Author Topic: What Do You Think is the Most Overrated Franchise?  (Read 7380 times)

SageofTime

What Do You Think is the Most Overrated Franchise?
« on: June 06, 2015, 09:04:29 PM »
What do you think is the most overrated franchise? It can be anything from movie, videogame, anime, tv series etc.

For me it is Pokémon

I liked the series when I was a kid and thought that some of pokemon were adorable like Pikachu but the games and anime got old like the you do the same thing in every single game like get a starter pokemon, beat gym leaders, battle rival, defeat the bad guy teams, defeat elite four and complete pokedex the only difference is new characters, pokemon, and regions.

The anime has similar things that happen in a lot of episodes such as Ash wants to be a pokemon master and he defeats gym leaders with foiling Team Rockets plans along the way but he never wins a league. So in 2010 I stopped liking the series and moved on and the last game I played was Platinum and I haven't played a game since. For me to keep me interested in something you have to mix things up and pokemon doesn't do that.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
Re: What Do You Think is the Most Overrated Franchise?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:04:23 PM »
Nah Bleach is the most overrated series. All this hype for nothing. Actually Soul Eater as well. It was stupid as hell and it was very popular( not sure if it's still popular tho but back in the days it was).

Well Sage-san Pokemon was meant for kids anyway...so it shouldn't be a surprise that you stop liking it at a certain age. ;)

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 11:16:14 PM »
Well Sage-san Pokemon was meant for kids anyway...so it shouldn't be a surprise that you stop liking it at a certain age. ;)

Saint Seiya was also meant for kids, along with the rest of Shonen Jump (Japan has odd standards for kids).

But yeah, 26, still love Pokemon (the anime is crap, but the games are awesome, and the Pokemon Adventures manga is a solid read).

I'd say Naruto is overrated, because it is awful. Absolutely awful.

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 11:38:15 PM »
Saint Seiya was also meant for kids, along with the rest of Shonen Jump (Japan has odd standards for kids).

Japan has odd standards in everything as far as I've seen.

As for the franchises, I'd say Bleach (too long and I really got bored), and Naruto (same reasons, and the art is not my cup of tea). Though I hear about those two less and less and more about One Piece (but I haven't read/watched it so I can't tell if it's overrated or not)
:seiya: " Allô Shiryu, c'est toi ?"
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"

Janet

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 11:46:02 PM »
if were talking about an anime that's been talked about for centuries then Dragon ball z and Sailor Moon , but if were talking about an anime from this century then Gintama, Fairy Tail, Sword Art Onlne and Attack on Titan hands down...

As for video games I would say Black ops and Final Fantasy ..

& for movies I'll say the Avengers, Harry Potter, Twilight, Transformers and Frozen lol

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 02:21:43 AM »

But yeah, 26, still love Pokemon (the anime is crap, but the games are awesome, and the Pokemon Adventures manga is a solid read).

I'd say Naruto is overrated, because it is awful. Absolutely awful.

No no...kids as in preschool,toddlers...that kind. So, you are 26...do you watch the anime still even it's such a crap?.

Saint Seiya has blood and deaths, Pokemon doesn't they are in a different category for sure. A 6 year old boy is still a Shounen as a 12 year old boy but has different interests. Sure the manga is a good read but that's just it. Lance/Wataru is my favorite character, I was hoping I could see more of him but of well.

Naruto is not overrated at all. The story is really good, very interesting don't know if your have read it or not but it really is one of the best stories out there. Sure the concept is not so great ( I don't even like ninjas) but the story has a deep meaning to it and I like it.

Reikyavic

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 02:33:32 AM »
I personally prefer japan's kind of standards for kids' media because kids are not stupid, or unable to handle little uncomfortalbe feelings evoking or even controversial stuff, in kid sized servings of course. Media is not meant to be babysitter and it is great that many adults get that. Ironically those adults who do get frantic over Harry Potter or Pokemon or Goosebumps are usually those who do not get that, and then they place blame on effin Yu-Gi-Oh cards when some sort of problem arises, when it was about their subpar parenting all along.  

Series like Legend of Korra, Adventure Time and My little pony: FiM are meant for kids, but these kind of shows stay popular because adults can enjoy them alike.

I think that the fact that I do not like some franchise is not directly sign that it would be objectively overrated. I know I like things some people see kinda sucky. Like Pokemon.

Pikachu 4ever!
On and on the road does go
down into the depths below...

