Author Topic: Games that you feel were underappreciated for one reason or another.  (Read 4417 times)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
Re: Games that you feel were underappreciated for one reason or another.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 03:42:32 AM »
You live in Europe.  Games just don't go there sometimes.

You mean there are games that just don't go outside of Japan because if there is no EU version then there is no US version. If a game makes it in English is out for the rest of the world. There is no reason to keep it away from EU.

Paradox

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 04:49:19 AM »
You mean there are games that just don't go outside of Japan because if there is no EU version then there is no US version. If a game makes it in English is out for the rest of the world. There is no reason to keep it away from EU.
if they don't think the game can make enough $$$$ they dont make a european version.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 07:09:19 AM »
if they don't think the game can make enough $$$$ they dont make a european version.

I don't really know any Japanese game that made it to US and didn't make it to EU but I guess you know better since you are from Europe.

Paradox

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 08:27:26 AM »
I don't really know any Japanese game that made it to US and didn't make it to EU but I guess you know better since you are from Europe.
sometimes games get re adapted for that market, LAra croft in tomb raider was deemed to have too big tits, so when they re-adapted the game to Japan they reduced the breast size.... LOL

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 09:52:10 AM »
Wow they even do that? what a strange world we live in.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »
Oh there's plenty, some pokemon games like Hey Pikachu!

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 11:10:56 AM »

*cough* Suikoden III doesn't have an EU version. Tales of Destiny and Tales of Legendia also don't have any, and neither do Super Robot Wars OG 1 and OG 2 (GBA) or Endless Frontier (DS). EU getting the same games as the US does is a fairly recent phenomenon - it was really rare to get a Japanese game in Europe 10+ years ago.

Even now, the only DS games I see in Finnish stores are kiddy games like Bionicle, Lego, Nintendogs or some pink cutey crap. The only way to get good games is to order online and there's only ONE store that sells that "good" stuff. The other online stores sell the pink crap.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »
Wow thanks for telling me guys, I had no idea that things in Europe were worse than in US regarding Japanese games although I am more of a US games gamer anyway but hey Nintendo always wins me with their fun and addicting games as well. So there's that.

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 11:41:42 PM »
Before I mention the game I have in mind. One of the games we got in France through the US was FF VII, and because of that, the translation is lacking in the spirit of the original game and WORSE by far : the characters name tags on the dialogue boxes have been put to the wrong dialogue (Hojo's scientific explainations end up in Cloud's mouth at one point.).

Otherwise, a game that I had to discover on my own because it was not widely talked about was Vagrant Story. It's old now but it's still excellent. Though they translated all the dialogues but not the menus...
:seiya: " Allô Shiryu, c'est toi ?"
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 02:53:13 AM »
I just checked on Vagrant Story main character and he is kinda feminine, his outfit is weird for a guy and his rear is showing. They could have design him better. If it's as good as you say it is tho then that's not really important.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 12:20:43 PM »
I just remembered Sacred, a PC role-playing game made by Ascaron Entertainment. It's a fully European game, made by a German gaming company and eventually dubbed in English in the United Kingdom. I own the English version of Sacred Gold (contains the original game and the Underworld expansion), and also Sacred 2: Fallen Angel - though the second game doesn't run on my laptop at all due to crappy specs.

I have a feeling Sacred counts as an underappreciated game - I've never seen anyone mention it and the official forums are kind of dead now (it doesn't help that Ascaron Entertainment is defunct). ...I'd be pretty surprised if people from the US even know this game.

...I kinda want to get back to playing this. Though I'm really not looking forward to fighting the zombie dragon of Khorad-Nur. Poison is the only element she's weak to and poisoned weapons are really hard to find. dsflkjslfsd

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 10:34:02 PM »
I just checked on Vagrant Story main character and he is kinda feminine, his outfit is weird for a guy and his rear is showing. They could have design him better. If it's as good as you say it is tho then that's not really important.

You know, I actually didn't notice about his butt until I was in mid game (and I went "WTF ???" and made him move around to check). I really enjoy the gameplay even now (the graphics have grown old but I dont mind).
That's true that the design of the outfits is weird (and not the strong point of the game), but not only is the gamepay good, the story is nice (I liked the end).
:seiya: " Allô Shiryu, c'est toi ?"
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"

SageofTime

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 09:26:03 PM »
I feel that the animal crossing games are underrated.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 08:53:29 AM »
Really?  Animal Crossing is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

SageofTime

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 07:37:17 PM »
Really?  Animal Crossing is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!
Oh it is