Author Topic: What Do You Think is the Most Overrated Franchise?  (Read 7301 times)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
Re: What Do You Think is the Most Overrated Franchise?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 01:53:11 PM »

Weekly Shonen Jump is a popular magazine for both little kids and teenagers (and some adults as well) in Japan.

That's because Shounen counts for all ages for boys but that doesn't mean if the content is childish the teens will read it anyway. As far as I know Seinen demographically is considered when there is  explicit content like Gantz and Terraformars which by the way there were plenty of times I wanted to throw up. When the protagonist is a schoolboy preschool -elementary in which is usually a cute little boy you won't see any blood or death in the series such as Doraemon and Yokai Watch but if the boy is a teenager there is blood,death and love. Anyway I think that the age of the protagonist might reflect the age of the readers and such. I could be wrong but every series did not prove the opposite so far.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 02:02:24 PM »
Kinnikuman, Fist of the North Star, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure all eventually left Shonen and went Seinen. It's because standards changed. You used to be able to show a woman's nipples in Shonen (all the time in the 70s, rarely in the 80s, almost never in the 90s), but now that ain't happening. You used to see stuff like Fist of the North Star's detailed organ explosions, but now that's Seinen and above.

Standards change over time.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 04:21:47 PM »
Blame Go Nagai. After nudity was allowed for purposes of sex education in Japan in the 70s, he proved that pervy stuff full of nudity was popular with the Shonen audience.

Don't forget that Violence Jack was also published in a shonen magazine.

When the protagonist is a schoolboy preschool -elementary in which is usually a cute little boy you won't see any blood or death in the series such as Doraemon and Yokai Watch but if the boy is a teenager there is blood,death and love.

This sounds like the name of a Fist of the North Star episode.

SageofTime

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 05:49:03 PM »
Don't forget that Violence Jack was also published in a shonen magazine.
Also Bastard!! was too and I can't believe it was. I looked up to see what it was about because it I was looking at the different Shonen Weekly Jump's best sellers of all time and its basically Dungeons and Dragons with magical spells and places that are puns on Heavy Metal Bands but there is ecchi crap in it I don't know what idiots put that in a shonen magazine :angry: but I read it went to Ultra Jump

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »
Yeah, it was pretty controversial at the time, mainly due to some of the sexy stuff.  One early chapter ended with Dark Schneider taking a young woman to bed with him, and due to complaints the very next chapter had her still in bed with him but with underwear on.  It's pretty fun, though, or what I've read of it is.  It was kinda popular with girls for the same reasons City Hunter and Inu Yasha  were/are.

Violence Jack, though, has full-on rape and other stuff that wouldn't be caught anywhere near a shonen magazine now. 

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
Frozen take no. 1, no competition there. This is the first time I have seen such massive amount of people craze over something that really don't have much to it. It's somewhat analogous to people crazing over pop-songs that aren't really all that great.
My other choice from recent memories would go to Inception.

My choice for games are...quite a number of free-to-play games including but not limited to Candy Crush, Angry Birds...and all those stuffs. Oh, and FIFA...I don't get what could even make it reasonable to keep buying a new one year after year...

When it comes to manga and anime...

- Naruto
- Sword Art Online
- Now and Then, Here and There

For me it is Pokémon

I liked the series when I was a kid and thought that some of pokemon were adorable like Pikachu but the games and anime got old like the you do the same thing in every single game like get a starter pokemon, beat gym leaders, battle rival, defeat the bad guy teams, defeat elite four and complete pokedex the only difference is new characters, pokemon, and regions.

The anime has similar things that happen in a lot of episodes such as Ash wants to be a pokemon master and he defeats gym leaders with foiling Team Rockets plans along the way but he never wins a league. So in 2010 I stopped liking the series and moved on and the last game I played was Platinum and I haven't played a game since. For me to keep me interested in something you have to mix things up and pokemon doesn't do that.

From my understanding the core of Pokemon games are the multiplayer aspects, namely trading and battling. So, the strategy side of thing, is what I would say is what Pokemon's really about for people that spend a huge amount of time on the games. Since it's the same franchise and a game at that it can get away with simple storylines if the gameplay is good (Mario and Zelda games are also mostly like this if you think about it), after all if you really want a great story you would probably go for movies or books. While there are games that really make use to of the interactive aspect to really push and polish the story, they are the minority.

As for the anime, it's a spin-off. If you want to take that awful Pokemon anime into account when judging the franchise, then you should count Saint Seiya spin-offs when you try to judge it as a franchise as well (so, LoS, Omega and the games are included) otherwise you're just being bias. So, do that, or exclude the spin-offs for both franchises.

