Author Topic: My thoughts on Soul of Gold  (Read 5041 times)

Shunhades

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
My thoughts on Soul of Gold
« on: April 11, 2015, 07:29:08 AM »
Well, what can I say about the first episode?

I was rather surprised Aiolia ended up in Asgard. I mean, of all the places to end up. He ended up in a pretty random place. I'll guess the other gold saints ended up in various places as well. But considering some seem to have been going about their lives. I'll also assume Aiolia resurrected last. Either that or they all came back at the same time and ya know...different priorities.

xD I love Aldebaren's outfit. It's the complete opposite of Mu's. But suits him very well. Aphrodite's outfit did not surprise me. Though I was thinking "Can't you sip your tea without a rose in your mouth?!" when he appeared.

Lifia, I have a so, so opinion of her at the moment. Though I wonder if they got some what lazy with her design because she's practically Saori/Athena's twin with a different hair color.

Plot wise, for me it has the hint of Episode G. Especially where Aiolia is concerned.

I also consider the Asgard soldiers to be blind. While I'm aware Mu has always had the ability to hide his cosmo, and even go invisible. In this episode, since he didn't go invisible, I consider them blind as bats. How do you not see a SHINEY GOLD BOX? Mu hid behind a thin tree that barely covered himself, and you're telling me they couldn't see the box that should of been obvious in a world of white and brown? Okay, yeah, it's a plot thing. I get that. But SERIOUSLY?! Get your eyes checked! LOL.

I will honestly say I enjoyed the tavern scene where Aiolia and Lifia were eating. xD His face when she was just gobbling up her food was hilarious. Either he's down right not used to someone eating in that manner. Or maybe it's because it was a woman who did it that he was all "OMG!".

I'm trying not to give out too many spoilers in case people haven't seen it yet (it came out yesterday).

But i'm sooooo grateful they did good animation this time. Unlike the animation of Elysion. (gaaahhh! So terrible). Thus far I am enjoying it. But I am also greatly hoping this series won't simply be about Aiolia.

But I admit, it's off to a pretty decent start.
Saint Seiya Fan for over 20 years

雷 .r.G. 神

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 黄金の野牛。絶対美味しい牛肉を捜す
    • View Profile
Re: My thoughts on Soul of Gold
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 03:14:06 PM »
the episode wasn't bad, it wasn't good either. I m more surprised that they chose a non-canon place to revive the first gold saint.

the asgard soldiers aren't blind, they are COLOR blind. so give them a lil break.
この世に必要のない物が死ねだけだろう!!!

SageofTime

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 04:30:13 PM »
Good Animation?

雷 .r.G. 神

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 黄金の野牛。絶対美味しい牛肉を捜す
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 05:10:34 PM »
この世に必要のない物が死ねだけだろう!!!

Shunhades

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »
it was ok

It was better than what they did to Elysion.

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
it was ok

What do you mean okay? It's the art that's nice, the animation itself is down right awful...the worst Saint Seiya ever have so far actually. There were barely any movements at all.

Shunhades

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 05:48:07 PM »
the episode wasn't bad, it wasn't good either. I m more surprised that they chose a non-canon place to revive the first gold saint.

the asgard soldiers aren't blind, they are COLOR blind. so give them a lil break.

I agree, but hopefully it'll get better as it progresses. I mean what can I say? It was a starter episode.

>3 NNNNEEEVVVEEERRRR!!! *continues to make fun of the Asgard Soldiers*
What do you mean okay? It's the art that's nice, the animation itself is down right awful...the worst Saint Seiya ever have so far actually. There were barely any movements at all.

I think people confuse the artwork with animation.

I say this not to be mean, but because I've seen people talk about how something was awful and label it as the artwork when it was the animation they were talking about.

I've seen this multiple times from several different people.

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 06:05:49 PM »
I think people confuse the artwork with animation.

I say this not to be mean, but because I've seen people talk about how something was awful and label it as the artwork when it was the animation they were talking about.

I've seen this multiple times from several different people.

That does happen sometimes, similar to how people tends to mix up graphic with aesthetic.

