually, the first third or so of the series is a Journey to the West-inspired Kung Fu fantasy with no (known) aliens. So yeah, quite a bit different than you'd think. Dragon Ball is more than just Dragon Ball Z.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2015, 01:32:36 AM »
Yea I'm the same way, I usually stay away from overrated anime.. I enjoy watching anime that aren't popular some that come to mind would be Samurai Deeper Kyo, Brave 10,  Inu Boku ss, Elemental Gelade, Hiiro no Kakera, The qwaser of stigmata and Sunday without God   ..

I think you just need to read/watch for yourself and say if you liked it or not. Samurai Deeper Kyo, Brave 10 and Elemental Gelade were meh for me. I don't know the rest of your list.

Actually, the first third or so of the series is a Journey to the West-inspired Kung Fu fantasy with no (known) aliens. So yeah, quite a bit different than you'd think. Dragon Ball is more than just Dragon Ball Z.

It stopped being Journey to the West a long time before the Saiyan Arc.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2015, 07:00:58 AM »
I think you just need to read/watch for yourself and say if you liked it or not. Samurai Deeper Kyo, Brave 10 and Elemental Gelade were meh for me. I don't know the rest of your list.

It stopped being Journey to the West a long time before the Saiyan Arc.

Yeah, but the point I was trying to make was that it didn't become Sci-Fi fighting aliens until then. The Journey to the West bit was just meant to describe the initial inspiration (Him being Sun Wukong, or as he was known in Japan, Son Goku).

SageofTime

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »
Yeah, but the point I was trying to make was that it didn't become Sci-Fi fighting aliens until then. The Journey to the West bit was just meant to describe the initial inspiration (Him being Sun Wukong, or as he was known in Japan, Son Goku).
I know that the alien-thing doesn't happen until DBZ I have seen the first 15 episode of DB. I wasn't referring to the whole series just DBZ

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »
True that but according to Toriyama himself is that he gave us the illusion that this is where it was going when it developed as he wished it. There were things that he didn't reveal on purpose and not because it happened this way. Toriyama tricked you (plural), as for me I wasn't expecting anything from the series.

I know that the alien-thing doesn't happen until DBZ I have seen the first 15 episode of DB. I wasn't referring to the whole series just DBZ

You forgot Piccolo already? I know you mean the very first part but remember you don't throw in your trump card from the start. You play it low. The next villain is always stronger than the previous one and so on.

Saint Seiya is the same. Bronze-Silver-Gold-Gods.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2015, 05:50:41 PM »

I always thought I wasn't into scifi... and then I discovered Super Robot Wars OG which is a mecha series. I was a Transformers fangirl as a teenager which probably helps with that particular genre. Space opera is also a lot different from DBZ-style fighting anime - I've been meaning to watch all Gundam series, The Legend of Galactic Heroes and Space Battleship Yamato for years.

Though I think I'll go with the 2199 version of Yamato, considering the animation is so amazing (and the original fandom actually likes it which means it's a REALLY good remake). Firing of the Wave Motion Gun also looks really impressive in Yamato 2199.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2015, 07:30:44 AM »
Oh yeah I just remembered another overrated series... Fate/.... very bleh series and yet there are people going crazy for it.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2015, 12:01:32 PM »
I've been meaning to watch the Fate series for years. ...Personally I wouldn't call Fate overrated since the fandom is really small compared to most popular series - not to mention nearly all fanart in the franchise comes from Japanese people (I've actually never met western people who count the show among their favorites).

...I also own one of the games, namely Fate/Extra. I absolutely LOVE how it teaches history to people, while telling a fictional story at the same time. Heck, Fate/Extra taught me things about Francis Drake and Robin Hood I never knew about, despite being a history geek.

At least this franchise knows how to make good remakes - the animation in UBW looks fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH4yh1y1Hsc ...The fighting also looks very smooth and fluid, as if they used motion capture to get it right.

There are four reasons why I really want to watch this show: the voice actors, animation, music and the entire concept of historical people reincarnating. I have an especially soft spot for the Lancers, thanks to Celtic mythology, Nobutoshi Canna (SN/UBW Lancer) and Hikaru Midorikawa (Zero Lancer).

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2015, 09:08:05 PM »
Oh yeah I just remembered another overrated series... Fate/.... very bleh series and yet there are people going crazy for it.

At the very least Fate/Zero is genuinely amazing and deserve all the praises it got if you ask me. Most importantly it got Rider (together with Waver), awesome charismatic character. I don't think I could say the same for the actual Fate/Stay Night though...it has potential and pretty enjoyable but kind of...muddled.

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2015, 09:45:58 PM »
Naruto and now, Attack On Titan.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2015, 01:00:55 AM »
I've been meaning to watch the Fate series for years. ...Personally I wouldn't call Fate overrated since the fandom is really small compared to most popular series - not to mention nearly all fanart in the franchise comes from Japanese people (I've actually never met western people who count the show among their favorites).

...I also own one of the games, namely Fate/Extra. I absolutely LOVE how it teaches history to people, while telling a fictional story at the same time. Heck, Fate/Extra taught me things about Francis Drake and Robin Hood I never knew about, despite being a history geek.

At least this franchise knows how to make good remakes - the animation in UBW looks fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH4yh1y1Hsc ...The fighting also looks very smooth and fluid, as if they used motion capture to get it right.

There are four reasons why I really want to watch this show: the voice actors, animation, music and the entire concept of historical people reincarnating. I have an especially soft spot for the Lancers, thanks to Celtic mythology, Nobutoshi Canna (SN/UBW Lancer) and Hikaru Midorikawa (Zero Lancer).

I wouldn't call it small fandom at all. Also you have to check the views and ratings in fan sites. If it's because of the animation fair enough. The characters are designed very well, I 'll give them that. Everyone likes the pretty boys ( Gilgamesh [my personal favorite..cool powers :P], Lancer, Archer). Arthur is bleh...she is a tomboy, they don't make female characters as they used to either they are tomboys or moe...never the between which I like... Nami, Robin, Violet, Rebecca etc etc.

The story is not good either...the world building is bleh...but whatever.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2015, 03:55:48 PM »
Well, Saber in the Fate/Extra game is Emperor Nero. XD She basically acts like royalty (kind of haughty) and speaks like a medieval novel. ...I also love the game's female Francis Drake. She's an amazing badass pirate/admiral... plus she has Urara Takano's voice which automatically makes me love her.

My favorites in Fate are the Lancers. Spears are my favorite medieval weapon and Lancer-class characters help me come up with fighting styles and moves for my OCs. XD The history behind this is also incredible. Gae Bolg and Cuchulainn? (Damn, now I want to make OC Servants based on Finnish folk heroes.)