Author Topic: Improving Saint Seiya  (Read 8268 times)

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
Re: Improving Saint Seiya
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »
I believe i posted a lot of my opinions in an older topic on how "you would redo the saint seiya anime"

In short, like Mewzard said and more character backgrounds, though they don't have to be as tedious as in the Asgard saga.
And like with the LC anime, it should have a lot of extra info input from Kurumada himself.

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Thrudgelmir2333

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Writing with my heart, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 02:57:07 PM »
I'd put Tatsumi as the main character. :tatsumi:

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2015, 10:01:40 AM »
I believe i posted a lot of my opinions in an older topic on how "you would redo the saint seiya anime"

In short, like Mewzard said and more character backgrounds, though they don't have to be as tedious as in the Asgard saga.
And like with the LC anime, it should have a lot of extra info input from Kurumada himself.

But Masami never gets to do any background character on heroes...only if it's important for the plot.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2015, 10:56:11 AM »
But Masami never gets to do any background character on heroes...only if it's important for the plot.

That's the point ;)
He's been a lot better with it in ND and other series, so he has the ability

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »
It's not his style and not his way of story telling. He likes to drop back story elements when he feel it's right. ND is actually the worst example of giving background stories...

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 01:00:27 AM »
It's not his style and not his way of story telling. He likes to drop back story elements when he feel it's right. ND is actually the worst example of giving background stories...

Would you care to elaborate on that? :)

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2015, 03:29:14 AM »
Which part? :)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2015, 05:43:45 AM »
I think Niello-chan means for the ND being the worst example of giving background stories. Could be wrong! :P

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2015, 06:08:15 AM »

Well, to make Saint Seiya better, that is one of the requirements, wether they just be two scentences, an image, or a flashback. :)

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2015, 09:04:07 AM »
I think Niello-chan means for the ND being the worst example of giving background stories. Could be wrong! :P

Hurray! You know my thoughts Seiya-nii :P

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2015, 09:09:49 AM »
The flashbacks of ND have no real value. Instead of seeing Dohko or Shion's masters or their Bronze adventures, you get a twin lion scene... Any flashback in the original manga is 10 times better... ;)

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2015, 05:34:35 PM »
I'd probably agree with at.  At the very least, I thought the whole lion business was kinda dumb.

SageofTime

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2015, 09:31:41 PM »
I think what could be added to the series is that the saints have more attacks, I think a lot of them only have one or two attacks. Also I think they don't need to announce their attack move each time.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2015, 11:50:32 PM »
The flashbacks of ND have no real value. Instead of seeing Dohko or Shion's masters or their Bronze adventures, you get a twin lion scene... Any flashback in the original manga is 10 times better... ;)

Indeed, that one made no sense.

darkseiya

• Passionate youth
  • HERO DISTORTION
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2016, 09:57:43 PM »
The show would need a lot more variety. A heavy, almost unnecessary portion of SS is based around romanticized battle, drama, and conflict, and while this is essentially the core of the series, the show has little substance beyond this. I would prefer to see a more human side to the characters beyond crying for their honor and passion. This is one of the main reasons why I tend to favor the earlier segments of the series to the later ones. It had more variety. It featured a little more comic relief, which made it less emotionally taxing, it was more down-to-earth, and realistic. The characters are somewhat dehumanized into these ever-running war-machines as the series progresses, and it made me lose a substantial amount of interest. I blame Toei's writing.

Another, is the Flanderization of the characters. To begin with, we are able to see multiple facets to the characters' personalities, which made them more relatable, human, and realistic. Shun was the sensitive one, but also displayed a sense of confidence, and cool-headedness, rather than incessant wailing for nii-san. Ikki had a more sensitive side to him beyond occasionally crying, and seemed to be handling his trauma realistically. Eventually, his character is reduced to "lone wolf and overbearing older brother", which I found quite frustrating. Seiya had bouts of arrogance in belief he could achieve everything by himself, which was his defining flaw in the beginning, as well as bouts of confusion and self-doubt. Later, his character is almost entirely reduced to "SAORI-SAAAAAN" and punching things a lot because JUSTICE, without regard for his initial motives and set personality. Again, this is something all authors and writers must strive to avoid- keep characters multi-faceted, or else they become uninteresting and predictable.

I would have preferred to have seen some more conflict between the bronze saints, beyond Ikki occasionally being a bit cold, where we can see the characters interact and bond on a psychological and emotional level beyond their sacrifices and fighting. I would have liked more insight on their mental weaknesses, personal drives, and bouts of natural selfishness and self-doubt. There is little to none of this. We rarely know what exactly the characters are thinking beyond basic dialogue, screaming, and flashbacks. There is never any 'aftermath' showing how the characters cope with this constant conflict. This is particularly disappointing for me.

That scene where Saori leans in and tries to push herself onto Seiya without his consent while he's unconscious of all things was absolutely sickening- if Saori was meant to be written in a way that depicts her as the kind to take advantage of someone like that for her own wants, I would've been interested if they explored that more.

I think almost all the characters are denied the treatment they deserve. I want to see Hyoga momentarily break his sorrow for his mother, I want to see Shun show bouts of real rage and confidence, I want to see Shura questioning himself, I want to see Deathmask reflecting on his actions, I want to see Seiya questioning right and wrong, I want to see humanity.

I'd also love to see a little bit of this directed towards the lesser bronze saints, particularly Jabu. He had a lot of potential beyond being another Seiya. He could've been the showoff, the arrogant one, the unkind, mocking, smirking smartass, and complete jerk. I would've loved that. But that's just me. :shura:
☩MY CORE IS CHAOS☩