Author Topic: Improving Saint Seiya  (Read 7392 times)

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
Re: Improving Saint Seiya
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 10:47:23 PM »
Also, if they ever did a reboot, they should keep the color schemes from Toei's version. I really don't want an anime of Saint Seiya with the manga coloring since then I wouldn't be able to tell the Gold Saints apart because practically all of them are blond.

Rask

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 11:32:55 PM »
That is way too old and I can't imagine Saga being that age and I don't think he would be bad@$$ as he is now
Those ages are what make more sense in my head. Saga and Aiolos already were well established Gold Saints when Athena came back, so that puts them in the 40~50 back then and 65+ in the present.
Someone used Tywin Lannister as an exemple of imposing old guy, plus, as a saint,he would be in top shape.

Also, if they ever did a reboot, they should keep the color schemes from Toei's version. I really don't want an anime of Saint Seiya with the manga coloring since then I wouldn't be able to tell the Gold Saints apart because practically all of them are blond.
A mix of both could be good. All GSs being blond would be awful, but I like that the manga tries more natural colors instead of the crazy anime colors.

I really would like some episodes with silver saints as protagonists. it would be nice to see a saint seiya  in the future with the fab five training the next generation of saints.... Omega does not qualify for the purpose.
one thing I hate about Toei, is that they need to upgrade everytime the saints power. having a power upgrade is not required to put up decent fights and a  good story
One thing I love about SS is that after the Sanctuary Arc there is little to no power creep. Gold Saint level is basicaly the power cap.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 11:58:00 PM »
...I'd remove Kurumada from in charge. I love how people keep yelling at Toei about screwing up the series, when it's in fact Kurumada's own fault that everything went to shit.
I'm of the exact opposite spectrum. I'd remove Toei from the franchise entirely. Toei is frankly far too cheap

For the toys, remove Bandai. Let some other companies do the figures.

As for the anime and manga, both Toei and Kuru fucked up the franchise. Would I kill both of them? No. We need something like SW. Lucasfilm was sold to Disney and Katherine Kenedy made sure the fans get what they want. We need a model like this...

This is wishful thinking of course. Japanese companies and businesses would never do this, unless Toei totally lose money for a decade and Kuru goes crazy... Oh well... :(

Reikyavic

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 06:30:09 AM »
Sine I know next to nothing of SS' animation production from then to now, I can't really say much - other than if anyone dares to meddle with SS in actual reanimation in mind, they should GO BIG or go home. I can't emphasize this enough. After so many underwhelming projects revolving around this struggling intellectual property last thing we need is another project which is just going to crash and burn, and fuel will be depleting hopes of fans who already fight with tooth and nail to stay motivated, to remain as fans.

I couldn't have lost interest in Omega faster than I did, not because it was somehow inherently bad or because I hate when things are done differently for change. As far as I'm concerned I thought they just made it different in all the wrong places with Omega, but then again I didn't bother to watch it very far - because I lost that interest to see what will happen next. Same thing happened with Sailor Moon Crystal. I'm still exited about Soul of Gold, but I would lie if I said this didn't feel like walking on wire, with that constant threat of losing balance and falling.

Whoever, for the sake of speculation, would try to reanimate the original manga or ND should take page from David production and what they have done with Jojo's bizarre adventure (and to lesser extent what Studio 4°C did with Berserk movie trilogy because I think most of what I'm going to say applies to Berserk movies too) with their animation, which is not without flaws, but honestly you can shove all that because what is effin awesome in it outweights those flaws. Bring in the guys who did LC or something, because that OVA was solid as a rock.

Old wisdom goes that you can't kill original with slightly tuned clone of original and I think this applies to SS as well. No amount of hip modifying will me SS retelling as lasting as the original, with it's flaws and all. Rather I'd like to see, in this hypothetic reboot, people in charge of it's writing and aesthetics to stick to original concepts and if something absolutely requires modifying, those modifications should be very carefully crafted for reason viewer can understand and agree with. Though Legend of Sanctuary was prime example of hip modifications done without rhyme or reason, I must commend writer's attempt to compress Sanctuary arc into single movie and succeeding in that task pretty well considering monumental limitations they must have faced during the process.

About voice acting, only wish I'd have for it to be of good quality. I appreciate japanese animation industry's aspiration to keep that one voice actor for one character for life, and while it doesn't ruin my enjoyment to hear old men trying to play part of teenage boys, I sincerely think that that is not illustration of best possible quality available.