Although I'm still confuse about why you refer to the animation in SoG episode 1 as good. I understand that you're trying to draw comparison with Elysion, but why that one specifically? It's the bottom of the barrel, in terms of both art and animation...Also, between SoG and Elysion, I think Elysion at least have better animation than SoG for the first couple of episodes, although it got progressively worse and worse. I do agree that by the last couple of episodes the animation in Elysion dropped even below SoG. That last episode was almost nothing but still frames and close up on faces with minimal lip and eyes movements.

雷 .r.G. 神

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 黄金の野牛。絶対美味しい牛肉を捜す
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 06:13:02 PM »
if y'all wanna get technical, the worst artwork belongs to Lost Canvas' anime and the worst animation went to Elysium.

Elysium was a level slightly above collage.

SoG, really, was just 'OK.'
There were barely any movements at all.

they fought at lightspeed. you are too slow to match that speed.

:smirk:
この世に必要のない物が死ねだけだろう!!!

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 06:30:57 PM »
if y'all wanna get technical, the worst artwork belongs to Lost Canvas' anime and the worst animation went to Elysium.

Elysium was a level slightly above collage.

SoG, really, was just 'OK.'
they fought at lightspeed. you are too slow to match that speed.

:smirk:

Collage....LOL xD great way to put it.

I disagree...as of now, the title of both worst artwork and animation belong solely to Elysion. In Elysion, particularly the later episodes, they pretty much abandoned all details...just look at that thick brush strokes...not to mention the amount of off models drawing. Also, which one do you think is more pleasing to the eyes, Lost Canvas and the vastly more detailed background, or the flower field in Elysion and extremely simple background?

As for light speed...it's not possible Raigami-san :)
They were talking...if they really did move at the speed of light then they wouldn't be hearing anything ;)
Also, if the Bronzes could stay alive for what seems for us that long of a time, and so many attacks, then Hades must had been pretty weak. :P

SageofTime

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 08:00:09 PM »
Well in the first couple of seconds of episode 1 of Soul of Gold when the bronze saints are running away that was awful animation and I think lighting bolts from Aiolia weren't as good as in the ova and anime but the I have to say that the animation and story is better than Omega but still the animation isn't that great but the story catches my attention so I still want to see the rest of the episodes. But Lyfia is kinda annoying its like Navi in the Zelda game Ocarina of Time where she keeps saying "hey listen" and its like shut up already  >:(

Shunhades

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 08:22:39 PM »
That does happen sometimes, similar to how people tends to mix up graphic with aesthetic.

Although I'm still confuse about why you refer to the animation in SoG episode 1 as good. I understand that you're trying to draw comparison with Elysion, but why that one specifically? It's the bottom of the barrel, in terms of both art and animation...Also, between SoG and Elysion, I think Elysion at least have better animation than SoG for the first couple of episodes, although it got progressively worse and worse. I do agree that by the last couple of episodes the animation in Elysion dropped even below SoG. That last episode was almost nothing but still frames and close up on faces with minimal lip and eyes movements.

When I talk about animation, I mean the smooth transitions through the scenes. Not actually what's going on.

I really hate it when the scenes are like movement collages (like Elysium, yeah I know i'm spelling it wrong, i'm too tired to check my spelling LOL). That's what I mean by animation.

The sequences, however, need to be improved upon. I agree they got exceedingly lazy with that. And it was like ".............that's it?"

I think we can all agree this is nothing compared to classic. I much prefer the classic series where they put effort into making everything.
Well in the first couple of seconds of episode 1 of Soul of Gold when the bronze saints are running away that was awful animation and I think lighting bolts from Aiolia weren't as good as in the ova and anime but the I have to say that the animation and story is better than Omega but still the animation isn't that great but the story catches my attention so I still want to see the rest of the episodes. But Lyfia is kinda annoying its like Navi in the Zelda game Ocarina of Time where she keeps saying "hey listen" and its like shut up already  >:(

Yeah see for me, that's more like quality of the work. Not really what I meant. But I agree.

It's kind of what I mentioned about the new character. Feels like they got exceedingly lazy and just slapped Saori/Athena in with new clothes and different hair color and called her Lyfia. And then tossed in some of Pandora's persona at her. But she did make me laugh with her eating. But I don't see her as being too interesting. 

Oh? I think the some of the art is very similar to omega though. There's a scene in the preview for the new episode where it looks like Mu is from omega. ((He's being electrocuted/shocked)).

Like you. I'll probably continue to watch, I don't want to say the series is bad from 1 episode, cause 1 episode isn't enough to say how good it'll be. But if the plot gets good enough I can look past all the other follies.

