Author Topic: The Weirdness of Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary  (Read 4683 times)

IrrelevantMaverick

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • accio Aiolos!
    • View Profile
    • moi
The Weirdness of Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary
« on: December 28, 2014, 02:04:21 AM »
Alright, last time I was around here and still active, there were promos (and my high hopes) of the cgi movie of SS Legend of Sanctuary. Then I got around to other things and SS became a dear old fandom to me. But I never truly left. So a few months ago I heard the cgi movie has finally been released in Japan. I was also told that it was in the news among anime sites (or Japan news channels) that the glitzy SS LoS movie promo posters in Burger Kings in Japan were stolen. I saw some of the pics of it online and DAMN were they beautiful. :aioros:

Well, I was shown a clean version and later an English subbed SS LoS on youtube. Not sure how long they'll be up there so please search for them on your own.

So here's my review as a long time fan, therefore I will obviously be biased toward classic SS storyline/characters. I also watched this with a more casual SS fan too so I had to explain some things to them. I came on because it was bothering me so much and I knew this was the best place to share my opinion loud and clear. This forum has always been respectful and you guys appreciate SS so you'll know where I'm coming from. MAJOR SPOILERS.

Legend of rating: :seiya: = 1 star,   :kiki: = 1/2 star

-Visual Eye Candies-:   :seiya: :seiya: :seiya: :kiki: /5
YES. This movie was beautiful to see. Landscape of a snowy sky had detailed snowflakes. I'll have to check back later to see if each were uniquely designed. You know the saying, no snowflake is alike or something. The colors weren't stark nor overly bright. I liked that everything was easy on the eyes, even the attacks. Even the random disco lights in Cancer temple weren't retina-shocking. But it was still a shock to my core in other ways. The sky was gorgeous and even the rays of sunlight coming through the sliding glass doors in the "bonus" scene at the end was realistic.

Clothing looked like it had texture such as Saori's cardigan (IIRC). Hyoga's jacket was sexy. But what's great here is that some of our main Bronzies were wearing outfits. Dressed very casually. Shiryu was not. :shiryu: Then again, maybe he was shirtless as always? There's a running gag in this movie about him actually keeping his Cloth on versus our fandom's joke that Shiryu likes to go shirtless in his fight scenes. I have no problem either way. Ikki only ever showed up in his cloth. Mu wearing glasses was hot. But he looked like an old librarian. In fact, he didn't have a round baby face like his anime/manga counterpart. So I wasn't happy to see him with a long thin face. He looked so old even though he's one of the younger Gold Saints.

Sanctuary had interesting architecture. But there was that stupid cityscape they had going on. I don't even know what that's supposed to be. Does this movie's Sanctuary have a modern town or something? Or is that supposed to be where the Saints and guards live? Definitely no sign of the training coliseum. The 12 temples have these connecting archways/bridges which looked alright. It didn't take away anything from this movie. Some temples were designed with some details. Aldebaran has a stained glass ceiling. I think they borrowed the scene from SS Hades Sanctuary anime episode where the Bronzies crashed through a similar ceiling. I'm guessing because it was such a kickass entrance, and who knows, maybe the animators of that episode got such positive feedback on it they included it in the cgi movie.

Mu's temple looked very Greek. Deathmask's temple was a pure joke. I guess they wanted to up the comical tone in this movie for the kids because the faces of the dead in the movie did not look afraid or angry but resembled bland opera masks etched onto the walls. There were laser lights too. Now it was all animated greatly and smoothly. I mean, sure the dinner table with candles and cutlery were beautiful in Taurus Temple. But why waste screen time and budget to animate singing happy masks when that time could've gone to Aphrodite?? Was that why he was literally dropped in this movie?

Sanctuary's main 12 temples and Athena's temple has a medieval cathedral outer design. I instantly thought of the Notre Dame. Again, really nice architecture. Obviously the animators were very talented. Just not sure what they were trying to prove though, but I really didn't have a problem with it. Aquarius temple had an amazing scene it. The first thing you notice is that giant "mainstay" looking thing in the middle. And I swallowed hard. I almost thought the movie was cutting to a Poseidon reference. There is a serene but dark looking surface of water. You can't even see through it to see if there's a ceiling in Aquarius temple or if that is the ceiling. But after Camus makes his appearance, it does look more like a gigantic tall jug. I really hope they'll use the same animation technique/scene if they ever do a Poseidon movie. Hyoga vs Camus was visually stunning and hands down the best fight scene to me to watch in this whole movie.

The Gold cloths and Bronze cloths looked stunning in this movie. They applied a glowing aspect to their cloth. It enhanced the cloth because then the audience can see the cloth in darkened scenes. Frankly, it helped me to identify them too because they had their faces covered up. It was a nice touch. But I hated it. It was unnecessary. These characters are already covered in armor. We need to see their faces to get a sense of their pain or triumph. They spent some screentime on Seiya and even Shun's various expressions. Like that slight eye roll Shun gives when he was lying on a couch. Camus' cloth made me laugh at first. He had an actual jug hanging over his shoulder that looked like a canon. But I got over it after Camus unleashed his awesome Aurora Execution.

Milo was a stunning red headed woman. Why? Was it because the animation team wanted to channel their sex drive into creating a female? Or was it due to the lack of female characters in this movie? So instead of adding one more character like Marin or Shaina, they just picked some poor Gold Saint and changed him completely. Maybe since they wanted to balance out the main cast of guys or have some female characters for the women in the audience to relate to, they needed to do this. Maybe they couldn't even add another character due to budget so they didn't want to hire another voice actress. Dumb idea anyhow. And if they were gonna make a character female, why not choose Aphrodite? Appearance-wise wouldn't have made a difference, just need to have a more higher pitched tone. I don't think we ever got to see Shaka's face. Then again, he kept his eyes closed. But I wanted to see his hair!!