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 09:35:40 AM »
With anime and manga, I guess I'd have to say Attack on Titan.  Once the shock value wore off, I noticed that the series really had nothing to it.  The plot relies on this basement mystery that keeps getting dragged out, and none of the characters are even remotely interesting.  I think I read through eleven volumes hoping for it to get better, but it never did.

I also think Creamy Mami is pretty overrated.  It didn't seem terrible; it was just a silly little girl's show.  I have no idea what it is that draws so many grown men and women. 

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 09:49:36 AM »
No no...kids as in preschool,toddlers...that kind. So, you are 26...do you watch the anime still even it's such a crap?.

Saint Seiya has blood and deaths, Pokemon doesn't they are in a different category for sure. A 6 year old boy is still a Shounen as a 12 year old boy but has different interests. Sure the manga is a good read but that's just it. Lance/Wataru is my favorite character, I was hoping I could see more of him but of well.

Naruto is not overrated at all. The story is really good, very interesting don't know if your have read it or not but it really is one of the best stories out there. Sure the concept is not so great ( I don't even like ninjas) but the story has a deep meaning to it and I like it.

I stopped watching the anime years ago.

Pokemon and Digimon are in the same interest area, and Digimon had blood and deaths. As for Lance, I think he did come back much later. Despite changing protagonists a lot of the time, they did have a decent bit of continuity.

I've read every chapter of Naruto, and I've hated it for years. It had a promising start, but after the Chunin Exam arc, it fell apart. I blame Sasuke. He became such an unlikable, whiny little bastard and became everyone's central life focus, to the point Naruto nearly had a heart attack over it, and Sakura still "loves" him despite him trying to murder everyone, her included. Hell, even after betraying everyone again for the umpteenth time at the very end, he doesn't get the punishment he deserves because Naruto protects him from his deserved drawn and quartering.

In my 12 years of reading manga across the various decades of Japan's works, I can't think of a single work I've read that I hate more than Naruto.

SageofTime

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 10:55:19 AM »
I would agree that Saint Seiya and Pokémon are meant for different age groups. Pokémon I would say fits into the age group of 10 and under and Saint Seiya since of the blood and deaths would be 13 and up.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
I would agree that Saint Seiya and Pokémon are meant for different age groups. Pokémon I would say fits into the age group of 10 and under and Saint Seiya since of the blood and deaths would be 13 and up.

In America that's generally how they're rated (well, Pokemon is rated for all ages, I really wish people would stop trying to say it's solely for kids), but in Japan, the same age group that watched Pokemon and played the games also would have been watching Saint Seiya and Fist of the North Star back in the 80s. There are also older fans, but kids in elementary school were reading Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, etc.

Weekly Shonen Jump is a popular magazine for both little kids and teenagers (and some adults as well) in Japan.

SageofTime

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 01:17:22 PM »
There are also older fans, but kids in elementary school were reading Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, etc.
Kids read Fist of the Star? I didn't know that. I knew Dragon Ball was meant for kids but I don't understand why I recently watched the first couple of episodes and the show is totally perverted

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
Kids read Fist of the Star? I didn't know that. I knew Dragon Ball was meant for kids but I don't understand why I recently watched the first couple of episodes and the show is totally perverted

Blame Go Nagai. After nudity was allowed for purposes of sex education in Japan in the 70s, he proved that pervy stuff full of nudity was popular with the Shonen audience.

Somehow Kekko Kamen was a Shonen manga in the 70s (in Monthly Shonen Jump), and the titular character literally wore nothing but a mask, boots, and gloves, and defeated her foes thanks to her shamelessness letting her fight better than her completely stunned foes (one of Go Nagai's works, naturally).

If Osamu Tezuka is the God of Manga (and he is), then Go Nagai is the God of Hentai.

But yeah, while the 80s weren't nearly as free with nudity as the 70s were in Shonen, Fist of the North Star was the biggest Shonen Jump manga during it's run, despite being an absolute fountain of blood and internal organs constantly.

SageofTime

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »
Blame Go Nagai. After nudity was allowed for purposes of sex education in Japan in the 70s, he proved that pervy stuff full of nudity was popular with the Shonen audience.
In one of books I have of manga heros and villians it also talks about manga authors including Go Nagai and I read he made manga that got the parents really angry.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 01:38:53 PM »
In one of books I have of manga heros and villians it also talks about manga authors including Go Nagai and I read he made manga that got the parents really angry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harenchi_Gakuen

Yeah, this did it. Amusingly, the PTA got so mad at him, that he turned the manga into a war between the PTA and the Students (and the PTA killed them all violently, since the sexual stuff was offensive to them, which was an amusing irony).