Author Topic: Games that you feel were underappreciated for one reason or another.  (Read 4555 times)

Tommyspud

• Has discovered the Cosmo
    • View Profile
What games do you think deserve more appreciation that didn't?

I for one, say Jewel Master for the Genesis is a fun little sidescroller that got ignored by the masses because it was during the Sonic 1 release time.

Some other underappreciated games, for me, were Mutant League Football(which made football INTERESTING), .hack RPG series(because it's really awesome at doing a massive story right and mocking an MMO), and Half-Life on PS2(Because it was a GREAT port of the title and Decay was a good series with a friend.)

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
I always thought Decay looked neat, but I suck at console FPS unless they're on the N64.  I'm also gonna have to look into Jewel Master.

Jet Force Gemini, a lovely little 3D shooter made by Rare for the N64.  With all the recent hype around a bunch of Rare's former staff making this new BK-esque 3rd person platformer, I've seen barely a mention of this game. 

It's honestly one of my favorite games for the console, and in general.  It controls very well, and things explode quite nicely.  I know the part of the game where you have to go back and rescue all the little bear people can be a bit tedious and the final boss is incredibly difficult, but it's a great game overall.

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
There's no doubt about it. The first place goes to Nier and Drakengard. (note that both of these are action RPG by the same developer, Cavia)

Drakengard, for how incredibly messed up it was as well as arguably one of the hardest final boss battle...(The first one, not the third)

Nier for having one of the best story, concept, music and ending gimmick (I know this is a bit over board, but to me it was genius) :P

Both, to the best use of New Game+ I have ever seen, just the way they use it to add new layers of depth to the story is really smart.

This article summarise them pretty well, have a read, I'm sure you will find it amusing ;)

The article has the boss battle (link) from Drakengard, but there's also a similar one from the more recent Drakengard 3 (link) ;D Think it's easy? Just keep going and look at that camera being a jerk...I suppose the developer is already being kind by not having the rings come out of different mouths consecutively or two colours...(yes, just looking away from the screen and using just rhythm makes easier, but that's like changing the game mode to easy/normal and say you beat it)

EDIT: ...and I forgot the article, so here http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/donchipotle/blog/an-ode-to-cavia-inc-and-nier-a-game-studio-that-ha/103813/

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
I still need to get Nier's other three endings.  I meant to do that years ago, and I just never got around to it.

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
I still need to get Nier's other three endings.  I meant to do that years ago, and I just never got around to it.

Do you know what happens with the last ending?, if not I won't spoil.

Tommyspud

• Has discovered the Cosmo
    • View Profile
I need to get Nier, since I keep seeing it but I keep forgetting to get it.

It looks good.

Paradox

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
SUIKODEN!!! that was the best game I ever played

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
SUIKODEN!!! that was the best game I ever played
Lol, that's not an underappreciated game.

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
Not sure if it's under appreciated or not but I really liked the Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga (which includes Divinity II: Ego Draconis and Divinity II: Flames of Vengeance ).  I picked it up by accident when I was looking for a new action RPG game back in 2011 and I am glad I took it as I didn't expect to like it...it was also very cheap so I said why not? there's nothing to lose. I won't be surprised if not many of you know about this game but I think you should give it a try.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
Re: Games that you feel were underappreciated for one reason or another.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »
Suikoden Tierkreis. It's my favorite video game at the moment - I found it several years ago and I've liked it ever since... even went ahead and bought the Japanese version so I could hear all the voices. XD

The Suikoden fandom in general tends to hate the game because it's different from what they're used to (for ex, no war battles). Another source of hate is the English dub - I have to agree some characters sound weird (Chrodechild, oh GOD), but I like the dub for the most part. Even the motormouth protagonist is fun to listen to. XD And Conon and Asad are just great in English.

SageofTime

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 11:29:24 AM »
Nintendogs I think is underappreciated but I can understand why because having a real dog is better than having a virtual dog and I haven't played those games in years because I have a real dog.

Paradox

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »
Lol, that's not an underappreciated game.
so why the hell Konami does not invest as much money as it does for metal gear solid???? suikoden 3 never arrived in europe, I had to mod my ps2 to play it

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 04:05:08 PM »
You live in Europe.  Games just don't go there sometimes.

topaz989

• Silver Saint
  • Real Men Wear Pink
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 04:22:07 PM »
Nintendogs I think is underappreciated but I can understand why because having a real dog is better than having a virtual dog and I haven't played those games in years because I have a real dog.

I wouldn't count that. It's the second highest selling DS game ever created, beating out Mario Kart DS, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, and Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:18:06 PM by topaz989 »

SageofTime

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 05:13:54 PM »
I wouldn't count that. It's the second highest DS game ever created, beating out Mario Kart DS, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, and Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass.
I didn't know that