In the earlier trailers, I thought what is now revealed as a short-haired Saori, was actually Miho. I was so excited. Because in the trailer, her hair looked kind of blue. My wish was extinguished. I was annoyed.

-Characterizations-   :seiya: :seiya: :kiki: / 5
I'm only going to discuss some notable character aspects. Saga was dastardly as Evil Saga and his good side did show with his jet black hair. Evil Saga did have gray hair to show the personality change. But sadly he wasn't impressive. He didn't fight like a Gold Saint. For non-SS fans who watched this movie, they were probably reminded of the Power Rangers. Five Bronze Saints in specific colored Cloths standing in front of Saga who's within a giant Gorgon-looking megazord. It looked like a Gorgon like the one in SS Episoge.G. I actually joked that Square Enix might've had a hand in this because Saga looked like Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII where he had that big winged body thing. To non-SS fans, they probably thought Saga was a throw-away bad guy. A one-dimensional mental case.

Shun was super cute. I liked his easy-going confidence. What I also liked was that he had less hesitation toward fighting. Sure, that was a big part of his character but I'm saying it's a nice change. And it probably helped with story pacing. But his character development was cut because he never had a chance to fight Aphrodite! :aphrodite2: I'm going to have to re-watch the Aphrodite vs Shun anime episode, but in the manga Seiya makes a remark that Aphrodite would be easy to beat since he looked like a girl (More or less what he was saying) and good ol' Shun took offense. Shun actually chooses to fight Aphrodite on his own because he hates it when men are looked down upon if they're not manly (again, that's what he meant more or less). I was actually looking forward to seeing their fight scene more than Camus vs Hyoga. I think if they had animated their fight, theirs would've been my fave instead. How badass would it be to see Bloody Rose?

The abscence of Kiki actually works for this cgi movie. I'm not sure what Kiki would even do to help move the storyline along since this movie was about 90 minutes long. Besides, I'm not sure if they'd be able to capture Kiki's cuteness. In all the 3d/cgi animated movies of seen with kids in them, they didn't look as cute as they could be or as realistic. They always looked like Cabbage Patch Kids. Ew. Examples like Final Fantasy XIII, with Dajh (Sazh's son) or Tangled when Rapunzel was a little girl. I did not want to see a Cabbage Patch Kid version of Kiki.

Tatsumi didn't resemble his manga/anime counterpart at all.

Aioros was still hot and he did still accomplish saving baby Athena. Whew! I was relieved. I loved his voice.

Saga with his normal black hair looked hot at the end. Not enough to be a saving grace of the ending.

-Story-   :seiya: :seiya: / 5
The basic premise of this movie is the same as the anime/manga of Sanctuary which is Athena gets stuck with Sagitta's arrow. The Bronzies have a limited time to get through all 12 Temples and defeat the Master. But I'm only going over the points that stuck out in my mind. I'm going to start with what I hated most: the ending sucked major balls. Everything was going good for things I could live with. I like to take movies as an alternate reality of books or shows I like and I enjoy as long as what they depict is moving or doesn't drastically change a character. Well, after Milo and Shura beat the crap out of Shun and Seiya, my stomach started to turn. Everyone who was in the Sagittarius Temple got to read Aioros' message. No problem there. But what was wrong was that it was missing something. And I realized this scene wasn't poignant at all in this movie. Everything starts getting rushed at this point. Shaka in this movie unbrainwashed Aiolia where in the manga he was the one who did it to Aiolia to make him obey the Master.  A plus to this was that Shaka didn't have those students of his like in the anime. Cassios wasn't in this movie which I could live with.

But what was really maddening was when Saga takes on a Gorgon-megazord looking thing and fights in that. Why would he need a "second form"? This isn't a stupid RPG. I wanted to see Gemini Saga fight Gold Saint style. But no, it's too much to ask for. I was like I'm done with this movie. And then it happened. Seiya dons the Sagittarius cloth and in this scene that will burn in my memory forever is where he bridal style carries Saori in his arms and then the scene expands to show that the lower half of Seiya is actually a golden centaur's body with moving hooves. The hooves moves! And Seiya's human ass is nowhere. The way the hooves moves made me shudder. I kept yelling, "No, no, no, nonononononono!!!!!!!" It was ridiculous. I was so disgusted with the ending. I can't unsee it.

The beginning was great. With the wise use of canon-fodder, the Bronzies each got their own dynamic entrance. Hyoga's was by far the sexiest sassiest-looking. I don't know how to describe what I mean. It's like he was sassy with his actions. I don't know, I just love it down to the last second. Each got to demonstrate at least one of their techniques. During the rest of their fight scenes, the characters don't often say the names of their attacks. But SS fans can easily recognize them because they animated it so well. Which is a shame about Gemini Saga. And Aphrodite.

Deathmask was kicked in the brain for this movie. He was not tyrannical so much as we was an idiot. He was made out to be some happy-go-lucky bad singer. He sang his philosophy basically. You know, that it doesn't matter who his enemy is because he'll kill them and scrape their face off. Because the faces were passed off as appearing less like human faces and more like opera masks and that they seemed to cut down/not touch upon the horror of what they really are, that the audience doesn't really get the feel that Deathmask is a fiend, the Cancer Temple is a deadzone and Shiryu is the proud avenger. The concert thing was terrifying in its own way.

Here's another kicker: the Master was holding a scroll that actually pops up a hologram screen like in the Iron Man movies. So that cityscape background? I'm guessing Toei was trying to depict that the Saints, Athena and Sanctuary is among modern times but well beyond because they're in a parallel world. The Bronzies and Aiolia take a portal to get to Sanctuary. And it strongly reminded me of the movie Thor where it's in another realm but they're more advanced than earthlings. I didn't mind it but it wasn't adding any points in favor of this movie.

