Author Topic: Improving Saint Seiya  (Read 7399 times)

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
Re: Improving Saint Seiya
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 03:04:02 AM »
/snip/

And the above is exactly what Toei managed to do right with Omega~ It has everything mentioned, from comic relief to multi-faceted characters, and the reason why I like that series more than the classic.

Eden is more than just another Ikki, with trauma, emotional scenes and he isn't as much of a lone wolf; Souma and Kouga are basically what would happen if Jabu and Seiya ended up on the same team; Seiya himself isn't "SAORI-SAAAAN" 24/7 anymore and acts generally more mature (then again, he IS 37); Jabu is a freakin' cowboy; Shun is more ready to fight; finally a badass female Saint who doesn't listen to the rules (Yuna and her mask); Aria being more than just a damsel in distress (like Saori was and still is, unfortunately); villains in "the gray zone" rather than black and white (Harbinger a good guy despite being "chaotic neutral" - he's what would happen if DM worked with people).

darkseiya

• Passionate youth
  • HERO DISTORTION
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2016, 05:03:30 AM »
Ooooh. Ohohoho. Unfortunately, me and Omega don't see eye-to-eye. While I don't mind the newly introduced characters, I think they're swell, I really hated how Toei handled the old characters, something about it struck me very, very badly. For me, at least, Seiya's new "personality" felt very unnatural, abnormal, alien- like they were desperately trying to turn him into Aiolos without regard to the fact that Seiya is almost nothing like him. While some of the other characters had decent handling regarding their inward personality, I felt like there was a lot lacking in their outward relationships. They all just seemed bizarrely isolated. I felt cheated, honestly. :kiki:

Jabu the cowboy just seemed outright nonsensical, it seemed like a gag. I would've appreciated some serious, in-depth looks at his character. I struggled to take Omega seriously at all, as a competent response to the classic series. I would've preferred if the series took a maybe slightly darker turn, rather than the excessively child-friendly Omega. Something along the lines of borderline seinen, something like Cowboy Bebop, with those flecks of sarcastic humor, while obviously retaining the charm of the original series. Again, this is just my opinion personally. If not a darker turn, maybe something more like how Ring ni Kakero was- it felt more natural and human. That being said, I somewhat like how Saintia Sho handled things.
☩MY CORE IS CHAOS☩

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2016, 08:01:11 AM »
*Spoilers for end of Saint Seiya Omega*

Personally, I didn't like the Omega concept itself. Nothing I saw from this group showed me they were so much closer than the Bronzes that they could gain this power while the old five couldn't.

Seiya and co lived and practically died for each other to an insane degree. Even if the anime ignored the part where it was revealed they were all brothers, they were certainly close enough where you could believe they were. Ikki may not have been there for every step of the way, but he threw himself in between Seiya and Saga when the chips were down, took the Galaxian Explosion TWICE for him. That's commitment.

*end spoilers*

Omega had some good points...but I cared for the main five in their story far more than I ever did the Omega group (not that I didn't enjoy that ride, it had its moments).

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »
Ooooh. Ohohoho. Unfortunately, me and Omega don't see eye-to-eye. While I don't mind the newly introduced characters, I think they're swell, I really hated how Toei handled the old characters, something about it struck me very, very badly. For me, at least, Seiya's new "personality" felt very unnatural, abnormal, alien- like they were desperately trying to turn him into Aiolos without regard to the fact that Seiya is almost nothing like him.

You know, I think Toei might just be really bad about this.  I've been watching through the DBZ anime here recently, and it's interesting how...off Vegeta's characters is in some of these filler bits from towards the end of the Frieza saga.  One episode has him cackling maniacally at the prospect of Goku and Frieza being dead, throwing blades of grass in the air.  Another has him randomly popping off and getting into this whole big fight with Gohan before angrily storming off.  Yet, when it gets back to the canon stuff, he's just a bit grumpy and reluctantly giving the gang advice on how to wish Goku and Krillin back, while having this begrudging admiration of Goku for becoming a Super Saiyan.  I don't know how many folks from DBZ worked on Omega, but they do have a penchant for characterizing people differently from the source.  Hell, the original Saint Seiya anime is guilty of this somewhat. 

Another reason for Omega's character differences might simply be the staff taking the fact that the characters are adults now too far.  Too often, I feel like folks think that, because a character is all grown up, he/she needs to be completely different from how he/she used to be.  I think that's a mistake, especially when making teenagers adults.  At that age, most of who they are as a teen is going to carry over to adulthood.

Jabu the cowboy just seemed outright nonsensical, it seemed like a gag.

Admittedly, he didn't have much character to begin with.

I struggled to take Omega seriously at all, as a competent response to the classic series. I would've preferred if the series took a maybe slightly darker turn, rather than the excessively child-friendly Omega. Something along the lines of borderline seinen, something like Cowboy Bebop, with those flecks of sarcastic humor, while obviously retaining the charm of the original series. Again, this is just my opinion personally. If not a darker turn, maybe something more like how Ring ni Kakero was- it felt more natural and human. That being said, I somewhat like how Saintia Sho handled things.

Unfortunately, the money's in the kids' market, and getting a new generation of kids interested in Saint Seiya means you can hopefully hook them on the old as well as the new and make waaaaaay more money than you were.

Pisces Aphrodite

• Bronze Saint
  • "that sanctuary is in the hands of all demons"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2016, 11:26:23 PM »
First off, long time lurker. I’m always really impressed by all the details behind discussions and carefully considered answers. Please continue your interesting topics and analysis!

If I was in charge of a new Saint Seiya remake here’s what I’d think of adding or changing.

As a few others have been saying, I’d age them up as well. The youngest, Seiya and Shun, are about 13-14. I’d age them up to 17-18 and the others follow suit accordingly.

Legend of Sanctuary isn’t fantastic but the one thing I liked about it was that the characters were brimming with life. I feel that a single five minute scene with Seiya and the others just lounging around, relaxing and discussing matters gives the characters far more personality in par to a whole season of Saint Seiya. Every one of them displayed a little quirk of their own even if one could say their personalities were exaggerated. But basically, little quirks like that, shown in the anime.

I’d add more development to their relationships. Other than when they were taking turns fighting, running up stairs, running to the next baddie, and sharing their thoughts to each other during said scenes… there’s not really much scenes where they just ‘talk’ to each other or hang out when it isn’t involving a serious situation. Of course I’m not saying that those scenes aren’t present at all but I’d elaborate on them.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:07:20 AM by Nier »

Reikyavic

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2016, 04:34:29 PM »
I'd put Tatsumi as the main character. :tatsumi:

Upvote for eternity!
On and on the road does go
down into the depths below...