I do not know what I would change in story level. I liked the fact that everyone was few years older in LoS, compared to original. There is just something in the main characters' way of acting and thinking which would seem slightly more believable coming from 15 years old than 13. Silver Saints were wasted potential, someone should come up with something actually memorable for them. That's all I can think of fast, because I have problem  coming up with big changes without starting to think how changing drastically or removing big chunks like Galaxian Wars would affect their undeniable aftereffects.
On and on the road does go
down into the depths below...

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 07:36:26 AM »

I'd say their distinct armors would help in telling them apart (Shura and Deathmask have black hair, Dohko either has black or brown hair hair, Camus has red hair, so at least a third doesn't have blonde hair). I really liked the manga colors. Ikki in orange is great. It's so rare to see a series in a fantastical series not use strange hair colors.

I'd also like to see things look more like Kuru's manga designs (early on to get rid of the silly animal helmets, and later on for the rich detail and feel of depth that the anime lacked *details looked like painted on stuff rather than either carvings or solid attached details to the armor's surface*).

For the toys, remove Bandai. Let some other companies do the figures.

As for the anime and manga, both Toei and Kuru fucked up the franchise. Would I kill both of them? No. We need something like SW. Lucasfilm was sold to Disney and Katherine Kenedy made sure the fans get what they want. We need a model like this...

This is wishful thinking of course. Japanese companies and businesses would never do this, unless Toei totally lose money for a decade and Kuru goes crazy... Oh well... :(

As long as Toei's involved, Bandai will do the toys. They've done it for decades with Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, that relationship isn't ending.

Kuru would probably have to sell the franchise himself, and after what happened with Toei, I have my doubts that he would willingly part with the series to just anyone (plus, Toei would fight tooth and nail if it wasn't to them).

Whoever, for the sake of speculation, would try to reanimate the original manga or ND should take page from David production and what they have done with Jojo's bizarre adventure (and to lesser extent what Studio 4°C did with Berserk movie trilogy because I think most of what I'm going to say applies to Berserk movies too) with their animation, which is not without flaws, but honestly you can shove all that because what is effin awesome in it outweights those flaws. Bring in the guys who did LC or something, because that OVA was solid as a rock.

David Production is a good example of a company trying their best to do a proper adaptation of the manga source material. I'd be down to see them give it a shot.

Paradox

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 12:44:28 AM »
HE was the one who fired Ryo Horikawa from Shun's role and caused Furuya (Seiya) and the other three to resign as a form of protest. ...And then he went and hired Masakazu Morita and co. and got another studio to do the Inferno and Elysium arc's animation. If he hadn't butted in, Inferno and Elysium could still have retained Furuya and co. in their roles and maybe even FINISHED THE SERIES before Hirotaka Suzuoki died.
can I know more about this new shun? what is this about

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 02:38:40 AM »
...I'd remove Kurumada from in charge. I love how people keep yelling at Toei about screwing up the series, when it's in fact Kurumada's own fault that everything went to shit.

HE was the one who fired Ryo Horikawa from Shun's role and caused Furuya (Seiya) and the other three to resign as a form of protest. ...And then he went and hired Masakazu Morita and co. and got another studio to do the Inferno and Elysium arc's animation. If he hadn't butted in, Inferno and Elysium could still have retained Furuya and co. in their roles and maybe even FINISHED THE SERIES before Hirotaka Suzuoki died.

That's not true...Furuya left because Masami wanted only Furuya to stay as Seiya but wanted to recast the rest of the roles. Furuya wanted the whole gang. It's in the interview of both of Torhu and Masami. I don't know where you heard the other 3 resign because Ryo was fired...

Also Hades would never have finished with Suzuoki...he died before it could finish. So he could not have finished Inferno. Only two episodes were in 2006...the year he passed away. It was impossible not matter how they wished it.

SageofTime

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 10:56:41 AM »
Masami doesn't sound like a fun person to work with

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 09:01:15 PM »
can I know more about this new shun? what is this about

Well, Seiya explained it pretty well. Masami Kurumada, the creator of the series, wanted only Toru Furuya to stay as the voice of Seiya for the Inferno and Elysium arcs; he would have fired Ryo Horikawa (Shun), Kouichi Hashimoto (Hyoga), Hirotaka Suzuoki (Shiryu) and Hideyuki Hori (Ikki).

Furuya got so pissed off about this that he resigned, and Kurumada had to recast all five roles (Masakazu Morita as Seiya, Yuuta Kasuya as Shun, Hiroaki Miura as Hyoga, Takahiro Sakurai as Shiryu and Katsuyuki Konishi as Ikki).