I almost forgot. In the manga/anime, Mitsumasa Kiddo was traveling in Greece when he came across Aioros but in this movie he was exploring an icy underground cavern. I'll need to rewatch but maybe it became ice due to the rate Aioros fell down. Whatever.

What they had an opportunity to do was correct Shura's appearance. In the manga he was supposed to be around 10 years old when he killed Aioros and yet he looked full grown. They should've made him look younger at the beginning. Then again, please refer to my Cabbage Patch Kid rant above when I say that maybe they were better off leaving it as is.

-Bonus Scene-
I was surprised they had anything after the credits. But I loved it. Even though it was out of place. Saori apparently put her school uniform back on. But I forgot about all that after I heard Shiryu say Happy Birthday. I want him to say that to me;) Of course, the running gag occurs here too where he's the only Bronze Saint to have his cloth on.

Overall movie rating:  :seiya: :seiya: :kiki:  / 5

I actually do want them to try making a CGI movie of the Poseidon and Hades sagas. There are plenty of opportunities to correct some manga mistakes or make the story better in the movie of the Poseidon saga. :saga: For Hades saga, I prefer they mostly stick to the source material because it was good storywise. Athena in a jar still doesn't make sense though. :saga:
♥♥Lune, Orion, Kagaho, Alone, Sisyphus, Fyodor, Retsu, Touma♥♥

Shunhades

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
Re: The Weirdness of Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 09:48:30 PM »
Shiryu was wearing casual clothing. And no he wasn't shirtless. You just don't really get to see it cause he's putting on his cloth. And he keeps it on in case things happened (Which they did.). That's why Seiya picked on him when they were at the Kido Manor.

How did you  not see the training collseum? It was one of the places where they fought that giant that Saga released. Also even in classic, there's a whole city in Sanctuary. Sanctuary does not simply consist of the 12 temples and Athena's temple. It's a literal whole entire city that time has seem to have forgotten to a certain extent. Because the people know about modern day things. But only Saints, and those with permission are allowed to leave. Go back to classic and you'll see the Pope walking around seeing the common people. That's part of Sanctuary. Not Athens.

xD Mu's temple wasn't all the greek in terms of decoration. Those giant stones (The bling the bronzies were referring to), are actually Lemurian Seed Stones. Which was supposed to give people a clue as to what Mu was. In mythology, it is said the Lemurian people used such stones to pass on knowledge.

They weren't trying to prove anything. Even in classic, everyones temple is a bit different. Especially on the inside. Look at Shaka's temple in classic. It was Hindi based. Not Greek based.

You obviously did not pay attention to all the stuff that came out about Milo. The crew have an inside joke as to why Milo is a woman. And when they thought it'd be a funny add, they physically ASKED Kurumada's permission to leave him as a girl. And Kurumada said yes. Because he knew about the joke, and it was funny thing amongst them. It was not about a sex drive or anything. And I feel you did not do your research on this matter.

How do you  not see Shaka's hair? You can see it just fine. He's a ginger just as much as Milo was. >.>

No one was supposed to represent their counterparts of the classic series. The reason was because this movie was created to appeal to the younger audiences of today. But if it makes you happy to know. A lot of the younger audiences actually preferred classic over this movie. While still enjoying this movie.

I could go over everything that you said. But of course this is a matter of opinion.

What I commented on where some things I noted you basically either didn't notice, or were ill informed. I'm not sure what you were expecting from this movie. Because all the information clearly stating that this movie was to appeal to a younger audience was there.

And Kurumada, himself, assisted with the film to work with the character personalities.

ALL THE CHARACTERS WERE PURPOSEFULLY CHANGED TO SOME EXTENT. That was the point.

=/ Again, I do feel you didn't do you research. And I kind of can't really feel that you paid much attention to classic.

Yes I agree not having Kiki, in the film was a good call. But you have to remember Kiki was a supportive comical character. Not a main character. Thus not being able to make him "cute enough" was not the reason they did not include him. It was because he was not necessary since Saori travels with the saints through the temples instead of staying near the Aries temple. Kiki would of literally had nothing to do.

Over all I enjoyed your insight on what you thought of the film. But again I feel it's greatly lacking in much of it's information. =/ Sorry.
Saint Seiya Fan for over 20 years

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:25:47 AM »

1.How did you  not see the training collseum? It was one of the places where they fought that giant that Saga released. Also even in classic, there's a whole city in Sanctuary. Sanctuary does not simply consist of the 12 temples and Athena's temple. It's a literal whole entire city that time has seem to have forgotten to a certain extent. Because the people know about modern day things. But only Saints, and those with permission are allowed to leave. Go back to classic and you'll see the Pope walking around seeing the common people. That's part of Sanctuary. Not Athens.

2.xD Mu's temple wasn't all the greek in terms of decoration. Those giant stones (The bling the bronzies were referring to), are actually Lemurian Seed Stones. Which was supposed to give people a clue as to what Mu was. In mythology, it is said the Lemurian people used such stones to pass on knowledge.

3.You obviously did not pay attention to all the stuff that came out about Milo. The crew have an inside joke as to why Milo is a woman. And when they thought it'd be a funny add, they physically ASKED Kurumada's permission to leave him as a girl. And Kurumada said yes. Because he knew about the joke, and it was funny thing amongst them. It was not about a sex drive or anything. And I feel you did not do your research on this matter.

4.No one was supposed to represent their counterparts of the classic series. The reason was because this movie was created to appeal to the younger audiences of today. But if it makes you happy to know. A lot of the younger audiences actually preferred classic over this movie. While still enjoying this movie.

