Author Topic: Gundam Franchise  (Read 1267 times)

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
Gundam Franchise
« on: March 25, 2015, 01:06:03 PM »
So with 3 series currently ongoing, let's start some discussions! :D

Although Build Fighters and G Reconquista are almost over we still have 3 more OVAs of Gundam The Origin to look forward to :D

So last year i finally saw the remaining Gundam shows i hadn't seen before. And on the subject of UC shows i've always wondered what Tomino's stance was on ZZ Gundam. In my opinion it is one of the worst Gundam shows, even Tomino seems to have his opinion towards that way which was evident in the ending of the Z Gundam movies. So does anyone know?

G in Reconquista
I've been following this show, and i do like how they portray a Civilizations that has practically gone back to a child's mental stage. While the plot is okay but repetitive, the episode directing is HORRIBLE. Especially when it comes to Raraiya Monday's speaking ability returning and space battles. It is funny to see people's small quirks, but not everyone needs to be seen o.o;;

Needles to say Gundam The Origin showed me some very good quality. :D

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
Re: Gundam Franchise
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:59:54 PM »
I'm nearly halfway through with G-Reco, and I love it to bits. I don't really get why people find it confusing; I think folks just need to stop browsing Facebook when watching shows.  Is the "confusion/hard to follow" issue the reason why you said the episode directing is horrible?

I'm interested in Gundam:  The Origin, but it apparently is just a straight adaptation of the prequelish parts of the manga of the same name.  If that's the case, I'd rather read the manga.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 03:08:40 AM »
I'm nearly halfway through with G-Reco, and I love it to bits. I don't really get why people find it confusing; I think folks just need to stop browsing Facebook when watching shows.  Is the "confusion/hard to follow" issue the reason why you said the episode directing is horrible?

I'm interested in Gundam:  The Origin, but it apparently is just a straight adaptation of the prequelish parts of the manga of the same name.  If that's the case, I'd rather read the manga.

Lol, ha ha, yeah it is quite hard to follow at certain parts. I couldn't keep up with several of the space battles actually.
I liked the show up until that point actually :)
Then suddenly Raraiya got her senses back in one episode, and no one said anything until the next episode xD
The pacing is very fast at several points, and it tended to get worse after the first half of the series. In the end they weren't even able to finish all of the plot threads in the final episode.

Yeah the Origin is and adaptation of the prequel parts of the manga. Don't know if it is a straight adaptation though. But so far it has been veeeery good :D

AriesVirgoGeminiPete

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • SIEG NEO ZEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:51:32 AM »
I' m a big Gundam fan, Zeon all the way!
Actually, ZZ Gundam is great starting from Episode 27, that is where hollow comedy transforms into action and serious drama.

MY fav Gundam media are:
0080 - War In The Pocket - worth watching, it has drama, love, and it shows the horrors of war up close from the viewpoint of a lower rank soldier, and a kid. ;)
Gundam The Origin!
Mobile Suit Gundam Compilation Movies - Mobile Suit Gundam I, II: Soldiers Of Sorrow, III: Encounters In Space
0083 - Stardust Memory
Char' s Counterattack

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 05:15:06 PM »
I haven't really watched any Gundam shows yet (only some episodes of dubbed Gundam Wing), but I'm already a fangirl thanks to Super Robot Wars V. XD All the Gundam characters from the game are interesting and I'm just amazed at how much Riddhe's moods change his face. He looks like a baby most of the time, and then he gets pissed off and boards the Banshee.

Kincade/Seabook also seems to be the type of character I like most in my fantasy books - the practical, calm and smart type who offers brotherly advice to anyone who needs it. Tobia is adorable. Amuro is just classic and Toru Furuya is always fun to listen to. And Shuuichi Ikeda sounds good no matter who he voices (Full Frontal looks worse unmasked than Char does, but Ikeda makes up for it~). Tbh, the SEED and 00 casts are kind of unmemorable... none of them really impress me in any way (except Sumeragi). ...And I never knew Nozomu Sasaki plays Hathaway; it was a complete surprise how he sounds so... normal. He smoked years ago to change his voice and he normally sounds really raspy and creepy these days, but Hathaway somehow retains the tone of his younger days.

I've developed an aversion to Iron-Blooded Orphans and I don't know why. It's one of the few Gundam shows I'm not interested in, except for one character (Gaelio because he looks good when he gets serious later, plus I love his voice actor since he's perfect at playing sassy characters and psychopaths... like Jua-Mu when he goes crazy in Super Robot Wars OG). ...Are any of the modern Gundam shows besides Unicorn and Origin worth watching? Like AGE, Gunpla Builders, Reconquista, Iron-Blooded Orphans, Build Fighters, BB Senshi Sangokuden, Thunderbolt, upcoming Twilight Axis?

Cadraire

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:01:35 PM »
I was just watching Origin recently. Besides that and Unicorn, I found Thunderbolt a good watch: dramatic, dark, nice style.

Iron-Blooded left me feeling lukewarm, not feeling the characters. haven't tried season 2

can't stand SEED

00 was fairly entertaining but not a favorite

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 01:51:29 AM »
I haven't really watched any Gundam shows yet (only some episodes of dubbed Gundam Wing), but I'm already a fangirl thanks to Super Robot Wars V. XD All the Gundam characters from the game are interesting and I'm just amazed at how much Riddhe's moods change his face. He looks like a baby most of the time, and then he gets pissed off and boards the Banshee.

Kincade/Seabook also seems to be the type of character I like most in my fantasy books - the practical, calm and smart type who offers brotherly advice to anyone who needs it. Tobia is adorable. Amuro is just classic and Toru Furuya is always fun to listen to. And Shuuichi Ikeda sounds good no matter who he voices (Full Frontal looks worse unmasked than Char does, but Ikeda makes up for it~). Tbh, the SEED and 00 casts are kind of unmemorable... none of them really impress me in any way (except Sumeragi). ...And I never knew Nozomu Sasaki plays Hathaway; it was a complete surprise how he sounds so... normal. He smoked years ago to change his voice and he normally sounds really raspy and creepy these days, but Hathaway somehow retains the tone of his younger days.

I've developed an aversion to Iron-Blooded Orphans and I don't know why. It's one of the few Gundam shows I'm not interested in, except for one character (Gaelio because he looks good when he gets serious later, plus I love his voice actor since he's perfect at playing sassy characters and psychopaths... like Jua-Mu when he goes crazy in Super Robot Wars OG). ...Are any of the modern Gundam shows besides Unicorn and Origin worth watching? Like AGE, Gunpla Builders, Reconquista, Iron-Blooded Orphans, Build Fighters, BB Senshi Sangokuden, Thunderbolt, upcoming Twilight Axis?

I would recommend Gundam 00 if you like more reality based shows. If you like Gunpla models, then you should watch the build fighters series. AGE is well, opinions are very varied on the show. If you like to see generational shifts in anime, then this is for you. I would not recommend reconquista or iron blooded.

I've watched Thunderbolt, but it's very dramatic and not for everyone.

I'm interested in AXIS