Author Topic: Dragon Ball Super - New anime w/story by Akira Toriyama  (Read 5184 times)

NJ_

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Dragon Ball Super - New anime w/story by Akira Toriyama
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:59:33 AM »

(screencap from two of Kai's endings)

http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/press/2015/04/_730.php
http://www.toei-animation.com/files/Press_Release_DBS_ENG_0.pdf

Quote from: [b]ANN[/b]
Dragon Ball Super, a brand new television anime inspired by Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball manga, will premiere on Fuji TV and other channels in July. This will be the first new Dragon Ball television series since Dragon Ball GT, which aired from 1996 to 1997.

The story of the anime will take place a few years after the defeat of Majin Buu, when the Earth has become peaceful once again. The voice of Goku, Gohan, and Goten, Masako Nozawa commented on the new anime, saying, “We've always used the word 'chō' (Super) with Dragon Ball in commercials, games and the like, but the fact that the series titled Dragon Ball Super is beginning is the best thing ever.”

Fuji TV producer Osamu Nozaki commented on the new series as well, saying, “As I read the plot [of the series] I've already received from Akira Toriyama, my dreams for this begin to expand. An enemy even stronger than Buu or Freeza may appear...”

Toei's Mitsuaki Kido will serve as the animation producer. Kido entered Toei just as the company was animating the Dragon Ball Z anime's Freeza arc.

A new film taking place after the Majin Buu Saga, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' premiered in Japan earlier this month. The film will eventually screen in 74 countries worldwide. Funimation hosted the North American premiere of the film on April 11 in Los Angeles. The company plans to release the film in more theaters with an English dub this summer.

HOLY CRAP!  :o :o :o
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:52:31 AM by NJ_ »

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Ball Super - New anime w/story by Akira Toriyama
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:12:56 PM »
So does this continue after the movies, or does it ignore them?

NJ_

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 03:03:55 PM »
So does this continue after the movies, or does it ignore them?

According to the English press release, it takes place after Resurrection 'F'.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 03:55:03 AM »

NJ_

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 04:58:52 AM »

NJ_

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:11:53 AM »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-19/kazuya-yoshii-good-morning-america-to-perform-theme-songs-for-dragon-ball-super/.88325

The official website for the upcoming Dragon Ball Super television anime announced the theme song artists on Tuesday. Kazuya Yoshii will perform the opening theme "Chōzetsu☆Dynamic" (Excellent Dynamic) and rock band Good Morning America will perform the ending theme "Hello Hello Hello."

This will be Yoshii's first time performing an anime opening theme song. Yukinojo Mori, who wrote the lyrics for theme songs for several Dragon Ball films as well as Dragon Ball Z Kai, is also writing the lyrics for Yoshii's opening theme.

Good Morning America previously performed the ending theme for the Buu Saga of Dragon Ball Z Kai. Band member Kanehiro Shingo is writing the lyrics

Dragon Ball Super will premiere on Fuji TV and other channels in July on Sundays at 9:00 a.m. This will be the first new Dragon Ball television series since Dragon Ball GT, which aired from 1996 to 1997. The story of the anime is set a few years after the defeat of Majin Buu, when the Earth has become peaceful once again.

Toriyama is credited as the original creator, as well as for "original story & character concepts." Toei Animation's Kimitoshi Chioka (Hakaba Kitarō, Kamisama Kazoku) is the series director, and Naoko Sagawa (Yomiko Advertising, Inc.) and Atsushi Kido (Toei Animation) join Osamu Nozaki as producers. Kido entered Toei just as the company was animating the Dragon Ball Z anime's Frieza arc. Masako Nozawa, the voice of Goku, Gohan, and Goten, is returning for the series.

Toyotarō will draw the manga adaptation in V Jump

A new film taking place after the Majin Buu Saga, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F', premiered in Japan last month. The film will eventually screen in 74 countries worldwide. Funimation hosted the North American premiere of the film on April 11 in Los Angeles. The company plans to release the film in more theaters with an English dub this summer.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 08:56:38 AM »
Can't say I've heard of the band Good Morning America, though they do have an interesting name.

Isn't Toyotaro that guy that used to make that Dragon Ball AF doujinshi?

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »

As for Kai, what a mess...

Why what happened?  Also I actually thought that it was about Kai this thread but renewed or something. Glad I finally visited it. xD

NJ_

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 11:37:53 PM »
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/05/31/norihito-sumitomo-returns-for-dragon-ball-super-musical-score/

Composer confirmed to be Norihito Sumitomo (Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, Kai Majin Buu arc).