She is......I already feel like she's just there to attempt to make out with Aiolia or something. And poor Aiolia being a gentleman will probably cater to her crap. Even though he's got better things to do.

But still....nothing wrong with giving it a chance.

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »
When I talk about animation, I mean the smooth transitions through the scenes. Not actually what's going on.

I really hate it when the scenes are like movement collages (like Elysium, yeah I know i'm spelling it wrong, i'm too tired to check my spelling LOL). That's what I mean by animation.

The sequences, however, need to be improved upon. I agree they got exceedingly lazy with that. And it was like ".............that's it?"

I think we can all agree this is nothing compared to classic. I much prefer the classic series where they put effort into making everything.

I don't think I agree on the smooth transition...they are actually pretty jerky, you can clearly see the key frames without really trying. There're just no subtlely to the movements. I think the reason you might thought they are smooth is because most of the animations only occur over short distances eg. a small head tilt, arm movements, short steps. This matters because if there're the same small amount of inbetweens, you would notice the gap between the wider movements more. Also here in this first episode there are literally no continuous animation that last for more than 3 seconds (and the majority of them are below 1 sec) without repeated animation, or noticeable stop before a next set of animation.

i won't exactly say the staff in classics put more effort into everything...Toei just care less about giving staffs freedom to work on the projects...

Shunhades

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »
I know people have posted comments. I'll get back to it when I have time (preparing to go to college in Japan and also doing supervisory work at work. Busy bee, buzz buzz).

But I wanted to give my thoughts on episode 2. No. I won't give my thoughts for each episode. LOL

But this one. I wanted to.

To be frank I felt it was rushed. There were parts it was obvious they just kind of slapped the scenes together. And I couldn't help but wonder if Mu's voice actor was kind of bored a little bit in the scene where Mu first screams. Like literally his screaming felt very bored to me. Like "Oh i'm in pain, but even though the characters face is in pure agony, I think i'll just so so scream."

I am glad that they made the goldies more canon to the manga.

Especially Dohko's "Yeah, I'ma start stuff, but have other people finish it cause it's how I roll." type of attitude over some things. xD I bet many people wonder how he even managed to raise 2 (technically 3), kids. Without them becoming screwed up. LOL.

Gotta love Mu's demon with an Angel's face thing. But hey, it's Mu. Realistically he has a demented sense of humor. Even though he is very nice as a person. Heck, I'll go as far as to say he could probably pass off as Shun's brother way more than Ikki because they are both fairly similar in personality. Especially with the whole "Yeah I'ma just let stuff happen to resolve things." Of course, when they both have done that it did for a short time make things worse. >.> Bad Shun...bad Mu. *boops them on the noses*.

This is honestly me just fangirling, but I honestly wanted Mu to pick on Aiolia a little about Lyfia near the end of the episode. Something like him sliding beside him and being all "Hmmmm....." with a devilish smirk before commenting on how Aiolia didn't hesitate to make friends with a pretty girl or something to that extent. And maybe stating something like he wondered how far they'd gone. Thus making Aiolia freak out and defend himself and leaving Lyfia confused, or if she hears, blush heavily. With the Lemurian laughing a bit, before they decide to head off.  Again, it's me just being wishful.

Sadly, because they decided to make this 13 episodes long, it's going to remain in that "this is way too rushed." state, unless they decide to make another season of it. Which I'd prefer.

I do think what Dohko did to Aldebaren was right on the mark though. xD

And it was a little silly to have Mu and Aldebaren mention why they won't attack. But it was kind of cute to show that even though they are opposites, they are best friends. Aldebaren being the "I'll think about the stuff later." and Mu being the "I'll think about it now." xD I wonder if they've ever argued. Probably. I mean even the best of friends can have a spat or two from time to time.

Anyway, those are my in general thoughts for this episode.

Kanon82

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 12:17:43 PM »
i'll be honest..
i didn't like the first 2 episodes.. I don't like the way are the Gold Saints.. all of them seem like younger than in Hades chapter, and much thinner..
i don't like that  Dohko is completely different (i'm talking about the way to act) from the classic anime.. and i don't like the enemies..
it's a bit like in the second season of Omega.. they fight 2 minutes and then escape..
i'm still complaining Lost Canvas anime..