I really don't blame Furuya for his reaction. He'd been together with the other four since the classic series - they did all 114 episodes, and then got together for the five movies and Hades Sanctuary. ...And bam, when Inferno comes around, Kurumada suddenly decides to completely break that entire group. I would be really pissed in Furuya's shoes, too.

Flamzeron

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Role Play World
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 09:59:26 PM »
As a writer myself, there aren't too many things that I think could be improved in the series. I do feel that the whole "going against the odds" theme gets overplayed without any real reward to the protagonists. I think it would be cool if they became Silver and Gold Saints as the series continued, because then that would make the challenge and struggle easier to follow without getting stale. As much as I love watching Shiryu become blinded by something and Shun getting carried by Ikki, it gets old after a while and the theme of the story starts to die off. Personally, I think it would have been cool if Ikki became a Gold Saint after dying once and do an phoenix thing. I think the phoenix thing would have worked well that way and it would make Ikki look overpowered and be an effective way of showing the power of the bad guys.

ZakAttak18

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 09:15:06 PM »
I'd definitely want the fights to be more dynamic, fast-paced, and longer lasting-- but not dragged out like in DBZ. Also, I'd like for some plot inaccuracies and inconsistencies to be cleared up. I'll post more when I can get my thoughts together, but from the top of my head, when Saga became evil all the Gold Saints seemed to have idea about where he went and didn't seem to question the sudden change in Sanctuary due to Saga's evil rule. Some Saints didn't mind as they were kind of sketchy to begin with *COUGH*Deathmask*COUGH* I like to think that Saga's evil personality was triggered by Kanon (mentioned in manga) but actually awakened due to Abel's residual thought that remained in the Gemini Cloth (Shaka came from Shun's cloth in Next Dimension due to this concept). This evil drastically changed Saga but also had minor effects on the other good Saints and caused them to be sort of blinded to the truth. That's just one idea I wish was incorporated into the plot. Also, regarding Deathmask, I thought it would be really cool if Deathmask somehow killed a bunch of innocent souls on accident or absolutely had to for some reason and secretly mourned about it when alone. He would keep their souls in his temple because he would comfort them after their deaths. Of course, being stubborn and cocky, he would act as if he didn't care whether or not he killed them. The truth would only be known to him. That way, Deathmask can still be a noble Saint, but his fight with Shiryu would still happen. I think that would be a nice concept for Deathmask's character. I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I do wish for things along these lines to be part of the story (more character depth and development). Backstories for all the Gold Saints would be nice, too.
"When did I start waiting for my opponent to make the first move?"

-Chairman Netero

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
Well, guess I haven't posted in this thread yet.

Anyway, my biggest issue with StS, as a whole, is that it keeps rehashing things the first series did; characters, plot points, the spinoffs keep reusing them.  The good thing about Omega is that it at least triede something somewhat different at first (until it got to its own Sanctuary rehash).  Have some new dudes with new abilities fight some Mesopotamian or Mayan gods.  Have someone be a physical incarnation of Guan Yu (he is worshiped as a god, after all).  Just do something different while keeping the core elements intact.

house of aiolos

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 06:44:36 PM »
Well, guess I haven't posted in this thread yet.

Anyway, my biggest issue with StS, as a whole, is that it keeps rehashing things the first series did; characters, plot points, the spinoffs keep reusing them.  The good thing about Omega is that it at least triede something somewhat different at first (until it got to its own Sanctuary rehash).  Have some new dudes with new abilities fight some Mesopotamian or Mayan gods.  Have someone be a physical incarnation of Guan Yu (he is worshiped as a god, after all).  Just do something different while keeping the core elements intact.

Completely agreed.

If I were to edit the series I'd probably do it in a similar fashion to LC.
Have them take on different gods, vampires, etc etc.
I'd probably mostly put more focus on the golds than the silvers but still have the little ones be a big part of the series...kinda like Gon & Killua in HxH.

Dynamixx

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Ball Kai CZ
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 07:51:29 AM »
I am OK with the manga, tough I am just rewatching the anime and those filler episodes with Docrates, Ghost Saints, Pope Ares and his minion are long and almost unwatchable.
I am OK with the different design for Bronze Saint, they just can make a Kai version of the anime :)

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 09:03:13 AM »
I am OK with the manga, tough I am just rewatching the anime and those filler episodes with Docrates, Ghost Saints, Pope Ares and his minion are long and almost unwatchable.
I am OK with the different design for Bronze Saint, they just can make a Kai version of the anime :)

Well, I would like an FMA: Brotherhood style remake for Saint Seiya to be more manga accurate. The original manga is my favorite version of Saint Seiya, give it a more accurate adaptation I say.