Can't say I've heard of the band Good Morning America, though they do have an interesting name.

They performed the first ED song for Kai's Buu arc.

Music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzCtB9oif8o

Isn't Toyotaro that guy that used to make that Dragon Ball AF doujinshi?

That's what many believe, he also worked on the Resurrection F manga.

Why what happened?

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2014/06/17/multiple-versions-dragon-ball-kai-majin-buu-arc-production/
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2014/06/21/dragon-ball-kai-majin-buu-arc-alternate-production-details/

The Buu arc of Kai, which was meant to be for international audiences (as hinted & worked on since 2012), was broadcast in Japan with even more edits (which were handled badly since it caused pacing issues early in the show).

International version = 69 episodes with it's own opening & ending animation & songs (all in Engrish).
Japanese broadcast version = 61 episodes (originally believed to be 48 until the French dub caught up with Japan with both now airing the exact same episodes almost simultaneously) with 1 opening & 5 ending videos.

The remastering for Buu was done on the cheap by Toei themselves and the main problem there is with the video quality because there's a green tint in both versions that wasn't present in DBZ or Kai's first half and that's noticeable in most scenes.

The music is the same in both versions (aside from the preview music which is different in both) and are placed terribly to the point that some people have compared it to FUNimation's DBZ dub score since in addition to the most of the music itself not being so great, the music in the JP version is wall to wall with very little silent moments so it can get pretty annoying, especially for those familiar with this arc in DBZ.

I hope that Sumitomo steps it up for Super since his Battle of Gods score was pretty good but that would also depending on budget & the hired sound director (which will likely be Nagasaki again either with or without Motoyama) doing a better job with handling those songs.

NJ_

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »
July 5th?  I won't have seen Resurrection of F by then.  ;_;  It's coming out in select theaters this August, and I was gonna go see it with some friends.  Hopefully, I can keep myself from watching Super until I see the movie.

NJ_

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 05:40:54 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m28i3PGsqeQ

15 second PV from the end of this week's Kai. 8)

NJ_

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 11:41:39 PM »

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_s/

Toei Animation’s official Dragon Ball Super website has finally been revamped in preparation of the new series’ debut in mere weeks on 05 July 2015. The update includes the first promotional artwork for the series, a few new sections with additional information, and the preview trailer that was broadcast yesterday following Dragon Ball Kai (which is currently not available).

Along with a brief introduction page, a “Staff & Cast” page has also been included amongst the new pages now available on the site, and it is no surprise that Tadayoshi Yamamuro, who worked for many years as character designer and animation supervisor on the Dragon Ball franchise, and more recently served as director and animation supervisor for Dragon Ball Z: Revival of “F”, is returning as the series’ sole character designer. No additional staff members have been officially announced as of yet, including a lead script writer, art director, or musical composer, although it was unofficially revealed that Norihito Sumitomo would be returning via his blog.

The majority of the main cast from Dragon Ball Kai and the recent films will be returning, including Yūko Minaguchi (Videl), Kōichi Yamadera (Beerus), Masakazu Morita (Whis), and Jōji Yanami as the series’ narrator, who was recently absent from Revival of “F”.

The new promotional splash artwork features the series’ main characters, the majority of whom are shown in their attire from Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods. However, the most intriguing portion of the artwork is a new God of Destruction character, standing back-to-back with Beerus, and spinning the Earth on his finger. Next to him is another new character, presumably his attendant, who is very similar in appearance to Whis. Will we finally be exploring a few of the 12 universes mentioned by Beerus in Battle of Gods? Only time will tell!

Be sure to check back for more details and updates as things ramp up toward the debut of Dragon Ball Super, the franchise’s first new TV series in 18 years, on 05 July 2015!

Minaguchi's return = Reason to watch subbed before FUNi's dub comes out  8)

(though I was going to watch Super subbed anyway, her absence from Kai was the main reason I refused to watch the Buu arc)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:30:55 AM by NJ_ »

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 10:18:13 AM »
I don't think I ever touched Kai; I've just been rewatching the original Z.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 10:30:27 AM »
I heard that Kai was just shorter than Z because of faster paced battles and events but honestly when I watched the first 5 episodes...didn't see any difference with Z. Plus I couldn't stand the old hag's voice (Goku)... >_< .