Author Topic: SSF member activity research - forum is dying?  (Read 5332 times)

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
Re: SSF member activity research - forum is dying?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 11:26:51 AM »
The forum doesn't feel any less active than when I joined back in 2012; I guess the numbers back that up. 

As to why people leave, I know one fellow on here left because he/she got fed up with some of the negative attitudes on here.  While I can't necessarily blame some folks for being negative, it can get a bit grating when you've had a rough day at work and you see even more negative attitudes.

To keep people, we could hold a cakewalk. I don't know how that works through the internet, but we could do it.

Poppaea

• Passionate youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 07:50:05 PM »
Hello,

For the little story if it may help your research, I registered in 2014 when I discovered Lost Canvas. I intended to participate but I realized that I know so little about Saint Seiya compared to anyone here that I just have nothing interesting to say/add to the conversations. Plus everyone seems to know each other so well here, I guess 'socially-awkward-me' was a bit afraid to sneek in  :P .

I still lurk here often (yes I'm one of those guests) when I'm curious about what people thought of the last SoG episode, or when I want information about the last myth cloths, mangas, etc...

Paradox

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 03:52:41 AM »
it would be nice if the admin would send a newsletter to all the members that are registered but not partecipating to the discussion. After all it's a good time to send it while soul of gold has just started
Hello,

For the little story if it may help your research, I registered in 2014 when I discovered Lost Canvas. I intended to participate but I realized that I know so little about Saint Seiya compared to anyone here that I just have nothing interesting to say/add to the conversations. Plus everyone seems to know each other so well here, I guess 'socially-awkward-me' was a bit afraid to sneek in  :P .

you are more than welcome, for example you can ask questions about things you don't know

tuhis

• Bronze Saint
  • Too prolific fanartist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »
I just have nothing interesting to say/add to the conversations. Plus everyone seems to know each other so well here, I guess 'socially-awkward-me' was a bit afraid to sneek in  :P .

My feelings exactly. Everything I can think of has been discussed to oblivion and beyond, and for the AUs/headcanons/etc. that come and go spinning in my head, a forum feels too hostile to share those thoughts and I rather keep them between, well, a circle of closer friends in another form of social media.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 05:57:28 PM »
My feelings exactly. Everything I can think of has been discussed to oblivion and beyond, and for the AUs/headcanons/etc. that come and go spinning in my head, a forum feels too hostile to share those thoughts and I rather keep them between, well, a circle of closer friends in another form of social media.

...This forum used to RUN on headcanons and AUs back in the day. XD That spirit seems to have died a bit after Skye, SSA, Shaina, Van and co. left around 2008-2010. They were the creative side of the community when it comes to crack ideas.

See the Harem Thread, Funny Screenshots, Nekkid Goldies, Answering Machine, Pairings Thread (or "threat") and I'm your Father! (RP where Shion is practically everybody's dad). Most of them are in Saint Seiya Spam and its sub-forums.

mahogany

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Smile :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 06:32:49 PM »
May you share those AUs, headcanons to us, please? I'd like to hear :D (I don't think the forum is so hostile, though. Maybe it's just me.)
And there are still lots of things to be discussed here XD

tuhis

• Bronze Saint
  • Too prolific fanartist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 10:22:03 PM »
...This forum used to RUN on headcanons and AUs back in the day. XD That spirit seems to have died a bit after Skye, SSA, Shaina, Van and co. left around 2008-2010. They were the creative side of the community when it comes to crack ideas.

See the Harem Thread, Funny Screenshots, Nekkid Goldies, Answering Machine, Pairings Thread (or "threat") and I'm your Father! (RP where Shion is practically everybody's dad). Most of them are in Saint Seiya Spam and its sub-forums.

...and all that happened in 2008-2010, and all that's left now is the regret of missing out. Damn you World of Warcraft for stealing my seinto life.
Hah, I always feel like a latecomer.

Though this forum has so far seemed pretty lenient towards thread necromancy, unless the topic itself was very dated.

Paradox

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 02:48:18 AM »
what happened to shaina???

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 03:55:01 AM »
...and all that happened in 2008-2010, and all that's left now is the regret of missing out. Damn you World of Warcraft for stealing my seinto life.
Hah, I always feel like a latecomer.

Though this forum has so far seemed pretty lenient towards thread necromancy, unless the topic itself was very dated.

I think your AUs and headcanons could probably breathe life back into this stale community. XD We could always replace the old stooges with new members and recreate that same craziness we used to have in the past.

what happened to shaina???

Shaina/Stayka was one of the admins. She disappeared from the Internet in 2011 and nobody has heard from her since.

