Author Topic: Favorite Novels?  (Read 2235 times)

SageofTime

Favorite Novels?
« on: May 30, 2015, 07:17:57 PM »
My favorite Books in no order
Killing Kennedy (biography about him and the events that happened when he was in office)
Shiver series
The Princess Bride
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
The Great Gatsby
Maximum Ride series

Killing Lincoln
(biography about him and the events that happened when he was in office)

Book I am reading Right Now
The Phantom of the Opera because I saw the musical a couple of weeks ago

Books I plan to Read
The Hunger Games series (saw the movies before I read the books  :-_-U:)
I might read the Hobbit and Lord of Rings books because the movies were really popular
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:12:54 PM by SageofTime »

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Novels?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 07:44:56 PM »
Can't go wrong with J.R.R. Tolkien. The man set the foundation for fantasy writing in the modern age.

I'm partial to the Divine Comedy, Frankenstein, Dracula, pretty much all of Sherlock Holmes, The Hobbit, Le Morte D'arthur, Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, stuff like that.

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »
The Lord of the Rings is great, I enjoyed reading even though I thought the pacing was slow at the beginning (but after a couple of chapters it wasn't a problem anymore).

A book I thoroughly enjoyed was Eiji Yoshikawa's Taiko (the English translation of course), and I'm reading Musashi at the moment (I just reached book 3).

Otherwise I also liked :
Harry Potter
David Copperfield
Shôgun
It
The Silence of the Lambs
Rising Sun
Never Let Me Go
The Famished Road

And a lot more.
:seiya: " Allô Shiryu, c'est toi ?"
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 10:08:30 PM »
A Tale of Two Cities is great, but it does have a bit of a slow start.
To Kill a Mockingbird is an all-around classic. 
Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment is truly timeless and universal; it proved to me that Dostoyevsky's body of work will never become irrelevant*.  I honestly think everyone should read it.  At the very least, the folks who think Light in Death Note is the coolest and should've won need to give it a look.

By irrelevant, I mean not applying much to modern life.  The lessons a work may be trying to impart may not apply in the modern world. 

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 04:45:09 AM »
A Tale of Two Cities is great, but it does have a bit of a slow start.

True, but towards the end, I couldn't put the book away, and Sydney Carton is a great character.

Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment is truly timeless and universal; it proved to me that Dostoyevsky's body of work will never become irrelevant*.  I honestly think everyone should read it.  At the very least, the folks who think Light in Death Note is the coolest and should've won need to give it a look.

I'll have to add it to my long list of books to read then (as I'm moving this summer, I only kept a selection of 4 books and packed all the others... T_T my booksehlves are desparately empty).
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"

Soyukamaru

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 05:39:50 AM »
I'm always partial to Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie.
I read all the books and watch all the movies too. David Suchet is perfect as Poirot.
I love Christie's work, especially when she put in her experiences during archaeological expeditions with her husband inside the novel.
My favorites are:
- Murder on the Orient Express (obviously...). Going on a trip on the Orient Express Train is on my bucket list someday.
- Death on the Nile
- Murder in Mesopotamia
- The Big Four (very thrilling, I couldn't put the book down)
- Sad Cypress (so sad indeed)
- Curtain (the last case of Poirot). I read this as an epilogue. Felt as if I part ways with my best friend or lost a part of my soul when I finished reading it.

I love detective stories. When I was a child, I love Sherlock Holmes the most.
However, after growing up, I love Poirot more, as I found the stories are more emotional and I can bond better with the characters.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 07:30:33 AM »
Well I have to say that I don't have a favorite novel although I do have favorite authors. Anything that Stephen King has done is awesome. You can never go wrong with that. Then we have Arthur Conan Doyle who never stops to amaze me. Agatha Christie is also one of the best around. Last but not least Edgar Alan Poe.

I know most of them are mystery related but I guess this is my kind of thing.

Oh yes I also like a few sport novels such as
 Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times

Friday Night Lights: a Town, a Team and a Dream

The Blind Side

The Boys of Summer

Seabiscuit ( it counts as sport right?)

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 10:15:28 AM »
True, but towards the end, I couldn't put the book away, and Sydney Carton is a great character.

Precisely.  That whole final book was so gripping.  Carton is probably one of my favorite characters in literature.

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 10:53:35 PM »
@GVmanX :

Carton is one of my favourite too.

David Suchet is perfect as Poirot.

Oh so true !!
I'm not much into detective stories (I like reading one from time to time), from Christie I only read Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile, but they were nice to read.
The Hound of the Baskervilles is not bad too, but I prefer Poirot to Sherlock.

Anything that Stephen King has done is awesome.

I haven't read everything, but I admit that what I read from King was always good. Although Cujo... It's even more horrible than It for me ! What happens in Cujo could happen to any dog, King managed to make the fate of the family terrible, but also to make the reader have some pity for poor Cujo.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 06:34:30 PM »
Most of my favorites are fantasy books, but I do read other things. XD

- All fantasy books by David Eddings
- All fantasy books by Anu Holopainen (Finnish fantasy author)
- The Dark Is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper
- The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander
- The Riftwar Cycle by Raymond E. Feist
- Ravenscliff series by Geoffrey Huntington
- The Human Web: A Bird's-Eye View of World History (non-fiction)
- King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild (non-fiction)
- Mesopotamia by Enrico Ascalone (non-fiction)
- Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (I read the book after first seeing the Norwegian movie)
- The Jedi Academy trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson (Kyp Durron is one of my favorite SW characters)
- several Dragonlance books by several authors (mostly Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman and Douglas Niles)
- The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (I remember being around 15 when I was reading the first book at my friend's place)
- Brothers Lionheart and Mio My Son by Astrid Lindgren (two fairytales)
- The Prince of Shadowland by Ullamari Kellomäki (fairytale)
- most fairytales from H.C. Andersen, the Brothers Grimm and Zachris Topelius
- all short stories by Edgar Allan Poe (especially The Masque of Red Death)
- The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells
- The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I also have H.P. Lovecraft's Necronomicon (collection of his Cthulhu stories) on my shelf. I've been meaning to read it for ages - I hate horror, but I couldn't help but get interested in his stuff. Especially because he was inspired by Edgar Allan Poe~

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »

I haven't read everything, but I admit that what I read from King was always good. Although Cujo... It's even more horrible than It for me ! What happens in Cujo could happen to any dog, King managed to make the fate of the family terrible, but also to make the reader have some pity for poor Cujo.

Hmm but didn't you enjoy reading 'Cujo'? King doesn't always have a happy ending. If you have read 'Carrie', 'The Green Mile', 'The Mist' etc etc you will know.

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 06:48:15 AM »
@Seiya :

I enjoyed reading Cujo, the only thing is I usually disike animals getting hurt, and the description of Cujo's degradation is pretty sad as King doesn't forget to mention what a good doggy he was before, and that he suffers from his state.
I've also read : Carrie, The Mist, the first part of The Stand (it was my friend's book and she didn't buy the second part, and I saw the TV movie shortly after so...), The Long Walk, and Cell.