5.What I commented on where some things I noted you basically either didn't notice, or were ill informed. I'm not sure what you were expecting from this movie. Because all the information clearly stating that this movie was to appeal to a younger audience was there.

6.ALL THE CHARACTERS WERE PURPOSEFULLY CHANGED TO SOME EXTENT. That was the point.

=/ Again, I do feel you didn't do you research. And I kind of can't really feel that you paid much attention to classic.

1. Maybe that was not the Colosseum, who can really say it was ?...we can't tell, there was really nothing Greek overall anyway. -_-
Also Sanctuary is PART of Athens.

2. I have to agree on that but at least she tried.

3. Yeah... it's hilarious, everytime I think about it...makes me want to cry. -_-

4. If it was made for new audience then they SHOULD not have random stuff here and there, give explanations so the NEW audience understands what the heck is going on. Critics have said if you don't know the Saint Seiya series, you will not understand a thing. Other Critics that didn't know the series have said pretty much the same thing. " Very cool effects but I have no idea what I've just watched".

5. See no4...oh you meant the younger audience? so what was this movie for 1-3 year old? Because my little cousin is 4 and he said that it was lame and had a bunch of random things what didn't stick together and if a 4 year old boy says that then something is really wrong here. Kids are not stupid.

6. SOME EXTEND NOT A WHOLE NEW CHARACTER especially Seiya, Shiryu and Shun were NOT even close to their characters. -.-
She has done a very well.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:50:30 AM by Seiya »

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:35:38 AM »

How did you  not see the training collseum? It was one of the places where they fought that giant that Saga released. Also even in classic, there's a whole city in Sanctuary. Sanctuary does not simply consist of the 12 temples and Athena's temple. It's a literal whole entire city that time has seem to have forgotten to a certain extent. Because the people know about modern day things. But only Saints, and those with permission are allowed to leave. Go back to classic and you'll see the Pope walking around seeing the common people. That's part of Sanctuary. Not Athens.

Actually that was Rodorio the pope was walking around in, the village outside of Sanctuary.
But still, there is a kind of city in Sanctuary, albeit many of the buildings are ruins.

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

IrrelevantMaverick

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • accio Aiolos!
    • View Profile
    • moi
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 06:33:30 PM »
Interesting, you've pointed out some things I didn't know about @Shunhades. But here I go:
Shiryu was wearing casual clothing. And no he wasn't shirtless. You just don't really get to see it cause he's putting on his cloth. And he keeps it on in case things happened (Which they did.). That's why Seiya picked on him when they were at the Kido Manor.
Where? I can see he's got some black undershirt on, but it looks no different than his "training clothes" that he typically wears under his cloth in the manga/anime. So not really casual clothing. And yes, which is why I also said compared to the shirtless-Shiryu-joke here in the fandom, the movie had Shiryu keep his clothes. And I also did not miss Shiryu explaining why he had his cloth on.

How did you  not see the training collseum? It was one of the places where they fought that giant that Saga released. Also even in classic, there's a whole city in Sanctuary. Sanctuary does not simply consist of the 12 temples and Athena's temple. It's a literal whole entire city that time has seem to have forgotten to a certain extent. Because the people know about modern day things. But only Saints, and those with permission are allowed to leave. Go back to classic and you'll see the Pope walking around seeing the common people. That's part of Sanctuary. Not Athens.

xD Mu's temple wasn't all the greek in terms of decoration. Those giant stones (The bling the bronzies were referring to), are actually Lemurian Seed Stones. Which was supposed to give people a clue as to what Mu was. In mythology, it is said the Lemurian people used such stones to pass on knowledge.
I watched it again, it's so easy to miss because everything was happening so fast in the movie. Like Tetsu Aero and Seiya also mentioned, maybe it wasn't the training coliseum. There's a lot of stuff in ruins but upon closer inspection it does seem like it. But if they intended it to be, the movie should've shown the coliseum more clearly to make it obvious to the fans if the few of us here didn't really identify it. And I did know about the village that the Pope visits, like Testu Aero said, it's outside of Sanctuary. But who knows, maybe that's part of the movie's Sanctuary.

That's great, I've never heard about Lemurian Seed Stones.

They weren't trying to prove anything. Even in classic, everyones temple is a bit different. Especially on the inside. Look at Shaka's temple in classic. It was Hindi based. Not Greek based.

You obviously did not pay attention to all the stuff that came out about Milo. The crew have an inside joke as to why Milo is a woman. And when they thought it'd be a funny add, they physically ASKED Kurumada's permission to leave him as a girl. And Kurumada said yes. Because he knew about the joke, and it was funny thing amongst them. It was not about a sex drive or anything. And I feel you did not do your research on this matter.

How do you  not see Shaka's hair? You can see it just fine. He's a ginger just as much as Milo was. >.>
I didn't have any problem with temples being different. I think you've misunderstood me. My point in my review about Mu's temple was that it looked like how it's supposed to as Aries Temple (Pillars, whitewashed walls etc) while for some reason they inserted color strobe lights and turned the masks into bad singers all over the pillars/walls of Cancer Temple. I have read the manga and watched the anime, I KNOW that the temple designs reflect their Gold Saint.

