Author Topic: Things You Didn't Know About Saint Seiya [PART 1]  (Read 4783 times)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
Things You Didn't Know About Saint Seiya [PART 1]
« on: February 15, 2015, 12:21:44 PM »
This thread is about Masami Kurumada’s original ideas that he changed them afterwards, character personality, armor designs, things that still could happen and other things that were left unexplained in the story. Note that I am going to say also stuff that most or some of you already know so please be patient. Also forgive me if I comment here and there. My comments will be in brackets so you can ignore those. Finally I would like to apologize for not making it all in one thread but it is true that a block of text will make most of the readers go away…so I decided to divide it into smaller pieces.

THE BEGINNING

The series was supposed to be a Shounen-Sports series and it would be about Wrestling [this is where the spandex makes sense, make no mistake those are spandex, Masami admitted that he couldn't draw a tight fit pants  that’s what he wanted but he couldn't…just check all of his works].  These wrestlers were supposed to have ring names based on the 88 Constellations and they would have attack names based on the universe. He thought that the Fighters should have also punches and kicks that could freeze, burn, paralyze and so on but to do that he couldn't leave them defenseless thus the creation of the armors.
The very first armor Masami Kurumada created was the Leo Gold Cloth. All the other Gold Cloths were designed based on the Leo Cloth.
The protagonist’s name was supposed to be Leonids (meteor shower like Perseids) and he was supposed to be the Leo Gold Saint [probably the Saint stands for Fighter/Warrior but the important thing is that the Saint remained].

Since he decided to make all the Saints related to the Zodiac to be the ones with the Gold rank (which would be the top Fighters) he thought that it would be a better idea to forget about the Leo Gold Saint and put him as a random character that appears only in Chapter One and changing his name to Aioria but later he decided to leave him in the series and  make him one of the “bosses” instead of the main character and make someone else a protagonist who will start from the beginning and will get better and better through the series. The new character inherits the Leo’s attacks as well, as he wanted to have the meteors for the main character no matter what.
Since he finally found out who to use as the protagonist he had to find a title. First he thought naming him Rin and so he thought of the title “Ginga no Rin”. However later on he didn't like that name as it was too cute for the fiery person he had in his mind as well as the name of the title. Then he said that Seiya would be more fitting name and finally naming it “Saint Seiya”.

So after finding the character design he wanted (the same with Ryuuji from Ring ni Kakero and also every other series that followed) he decided to look for his Constellation [or should I say his ring name from the Constellation]. After “eliminating” one by one all the Constellations that didn't fit him he narrowed his choices between two Constellations, Pegasus and Unicorn (the publisher suggested that it should be a horse Constellation). Finally he ended up with Pegasus and up to this day he didn't regret for choosing that one.  
It is unclear when Masami Kurumada changed direction from a wrestling series to the series that we know today. One thing is for sure, that Saori was not Athena from the start of the series but a spoiled rich girl that was having fun with other people’s lives and that Tatsumi was her loyal bodyguard [more like a lapdog xD]. It changed afterwards with the final concept of the Saints.

End of Part 1 …stay tuned for more…

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Didn't Know About Saint Seiya [PART 1]
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 12:37:18 PM »
Here it comes, the long awaited thread(s) xD

SageofTime

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 01:12:05 PM »
This is really interesting to know how Saint Seiya first started out and what it is know.

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 03:58:24 PM »
I wonder if we can have a Saint Seiya spin-off with that original idea of wrestling saints, that would be an interesting protrayal of Saint Seiya and its characters :P

What's the possibility that the mask for the girls are a reference to that [wrestling]?

@Seiya-nii, Understood, I'm sort of busy with college works so I'm probably going to do it at a sluggish pace (unless you want it quickly) but I'll try my best and not have you wait too long for it .
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:40:07 PM by Niello »

Cadraire

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »
An interesting read.
I'm glad it didn't turn out as a sports theme, but yeah, it could be a fun spin-off... XD

Janet

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 03:39:23 PM »
Learning more about Saint Seiya is quite interesting and a sports theme Anime wouldn't be to bad but I'm glad Kurumada decided to make it all about Saints it fits better :) but I would want to know more though ..

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 09:23:39 PM »
Now that I think about it, wouldn't this thread fits better in the Important stuff board?

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:40:20 PM »
Wow, I had no idea Saint Seiya was supposed to be about wrestling... and I'm glad it didn't turn out to be. I've got nothing against wrestling, I'm just generally not interesting in sports manga, which means that if Kuru would have sticked to his first plans, I would probably never have become a StS fan ...

