Author Topic: Quiz: "How big is your English vocabulary?"  (Read 3807 times)

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
Re: Quiz: "How big is your English vocabulary?"
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 09:10:35 AM »
That might be, I studied hard at the University but I didn't expect such a big score. I'll have to expand my vocabulary further then.
:seiya: " Allô Shiryu, c'est toi ?"
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 06:25:17 AM »
Foreign speakers tend to have larger vocabularies if they come from countries that sub English TV-shows rather than dub over them, have access to most online sites (i.e. no government blacklists) and a reasonably high education level.

Finland never dubs English shows, unless they're cartoons - so watching those shows with subs, and thus listening to English at the same time, has made me more adept at the language. I picked my vocabulary up from TV-shows, games, books, Transformers fandubs, fan-fiction and online discussion.

...I probably have Transformers to thank for 'leveling up' my English skills in 2005-2006. That was around the time when I bought my Transformers G1 DVDs - English audio, without any kind of subs. XD Sure helped with listening to things (Transformers fandubs helped me with understanding accents). With reading, I've got Transformers fan-fiction, David Eddings's fantasy books and eventually anime fansubs (Bleach was my first back in late 2005 - early 2006).

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 04:54:11 PM »
I've taken this test again, and this time my vocabulary grew to 25,800 words. ...I have no idea how that happened.

I've actually progressively been getting worse at writing in English. I used to be really good a few years ago, but somehow I feel like my skills have gotten rusty, even though I use English every day.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 01:42:55 PM »
Did this dry and got 28,300.

I guess that last year on my master's degree did me well.