Author Topic: How To Take Care Your Collection?  (Read 3941 times)

Himeros

• Still thinking of a Custom Title :)
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
How To Take Care Your Collection?
« on: January 12, 2015, 07:31:57 AM »
I finally have the opportunity and the fortune to start collecting some myth cloths. But today I found out on the internet that the metal parts might get discolored as the result of oxidation, and that fingerprints might leave some damaging moisture. That person advised the usage of baby oil all over the myth cloths every 3 months. This is a surprising news coz I thought myth cloths will stay good for long (except for scratches). The thought of not being able to freely touch my collection and to rub baby oil every 3 months are very cumbersome...

So what I want to ask is how to take care of myth cloths? The do's and don'ts.
I'm sure I'm not the only newbie collector who's wondering about that. Thanx...

雷 .r.G. 神

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 黄金の野牛。絶対美味しい牛肉を捜す
    • View Profile
Re: How To Take Care Your Collection?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 08:59:15 AM »
I cant believe I m seeing this post, I was about to write one!!!

anyways, here is how I do mine.

1. cloth myth 101, BUY A CABINET!!! glass doors, acrylic doors, don't matter. put them behind those doors, this prevents oxidation and dust.

2. if cabinets are too expensive or if you have space limitation, try buying a small display case. here is a good and cheap acrylic case that I used for hades. he is a big guy, so with his stand, it took up a whole case but it was worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26x14-5x25cm-Display-Box-FOR-Saint-Seiya-EX-Gold-Myth-Cloth-Gemini-Saga-Aiolos-/121278999910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3ccaad66

3. I don't know about using baby oil, since I don't live in humid area... los angeles is very dry. however, before I bought a case I was stupid and set up lyra in the living room and moisture from kitchen or outside got to it, so I did a really simple thing: jewelry wipe cloth. you know when you buy jewelry, it comes with a piece of cloth to clean them? yea, I used it to clean up lyra and it worked like magic. he is all shiny now.
この世に必要のない物が死ねだけだろう!!!

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:39:47 AM »
Can't say for sure as I place mine in display cases so never had that problem before and I live in New Jersey and the humidity is pretty high here. However this guy agrees with the baby oil...but not any baby oil will do. Check him out if you want.

Himeros

• Still thinking of a Custom Title :)
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 05:20:54 AM »
Emergency... Some of my SCM Myth Cloth are MELTING! It's horrible!!! For expensive stuff, these products are so vulnerable! ><

It started when I noticed that all new SCM have a thin layer of oil. So I asked a local facebook SCM group. Someone told me he used lubricant WD40 and/or Singer sewing machine oil. He told me to apply lightly. So I did. 1-2 weeks afterwards, I notice tiny bumps on both the metal and plastic parts of my Black Phoenix. And just now, I found both lower legs melted! It's like someone had burnt those parts. The most horrible melting incident happened to my Wyvern. The shoulder metal armor for the front part of the Wyvern object has a combination of scorched-like damage and acute rusting. Luckily both SCMs have dark color.

But I'm really disappointed with the quality. I mean, you can't expose it to dampness (cursed! I live in tropical country - and it's rainy season). Oil can damage it. Fingerprints may leave rust. Paint may flake off. I mean.... O.M.G.....   

geminikanon

• Silver Saint
  • Destroyer of Galaxies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
Emergency... Some of my SCM Myth Cloth are MELTING! It's horrible!!! For expensive stuff, these products are so vulnerable! ><

It started when I noticed that all new SCM have a thin layer of oil. So I asked a local facebook SCM group. Someone told me he used lubricant WD40 and/or Singer sewing machine oil. He told me to apply lightly. So I did. 1-2 weeks afterwards, I notice tiny bumps on both the metal and plastic parts of my Black Phoenix. And just now, I found both lower legs melted! It's like someone had burnt those parts. The most horrible melting incident happened to my Wyvern. The shoulder metal armor for the front part of the Wyvern object has a combination of scorched-like damage and acute rusting. Luckily both SCMs have dark color.

But I'm really disappointed with the quality. I mean, you can't expose it to dampness (cursed! I live in tropical country - and it's rainy season). Oil can damage it. Fingerprints may leave rust. Paint may flake off. I mean.... O.M.G.....   

Oh man!!  Sounds like we need to buy a humidity controlled display shelf just for MC! 

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 11:27:53 PM »
Someone told me he used lubricant WD40 and/or Singer sewing machine oil.

Yet like this guy from Taiwan says not to use any kind of oil because it  may destroy the armor pieces.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 12:11:48 AM »
Price don't determine quality. At the end of the day these are mass produced toys.

And when push and comes to shove toy makers and promoters say, 'They're only supposed to last for one year...'  :(

Like I always say, FUCK BANDAI!!  :angry:

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 02:14:51 AM »
Price don't determine quality. At the end of the day these are mass produced toys.

But that's the thing...they are not toys that you can play with...you collect them, display them and preserve them...the quality is actually pretty good...maybe not for the older versions of Myth Cloth specifically the ones with the 1st and 2nd generation body. I never liked those...which is why when I saw the EX I was excited.

PS. I tried to do the Pegasus V3 object but the front half with the back half won't connect as it won't fit...guess that one is faulty. Also the figure overall looks cheap...glad I didn't pay for that figure...lol.

I have no problem with the Pegasus God Cloth OCE , Hades OCE and the 10th anniversary God Cloths and Athena... they do feel premium just like the EX.

I am thinking of buying Poseidon ROE but I have a question. Why is the reissue cheaper than the first issue? is it because it's the "original" release? if so...isn't it also possible that the reissue would be somewhat improved in terms of the quality?

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 09:23:15 AM »
I am thinking of buying Poseidon ROE but I have a question. Why is the reissue cheaper than the first issue? is it because it's the "original" release? if so...isn't it also possible that the reissue would be somewhat improved in terms of the quality?

Most cases reissue cost less because they spend less time with QC, only few case where they would improve or add stuff. I wouldn't hold my breath for better quality unless it was a giant error and they decided to fix it. Check it before you buy to make sure that the quality is just as good as your other stuff...

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 09:39:58 AM »
Most cases reissue cost less because they spend less time with QC, only few case where they would improve or add stuff. I wouldn't hold my breath for better quality unless it was a giant error and they decided to fix it. Check it before you buy to make sure that the quality is just as good as your other stuff...

One more thing, I am only asking because they have 1000 YEN in price difference...they are also both with a Gold Sticker and Blue Stamp. Other than that my supplier can't help me with anything else rather than saying that I should go for the original release as it is risk free. I am also aware that he may just say this just to sell the old stock...no idea, I trusted him so many times and he never failed me but there is always a first time for everything. So I need a 3rd opinion.

Saga

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 02:09:04 PM »
I ordered Rhadamanthys figure from Amazon, even though its supposed to be new, there was oil on the armor!

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 06:37:33 PM »
I'd be mighty pissed.

雷 .r.G. 神

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 黄金の野牛。絶対美味しい牛肉を捜す
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 08:43:16 PM »
I ordered Rhadamanthys figure from Amazon, even though its supposed to be new, there was oil on the armor!

yea sometimes, but its not supposed to be a lot. its lubricant supposedly (don't get pervy, you bastards)
この世に必要のない物が死ねだけだろう!!!

SageofTime

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 09:01:59 PM »
That must of been gross to touch that after getting it out of the box

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 09:09:28 PM »
The oil is to protect the figure...