EDIT: I found Shaina's real name after some Google-fu. I searched for her with that name, but the most recent dates are ALL from 2011. Her father appears to still live at the same address in Oberhausen (and I also found his phone number), but I'm not brave enough to call him and ask him about Shaina (it IS a very private matter, after all - I don't want to intrude). If anyone has the courage and wants to try giving him a call, PM me and I will give you the details.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:14:45 AM by Raiden [雷電] »

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »
I'm your Father! (RP where Shion is practically everybody's dad).

Sweet Jesus.  I guess the Crystal Wall doesn't work as protection for that...  :smirk:

Anyway, I'm telling y'all:  cakewalk through the internet.  We can use Skype.  The only issue is mailing foods overseas...

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 03:32:27 PM »
http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=137.0 - "I'm your Father! - or: Let's kill Shion!"
http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=148.0 - "The Harem Thread"
http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2000.0 - "Things Saint Seiya characters would never do or say"
http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=818.0 - "Nekkid Goldies :P (Or: why we are such fangirls...)"
http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=330.0 - "Saint Seiya Answering Machine"
http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=125.0 - "Pairings thread ^_^ (or should I write "threat"? XD)"
http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=292.0 - "You Know You Belong Here When . . . (And other lists)"
http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=305.0 - "Make up your own Saint moves"
http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=60.0 - "Saint Seiya Funny Screenshots"

There's many more threads like this in the Saint Seiya Spam sub-forum(s)~

And then there's this board called "What Gold Saint are you like?". http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?board=94.0 People who wish to know this have to simply write a profile of themselves based on the existing format, create a poll and then get people to vote for the Goldie which most resembles the person's profile. ...I've gotten stamped as Mu twice - I decided to try a third time, and so far nobody is winning (got one vote for Mu, one for Saga, one for Assmita and one for Dohko).

SageofTime

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 01:16:52 PM »
I think we should write au's and headcanons more on this forum maybe that would bring more people on here. I don't want this forum to go away and this is the only forum I am a part of  because I am not into a lot of anime and manga and Saint Seiya is the one of the few I like the most.

tuhis

• Bronze Saint
  • Too prolific fanartist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 07:02:20 AM »
AUs and headcanons raise a question in my head that I somehow don't know how to look an answer for on the forum: OCs. Do they have any kind of place in these alternate Saint Seiya worlds we spin up? Because those are what I'd be curious to hear and read about, the characters people have created themselves to fit the universe. Be it Saints for constellations unseen in the series, masters and disciples for existing Saints, predecessors and successors. Or maybe a whole own set of villains.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2016, 05:03:12 PM »
...I actually have a crapload of OCs that I tend to "semi-RP" on Skype with another fangirl. XD I basically have everything you just mentioned~

[spoiler]Saints for unseen constellations: Vela Meleager, Eridanus Colwyn, Cassiopeia Sofia, Pictor Mathias, etc.
Saints for obsolete constellations: Argo Navis Stanislav (former Aquarius)
Masters for existing Saints (also predecessors): Gemini Spyridon, Cancer Zlatan, Leo Alishaer, Scorpio Ambrose, Sagittarius Darius, Aquarius Stanislav, Aquarius Katerina
Disciples for existing Saints (also successors): Leo Reinhold
Successors: Gemini Asad, Gemini Leona
Own set of villains: the remaining Olympian gods, Argo Saints and Nymphs of Olympus (for "Olympian Wars" in 2006); Black Gold Saints (for "Omegaverse" in 2010).
Other villains: got 16 Specters and 8 Pallasites (or rather 10, but two of them are good guy spies).

See full list here.[/spoiler]

So, yeah - OCs are pretty common in the fandom~ Hagia Sophia (formerly Anthenora) on dA/Tumblr also has a few Specters and Saints of her own. ...She's actually the person I've been roleplaying with.

Haldir

• NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Misplaced Athena's Urn Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 08:27:41 PM »
I had been without a computer for quite some time now; this Baka only want the "best" and saving+coughing out SGD2,799+++ at one go on a ~SGD1,000 salary in between Daily Expenses & Cosplaying, isn't easy (sorry, I dun believe on Installment Payments except for housing or education as they are 5-6 figures amount!).
And work is getting on my ass, draining my strength by end of the day that I just want to go to sleep once I get home.

So seldom get to visit here since it's an ass to read & reply to forum posts on an iPhone 4 screen.
(And yes, that is also the reason why I haven't finish Proofreading SSTLC Anecdotes Aquarius Degel as the files are inside my external portable Harddisk and my job dun involve working on a Computer; I stare at visitors all day long maybe explaining about the Exhibits!)