When I like a movie or show, I usually will look up interviews or behind-the-scenes clips. I only visited the official Japanese Saint Seiya Legend of Sanctuary website for the trailers. I don't understand Japanese so I didn't bother looking up any interviews about the crew/movie because most of the time, there's no English subs. And for that matter, I still don't care for them changing Milo into a woman. I was also being rhetorical about the questions I brought up about female Milo because I was just venting. Even if I found out what they're inside joke was, what would finding out the reason make me change my feelings about what they did to Milo in this movie? I was going into my review as an old fan who watched this new movie. I don't need to research production interviews before I can share my opinion on what they portrayed in the movie. I took this movie at face value without looking up production notes because I don't need them to be able to watch a SS movie, but because I am a long time fan of the manga and anime, I of course compared it to that. Anyway, I still hated the change they made. And like Seiya mentioned, they could make changes to some extent but not a whole new character. Especially a major character. :milo:

For example, I totally get why this movie would reinvent Saori/Athena to be this nice little girl who healed Seiya. If they had gone the classic route and featured younger Saori as the little spoiled brat, it might seem like a total 180 on her personality when she became nice to the Saints since this movie is only about 90 minutes. They simply wouldn't have time to develop a plot to have her character start behaving maturely and politely.

Another thing I noticed that I didn't mind so I didn't bring it up in my review was that the movie aged up Saori. Since Seiya and Shun were supposed to be the same age as Saori in the manga/anime of around 13 years old, I'm assuming they also meant for Seiya and Shun to be older. I'm glad they chose 16 years old instead. It makes more sense appearance-wise because Seiya and Saori always did seem older than 13.

As for Shaka's hair, you meant blonde right?  :shaka: And that's all you can tell is that it's long and blonde. I wanted to see what his bangs looked like and the whole top of his head. Although I didn't get to see him helmet-less, I mostly still liked his character portrayal in this movie.
No one was supposed to represent their counterparts of the classic series. The reason was because this movie was created to appeal to the younger audiences of today. But if it makes you happy to know. A lot of the younger audiences actually preferred classic over this movie. While still enjoying this movie.

I could go over everything that you said. But of course this is a matter of opinion.

What I commented on where some things I noted you basically either didn't notice, or were ill informed. I'm not sure what you were expecting from this movie. Because all the information clearly stating that this movie was to appeal to a younger audience was there.

And Kurumada, himself, assisted with the film to work with the character personalities.

ALL THE CHARACTERS WERE PURPOSEFULLY CHANGED TO SOME EXTENT. That was the point.

Yes I agree not having Kiki, in the film was a good call. But you have to remember Kiki was a supportive comical character. Not a main character. Thus not being able to make him "cute enough" was not the reason they did not include him.
What do you mean no one? I think you're generalizing a bit so I won't take you literally but if the point of this movie is to NOT even resemble their counterparts, then this movie is just some alternate storyline. Character-wise, I do think they've captured almost everyone's essential personality. Except Deathmask, he was like a completely different character. At least female Milo was still serious, loyal and badass like how Milo is in the manga/anime.

I think you misunderstood what I said about Kiki, I'm HAPPY they didn't include him due to story pacing. Because I know that he's a supporting character and therefore not necessary to the plot. So I wasn't saying that due to animation not being able to create cute kids that it is the sole reason that he wasn't in the movie but that I was ADDING it as another good reason not to include Kiki.

What I was expecting from this movie was a CGI take on the Sanctuary arc. But the major changes in this movie, which were the things I felt worth discussing and made the experience painful, took away from this movie rather than enhance the story because those changes were so ridiculous.

The changes I had a major problem with: 1) Aphrodite's death scene 2) Deathmask's concert 3) Saga's "2nd form" 4) Seiya's centaur hooves. None of these are in a particular order either. I can actually live with having a female Milo.

In fact, I don't even understand who their target audience was. Was it really for a younger audience? Shouldn't they be appealing to an older audience when it comes to Saint Seiya, a battle anime based on Greek mythology? If they even wanted to appeal and bring in a new generation to the fanbase, I can't imagine they did successfully because the last half of this movie was so rushed and a hot mess. But you've already mentioned the younger audience preferred the classic. I think TOEI should've kept the fans in mind. The old fans are already a good place to start with in terms of marketing because we would be willing to pay money for a SS movie. All the other changes they made besides the 4 I listed I could tolerate.

But I do believe if they hadn't made those 4 changes, none of which I think would be appealing to a "younger audience" anyway, this movie could've garnered fresh new fans that way by spending less time on singing masks and Saga's 2nd form and rework that screen time (and budget perhaps) back into Aphrodite's fight scene. I think old and any "new" fans could've done without that horrifying Sagittarius hoof prancing anyday. And voila!

Frankly, I did enjoy most of this movie for what it was. Otherwise I wouldn't have watched it twice (clean and later an English subbed version). I do want to buy the DVD because there's so much potential and I appreciate that they tried to condense the Sanctuary arc into a movie.

Anyway, thanks for telling me about Kuramada approving the female Milo, I'm going to try and find the clip or article about it. Hopefully there's an English translation.:misty:

Shunhades

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »
Interesting, you've pointed out some things I didn't know about @Shunhades. But here I go:Where? I can see he's got some black undershirt on, but it looks no different than his "training clothes" that he typically wears under his cloth in the manga/anime. So not really casual clothing. And yes, which is why I also said compared to the shirtless-Shiryu-joke here in the fandom, the movie had Shiryu keep his clothes. And I also did not miss Shiryu explaining why he had his cloth on.
I watched it again, it's so easy to miss because everything was happening so fast in the movie. Like Tetsu Aero and Seiya also mentioned, maybe it wasn't the training coliseum. There's a lot of stuff in ruins but upon closer inspection it does seem like it. But if they intended it to be, the movie should've shown the coliseum more clearly to make it obvious to the fans if the few of us here didn't really identify it. And I did know about the village that the Pope visits, like Testu Aero said, it's outside of Sanctuary. But who knows, maybe that's part of the movie's Sanctuary.

That's great, I've never heard about Lemurian Seed Stones.
I didn't have any problem with temples being different. I think you've misunderstood me. My point in my review about Mu's temple was that it looked like how it's supposed to as Aries Temple (Pillars, whitewashed walls etc) while for some reason they inserted color strobe lights and turned the masks into bad singers all over the pillars/walls of Cancer Temple. I have read the manga and watched the anime, I KNOW that the temple designs reflect their Gold Saint.