Just giving some alternative views :)

PS. Black and White seems to be many people favourite for attempting more with the story so you might want to look up more on that if your're interested...most of the Pokemon designs are sub-par though, there's not much I can do to defend that... =/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:02:31 PM by Niello »

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 12:13:52 AM »

PS. Black and White seems to be many people favourite for attempting more with the story so you might want to look up more on that if your're interested...most of the Pokemon designs are sub-par though, there's not much I can do to defend that... =/

That's probably because Ken Sugimori doesn't design them anymore but supervise which is sad.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 12:29:54 AM »
Pokémon has a horrible and childish anime, but I love the games. However, my favorite thing about Pokémon is the Adventures manga - Satoshi Tajiri himself has said that this manga is the closest to the world he created.

Adventures is really refreshing in the way that humans and Pokémon can both get killed - the manga also has a very mature and gritty feel to it - here's Norman (the Gym Leader) being scary and lecturing his son, by roughhousing him (he actually punches Ruby right in the cheek after this scene and sends him flying... a 10-year-old boy). Norman's such a nice guy in the anime; in the games, he's a little tougher; but in the manga, he honestly gets on a whole new level. The manga even made the Frontier Brains badass in the Emerald arc, especially Noland. And Steven. Oh goody, Steven and Norman's level of badassery just goes through the roof here. See, both of them end up controlling Legendary Pokémon through sheer willpower without even catching them (Steven with all three Regi at the same time, Norman with Rayquaza).

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 12:39:48 AM »
@Raiden, I'm a 100% with you on that. The manga is great.

SageofTime

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 08:46:27 PM »
Pokémon has a horrible and childish anime, but I love the games. However, my favorite thing about Pokémon is the Adventures manga - Satoshi Tajiri himself has said that this manga is the closest to the world he created.

Adventures is really refreshing in the way that humans and Pokémon can both get killed - the manga also has a very mature and gritty feel to it
I agree that the pokmon manga has a darker tone to it like I think in one of the volumes I think a Arcboc had its head cut and I remember in the games and in the anime Lance one of the members of the elite 4 was a nice guy but in the manga he tried to kill Yellow by making her fall into the Volcano

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 07:44:10 AM »
Yeah, manga Lance is AWESOME. I just like how the characters have different personalities. ...Manga's version of Blue (i.e. Gary) is also so charming and ksdjhgds. Certainly an improvement from the "Smell ya later!" idiot. Blue's probably among my top-5 favorite characters.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 07:58:12 AM »
Yeah, manga Lance is AWESOME. I just like how the characters have different personalities. ...Manga's version of Blue (i.e. Gary) is also so charming and ksdjhgds. Certainly an improvement from the "Smell ya later!" idiot. Blue's probably among my top-5 favorite characters.

Not to mention that he is younger (pre HGSS retcon) and has talents that the anime Lance doesn't. To be able to heal and hear Pokemon and the unique ability to control the dragons. He turned out good in the end so he is not such a bad guy.

Well in the original manga his name was Green, Blue was a girl remember? but I suppose after FireRed, LeafGreen they switched their names...which is kinda weird no matter how I look at it. For me he is still Green.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 08:07:34 AM »
The translation I've been reading calls him Blue and the girl is Green. XD In the Japanese version, they were named after their eye colors (Red has red eyes, guy has green eyes, girl has blue eyes). I just think it makes more sense to call the guy Blue, though. Blue is a guy's color. XD Green is more unisex.

That reminds me, I need to get back to reading the manga. I still haven't finished the Diamond and Pearl arc.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 08:14:14 AM »
The translation I've been reading calls him Blue and the girl is Green. XD In the Japanese version, they were named after their eye colors (Red has red eyes, guy has green eyes, girl has blue eyes). I just think it makes more sense to call the guy Blue, though. Blue is a guy's color. XD Green is more unisex.

That reminds me, I need to get back to reading the manga. I still haven't finished the Diamond and Pearl arc.

Viz changed the rival to be Blue and the new girl to be Green since American got Red and Blue (but no Green, unlike Japan, which got Red and Green, then Blue later on).

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 08:44:37 AM »
I'm more used to Red and Green as well. In fact I'm not used to people calling him Blue, like, at all...it just sounds weird. His personality is so much more mature in the manga, and Red has that big brother feel to the younger protagonists. Blue is great too, I appreciate the tie-in with Silver.

One of my favourite thing about the manga is how the characters are given titles from the professors associated with each character specialties, like Breeder for Gold, Evolver for Blue, Fighter for Red, Calmer for Emerald etc.