Author Topic: Things You Didn't Know About Saint Seiya [PART 1]  (Read 4784 times)

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
Re: Things You Didn't Know About Saint Seiya [PART 1]
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »
It was Masami way to figure out his characters when he was starting:

一輝(Ikki) - 一番輝く男(The Man that is Most Shining) to contrast 瞬き(MatatakiーTwinkle, a flicker of light)->瞬(Shun)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 12:36:02 PM »
Yes, I get that, I am just telling that is incorrect to literally translate it to English...I don't know if you understand what I am trying to  tell you here but I see yours and frankly you are just saying what I have said. A twinkle or a spark is a faint light whereas dazzling is a very strong light. It does show contrast of the two brothers. What am I missing here?

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
It's not incorrect. Ikki - One Shine, as in Number 1 Shining... Simple and direct...

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »
Agree with Mu that it should be translate literally, but I also think it might have a hidden meaning of 'a light that shine once', to contrast with how he could revive and shine again. No particular reasons other than that it sounds plausible and would be rather cool if that's how it is xD

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 07:12:53 PM »
...but that doesn't make grammatical sense in English.  Something like "Brightest Shine" works a bit better; you can't really attach "most" to "shine" that way in English.  You can't say, "That light is most shining out of all of them," or, "That light has the most shine out of all."  If you want to keep "shine" as a noun it needs to be rendered as, "That light has the brightest shine out of all."  Alternatively, "most brilliant" could work in place of "brightest."  Even Seiya's "dazzling" would work well here.

mahogany

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Smile :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 07:28:16 PM »
...but that doesn't make grammatical sense in English.  Something like "Brightest Shine" works a bit better; you can't really attach "most" to "shine" that way in English.  You can't say, "That light is most shining out of all of them," or, "That light has the most shine out of all."  If you want to keep "shine" as a noun it needs to be rendered as, "That light has the brightest shine out of all."  Alternatively, "most brilliant" could work in place of "brightest."  Even Seiya's "dazzling" would work well here.

"That light has the brightest shine out of all" sounds nice... ^^"

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 12:09:17 PM »
Agree with Mu that it should be translate literally, but I also think it might have a hidden meaning of 'a light that shine once', to contrast with how he could revive and shine again. No particular reasons other than that it sounds plausible and would be rather cool if that's how it is xD

But Niello-chan that could be misleading. Although given the fact that it literally means one shine,then it can mean anything at that point which is wrong, isn't it? How does someone determine that this is what it means? I always thought that it meant brilliant/shining anyway...dazzling was just me going crazy but it's still not wrong, it still shows how strong it is.

Most brilliant works for me. It does show the superiority that Mu-san mentions.

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 08:33:46 PM »
@Seiya-nii, Japanese people tend to love wordplays, why not leave it as that? Since when are names only limited to having one meaning?

Pisces Aphrodite

• Bronze Saint
  • "that sanctuary is in the hands of all demons"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 10:09:50 PM »

Also, there's a side story about Shun and Ikki when they were kids. I believe I mentioned this before, but since I can't remember I'll mention it again.

Shun had found some eggs on the Kido property, and he and Ikki decided to boil them to eat. Well, sadly after they had cracked opened the eggs, this is where Shun discovered they had boiled some baby birds, and they were now dead because of it. And Ikki tried to consol him about it, because Shun honestly didn't know. But Shun just kept crying, because he felt so bad that two baby birds were now dead, all because he wanted to share some boiled eggs with his brother.

Sorry if I'm butting in! But if it's not too much trouble, where did you find out about that side story? And are there other little side stories of the saints that I could find if so?