When I like a movie or show, I usually will look up interviews or behind-the-scenes clips. I only visited the official Japanese Saint Seiya Legend of Sanctuary website for the trailers. I don't understand Japanese so I didn't bother looking up any interviews about the crew/movie because most of the time, there's no English subs. And for that matter, I still don't care for them changing Milo into a woman. I was also being rhetorical about the questions I brought up about female Milo because I was just venting. Even if I found out what they're inside joke was, what would finding out the reason make me change my feelings about what they did to Milo in this movie? I was going into my review as an old fan who watched this new movie. I don't need to research production interviews before I can share my opinion on what they portrayed in the movie. I took this movie at face value without looking up production notes because I don't need them to be able to watch a SS movie, but because I am a long time fan of the manga and anime, I of course compared it to that. Anyway, I still hated the change they made. And like Seiya mentioned, they could make changes to some extent but not a whole new character. Especially a major character. :milo:

For example, I totally get why this movie would reinvent Saori/Athena to be this nice little girl who healed Seiya. If they had gone the classic route and featured younger Saori as the little spoiled brat, it might seem like a total 180 on her personality when she became nice to the Saints since this movie is only about 90 minutes. They simply wouldn't have time to develop a plot to have her character start behaving maturely and politely.

Another thing I noticed that I didn't mind so I didn't bring it up in my review was that the movie aged up Saori. Since Seiya and Shun were supposed to be the same age as Saori in the manga/anime of around 13 years old, I'm assuming they also meant for Seiya and Shun to be older. I'm glad they chose 16 years old instead. It makes more sense appearance-wise because Seiya and Saori always did seem older than 13.

As for Shaka's hair, you meant blonde right?  :shaka: And that's all you can tell is that it's long and blonde. I wanted to see what his bangs looked like and the whole top of his head. Although I didn't get to see him helmet-less, I mostly still liked his character portrayal in this movie.What do you mean no one? I think you're generalizing a bit so I won't take you literally but if the point of this movie is to NOT even resemble their counterparts, then this movie is just some alternate storyline. Character-wise, I do think they've captured almost everyone's essential personality. Except Deathmask, he was like a completely different character. At least female Milo was still serious, loyal and badass like how Milo is in the manga/anime.

I think you misunderstood what I said about Kiki, I'm HAPPY they didn't include him due to story pacing. Because I know that he's a supporting character and therefore not necessary to the plot. So I wasn't saying that due to animation not being able to create cute kids that it is the sole reason that he wasn't in the movie but that I was ADDING it as another good reason not to include Kiki.

What I was expecting from this movie was a CGI take on the Sanctuary arc. But the major changes in this movie, which were the things I felt worth discussing and made the experience painful, took away from this movie rather than enhance the story because those changes were so ridiculous.

The changes I had a major problem with: 1) Aphrodite's death scene 2) Deathmask's concert 3) Saga's "2nd form" 4) Seiya's centaur hooves. None of these are in a particular order either. I can actually live with having a female Milo.

In fact, I don't even understand who their target audience was. Was it really for a younger audience? Shouldn't they be appealing to an older audience when it comes to Saint Seiya, a battle anime based on Greek mythology? If they even wanted to appeal and bring in a new generation to the fanbase, I can't imagine they did successfully because the last half of this movie was so rushed and a hot mess. But you've already mentioned the younger audience preferred the classic. I think TOEI should've kept the fans in mind. The old fans are already a good place to start with in terms of marketing because we would be willing to pay money for a SS movie. All the other changes they made besides the 4 I listed I could tolerate.

But I do believe if they hadn't made those 4 changes, none of which I think would be appealing to a "younger audience" anyway, this movie could've garnered fresh new fans that way by spending less time on singing masks and Saga's 2nd form and rework that screen time (and budget perhaps) back into Aphrodite's fight scene. I think old and any "new" fans could've done without that horrifying Sagittarius hoof prancing anyday. And voila!

Frankly, I did enjoy most of this movie for what it was. Otherwise I wouldn't have watched it twice (clean and later an English subbed version). I do want to buy the DVD because there's so much potential and I appreciate that they tried to condense the Sanctuary arc into a movie.

Anyway, thanks for telling me about Kuramada approving the female Milo, I'm going to try and find the clip or article about it. Hopefully there's an English translation.:misty:

He's actually wearing a jacket, a shirt and some pants. Here's a picture. Though i'll admit, it's not a very good picture of what he's wearing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7e/13/ec/7e13ecd85cc44e0e7a7ec66c2cd46a6f.jpg

I was trying to find a better photo, but amazingly I couldn't find one. I do know if you look in the scans of the new cloth chronicles. You can see that same picture, but it'll show his pants (I think they are blue jeans. I could be wrong, they are kinda blueish though). xD Though I am willing to be Tatsumi is sick of him ripping his shirts all the time. LOL. It's like "Why do we even bother to buy him shirts? He's just gonna rip them."

I'm pretty sure it is the training colliseum. We have to remember they redesigned a lot of things. To me it just looked more like the one Saori has in classic in Japan. And they just kind of moved it to the Sanctuary. But I agree they should of made it more identifiable. The movie made the city in sanctuary about 1000 x bigger than what it really is. But then everything was bigger in the movie. ((I would hope I was not the one to have to be the one to clean the temples))

Tetsu Aero also agreed they have a city. Though yes it is mostly in ruins. So he just reinforced what I said.

Lemurian Seed Stones are a type of quartz. I thought it was nice of them to add them....even if they were blinding...X.x I hope Mu doesn't have any of those in his bedroom. I can't see him being able to sleep at night. Though it would make one heck of a night light LOL.