Nonetheless, it's incredibly interesting to know the development process and all the changes made !
:seiya: " Allô Shiryu, c'est toi ?"
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 03:41:57 AM »
The series was supposed to be a Shounen-Sports series and it would be about Wrestling [this is where the

Nob, it was supposed to be a Karate battle story and then he changed it to a more mythological story.

Since he finally found out who to use as the protagonist he had to find a title. First he thought naming him Rin and so he thought of the title “Ginga no Rin”. However later on he didn't like that name as it was too cute for the fiery person he had in his mind as well as the name of the title. Then he said that Seiya would be more fitting name and finally naming it “Saint Seiya”.

It was a progression. It was Rin then Seiya[Sacred Arrow], then changed it to Seiya[Star Arrow].

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 11:35:30 PM »
Seiya-nii...will part 2 ever come? (and 3, 4, 5...if you let me be a little greedy)

Shunhades

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 03:37:29 AM »
 I actually knew this, but then I had actually gotten curious and done my own research.

XD Like when he had decided on Shun's name which means "Twinkling Star." which was meant to be a relation of the sounds his chains on the Andromeda cloth make. He wanted Ikki's name to tie into Shun's name. While also retaining a relation to him being the Phoenix. This is why Ikki's name means "Gleam."

Also, there's a side story about Shun and Ikki when they were kids. I believe I mentioned this before, but since I can't remember I'll mention it again.

Shun had found some eggs on the Kido property, and he and Ikki decided to boil them to eat. Well, sadly after they had cracked opened the eggs, this is where Shun discovered they had boiled some baby birds, and they were now dead because of it. And Ikki tried to consol him about it, because Shun honestly didn't know. But Shun just kept crying, because he felt so bad that two baby birds were now dead, all because he wanted to share some boiled eggs with his brother.

Shun was 6, Ikki was 8. If anyone needs to know that.

When I read this years ago, I was like "D8 poor baby! It's okay! You didn't know!"

But then, this is also why in my own head-canon, why I believe, Shun doesn't eat eggs. Cause you know, from what happened. Considering his character, I feel it's how he'd honestly react to it. Just never eat eggs again. But then he's also the king of long shower times. xD Which I'm pretty sure stems from when he was training on Andromeda Island. Like sure, he's okay with going without a shower if he has to. But when he gets a shower, his shower times are generally no less than an hour. LOL.
Saint Seiya Fan for over 20 years

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 04:49:28 AM »
XD Like when he had decided on Shun's name which means "Twinkling Star." which was meant to be a relation of the sounds his chains on the Andromeda cloth make. He wanted Ikki's name to tie into Shun's name. While also retaining a relation to him being the Phoenix. This is why Ikki's name means "Gleam."

Nob, to contrast Shun's meaning Ikki means 'Most shining'

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 08:43:07 AM »
Nob, it was supposed to be a Karate battle story and then he changed it to a more mythological story.

Masami never said that it was Karate either, all he said was that it was going to be about Martial Arts he never specified it however when he was interviewed on Ring Ni Kakero he mentions that Saint Seiya was supposed to be based on Wrestling but changed it so it wouldn't be the same as Ring Ni Kakero [because both have Cosmic names for attacks etc etc]. Plus, you have to take into consideration everything that it was shown in the story. Wrestlers have names in the rings...as the Saints did, Bear Geki did the most cliche move in Wrestling...Bearhug...and he is the Constellation of Bear...get the hint? also worth mentioning the spandex they wear plus another motto in Wrestling that Masami used it for his series. "The Same Move Will not Work on a Wrestler" (Saint).

I actually knew this, but then I had actually gotten curious and done my own research.

For Ikki is the verb "to gleam" not the noun " gleam" because they have different meaning, otherwise what Mu-san said...if I have time I will do the Bronze part... in any case Shun= Twinkle/Spark whereas Ikki=Dazzling/Shining.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 09:00:38 AM »
Masami never said that it was Karate either, all he said was that it was going to be about Martial Arts he 

Yes he did.

For Ikki is the verb "to gleam" not the noun " gleam" because they have different meaning, otherwise what Mu-san said...if I have time I will do the Bronze part... in any case Shun= Twinkle/Spark whereas Ikki=Dazzling/Shining.

Ikki-'One Shine' or to mean the most shining to contrast Shun-'Twinkle' or a little bit of shining...

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 09:25:40 AM »

Ikki-'One Shine' or to mean the most shining to contrast Shun-'Twinkle' or a little bit of shining...

But there's no such a thing ( I mean there is but not in that sense) as "most shining" in English...hence it means dazzling...which is so bright it that it blinds you. This shows what you mean.