I probably did. But it's the internet. And people probably thought I was being aggressive in my comments when I wasn't. I've said this before, but you can't tell a person's tone on the web. And when I read yours, I just went with the assumption you were sitting there calmly, possibly drinking something or eating a snack. Why? Cause I can't assume you were upset just cause you were giving a review. Though people didn't seem to consider that with mine >.> *looks at other people and facepalms*

Yeah I don't get the strobe lights......I'm going with someone may of ate too much candy or something for that one. Or got waaayyyy to intune with the Johnny Depp random.

I personally thought the change was funny, but that's me. And I knew about the joke prior to seeing the movie. But if that's how you feel, it's how you feel, no biggie. But I felt I should elaborate on it because I honestly did not feel you knew about it. Or the fact they got permission and didn't simply do the change.

Kind of like how in the interview of the main voice actors (Saori, Seiya, Shiryu, Hyoga, Shun). Seiya's voice actor was all ".....Why are you dressed like a sailor scout?" to Saori's voice actor. xD Because she came to the interview dressed as one. And it threw him off. Even so they laughed about it. And she was sitting there like a badass cause she was dressed up as a Sailor Scout. xD And let's face it. She was. LOL.

Yeah I agreed about Kiki not being in it. For different reasons.

I agree, though during the scene when she was healing Seiya's hand. I'll admit I was going "NO! NO! RUN SEIYA! RUN!!" =p Because I was joking in my head that she was going to wack him instead of heal his hand.

And Yes. They raised all their ages. Though I don't know if they raised the Gold Saints ages or not. They might be the same ages as in classic. But the 6 main (Saori, Seiya, Shun, Hyoga, Shiryu, Ikki), they raised them.....And I guess they made Tatsumi younger...but I don't know about that one. =/ I still find it weird they gave him hair.

I was talking about LOS Shaka. Not classic Shaka. His hair in LOS is ginger/red. I think you misunderstood me there.

It is also why I did not comment on everything that you stated. Because as I said it was a matter of opinion.

I hated how Aphrodite just died like that. I feel if they had time to make Deathmask sing and dance. They could of atleast given him a small fight scene against Saga before he died. >.< Honestly. I'm sure he'd of gotten a few attacks in before Saga killed him. Not a cheap shot like that. What a crappy way to go. I know what Hyoga was thinking during that "Concert." >.< I want my money back. I did the same thing Hyoga did after he was done. Though I think Hyoga was embarrassed for him. I'm not sure what was up with the hooves........I mean obviously Saori wasn't riding on his back.....Yeah....I don't know what was up with that. Still thinking on it. I'm still at "Why did they do that?"

Their target audience was the younger generation. They were trying to make it more appealing to them. Which as I said didn't really work out. Not as many liked it as more were like "meh." with it. And saw it for what it really is. Eye candy.

I think what would of made this film better would of been if they planned it better in terms of plot. As it feels very rushed in more than half of it. Perhaps they would of done better if it had been 120 minutes instead of 90 minutes. It would of given them more to work with in the least. But that's all about money and budgetting.

When these companies make movies, they don't make them to direct them at the current audience. They make them to direct them at the younger audiences. Just like the Gatchaman Movie (which they also could of done better with making it), or the Kuroshitsuji movie (I could rant a book with just the beginning part alone...and I have. >.>).

I guess my point is. When it comes to live action movies or CGI movies based on animes/mangas. You're more likely to be disappointed with it even if you enjoyed it. Which is was my point.

I hope I got everything cause, I had to keep scrolling to reread, and I kept losing my place. If I didn't sorry about that.

Actually that was Rodorio the pope was walking around in, the village outside of Sanctuary.
But still, there is a kind of city in Sanctuary, albeit many of the buildings are ruins.

Which is still part of the Sanctuary. Thanks for reinforcing what I said.
1. Maybe that was not the Colosseum, who can really say it was ?...we can't tell, there was really nothing Greek overall anyway. -_-
Also Sanctuary is PART of Athens.

2. I have to agree on that but at least she tried.

3. Yeah... it's hilarious, everytime I think about it...makes me want to cry. -_-

4. If it was made for new audience then they SHOULD not have random stuff here and there, give explanations so the NEW audience understands what the heck is going on. Critics have said if you don't know the Saint Seiya series, you will not understand a thing. Other Critics that didn't know the series have said pretty much the same thing. " Very cool effects but I have no idea what I've just watched".

5. See no4...oh you meant the younger audience? so what was this movie for 1-3 year old? Because my little cousin is 4 and he said that it was lame and had a bunch of random things what didn't stick together and if a 4 year old boy says that then something is really wrong here. Kids are not stupid.

6. SOME EXTEND NOT A WHOLE NEW CHARACTER especially Seiya, Shiryu and Shun were NOT even close to their characters. -.-
She has done a very well.

1. Athens and Sanctuary are side by side. What I meant, was that people who didn't know about it wouldn't know it was there. Thus why it's not a part of Athens.

2. Yeap, she did. Not saying she didn't.

3. Have a tissue. And try not to laugh too hard.

4. I never said that Toei was smart in this. They literally made it to try to draw in a new, and younger audience. Toei would not be the first company to do that. It's common knowledge. Just like the Gatchaman live action movie. If you've never watched the classic Gatchaman series, you will not understand what's going on in the live action. Or in Crowds.

5. DUUHHH!! Why do you think I said, Toei FAILED, because a lot of the younger audience didn't find it as appealing as they did the classic series. You're just proving what I said with your 4 year old cousin.

6. Seiya was purposefully changed, as I stated, and as Kurumada personally stated, as the staff personally stated. Shiryu has some things about himself that's normal for him (not just him taking off his cloth and going shirtless....seriously? Why do they bother buying him shirts?). I meant how he keeps himself aware of whats going on. In the movie they made him more silly about it (I will never NOT laugh about the damn sparkle comment. LOL), Shun retained his calm demenor, and the fact that he's more logical than he lets on. Though they threw in the fact he likes to sleep and made him a pillow hog was kind of random. But hey, that's Shun. Sleeping whenever he can sleep.

I'm not saying all the changes to their characters were good. I am saying, they weren't so changed that you couldn't tell who they were.

Seiya has his silly moments in classic. Just not nearly as much as they portrayed in LOS.

I mean come on. Mu would never have been so forward by grabbing Saori's vest to pull it down in classic. In fact, he's never touched her, even when she got shot with an arrow. ((Yes i'm aware he couldn't of moved her in the first place cause when someone has a wound like that you're not supposed to move them)). He won't even touch her hand in classic. But in LOS, he was more forward. Mu was still Mu for the most part....except the glasses....I'm still trying to figure out why Mu would have a need to wear glasses. I guess they were just trying to keep with his scholarly demeanor by putting glasses on him.

To me he still looked cute with them. Even if they were out of place.
Saint Seiya Fan for over 20 years

IrrelevantMaverick

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • accio Aiolos!
    • View Profile
    • moi
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 01:11:02 AM »
He's actually wearing a jacket, a shirt and some pants. Here's a picture. Though i'll admit, it's not a very good picture of what he's wearing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7e/13/ec/7e13ecd85cc44e0e7a7ec66c2cd46a6f.jpg

And when I read yours, I just went with the assumption you were sitting there calmly, possibly drinking something or eating a snack. Why? Cause I can't assume you were upset just cause you were giving a review.
Ooh, Shiryu looks hawt! Thanks for sharing the pic. I forgot that Shaka's hair was ginger in this movie. I guess I'm color blind when it comes to seeing a hottieXD

Lol I actually was just chilling and snacking when I made my review :shun:

SageofTime

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 04:45:07 PM »

What was the joke is to why Milo is a women in this movie?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:34:14 AM by SageofTime »

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:01:37 PM »
I want to know about the joke as well.

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »
Well, Milo being a woman was not something I liked. Not at all (even if she's beautiful). Though that's not the major problem with the movie.
The story could have been better, and Aphrodite is totally useless !!! ... I like the battle between Shun and Aphrodite so I was kind of upset when Aphrodite was killed by Saga.

And I agree about big boss Saga, the first thing I thought was "oh Sephiroth !!" and I even had Sephiroth's theme song running in my head when I watched the movie.

The movie is beautiful, I like the graphics and I like the way Shun is protective with Saori.
Seiya is... well kind of cute, and Saori too. IMO, they are the best characters in this movie.
Shaka is cool, I mean he UNDERSTOOD that there was something wrong ! Even before he met Saori ! (Milo and Shura didn't) and Aiolia was released from Saga's illusion thanks to Shaka.
Camus is nice too... but his fight with Hyoga seems so meaningless.

And the worst by far (for me) is Death Mask.... WTF happened to him !!! Once more I'm almost (almost only, thank goodness there's Manigoldo and Sage) ashamed to be a Cancer ! I wanted to cry when I watched this scene ! (I'm exagerating of course, but I didn't like it)

On the whole, it's more a eye-candy movie for the bronze fans than anything else. As for the plot, if you don't know the original story, you get confused easily (that's what happened to my best friend's nephew).
:seiya: " Allô Shiryu, c'est toi ?"
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »

1.Seiya is... well kind of cute, and Saori too. IMO, they are the best characters in this movie.

2.Shaka is cool, I mean he UNDERSTOOD that there was something wrong !

1. Ugh no way, they were both very annoying...but Hyoga, Shun and Ikki were pretty cool (can's stand Shiryu's dorkiness, Seiya being a goofball and Saori's moe voice).

2. Lol in comparison with the original Shaka being totally clueless it was a nice change I guess.

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 11:08:22 AM »
1. Ugh no way, they were both very annoying...but Hyoga, Shun and Ikki were pretty cool (can's stand Shiryu's dorkiness, Seiya being a goofball and Saori's moe voice).

Haha, I guess they can be. I agree for Hyoga (very cool entrance with his Diamond Dust at the beginning of the movie), Shun and Ikki !

2. Lol in comparison with the original Shaka being totally clueless it was a nice change I guess.

Oooh yes, that's a really nice change (I mean, how the hell didn't he EVER notice that Saga had also an evil personality ?! At least, even if Saga did hide it very well, he should have faintly felt it once).
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 11:17:16 AM »

Oooh yes, that's a really nice change (I mean, how the hell didn't he EVER notice that Saga had also an evil personality ?! At least, even if Saga did hide it very well, he should have faintly felt it once).

For a man that is considered to have a great insight, he wasn't doing a good job since he thought that the Pope was still Shion.

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 12:38:39 PM »
Maybe Kurumada wanted to show Shaka fighting so he had to find an excuse for that. After all, Shaka tells Ikki that he felt the Pope was on the side of justice, which means he didn't notice Saga had a double personality.

For a man that is considered to have a great insight, he wasn't doing a good job since he thought that the Pope was still Shion.

Well... I wonder if he met the Pope before... he probably only met him once (when he became a Gold Saint) so he couldn't tell if it was the same man after that (with the mask and all that). Only Mû knew Shion well enough.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »
1.Maybe Kurumada wanted to show Shaka fighting so he had to find an excuse for that. After all, Shaka tells Ikki that he felt the Pope was on the side of justice, which means he didn't notice Saga had a double personality.

2.Well... I wonder if he met the Pope before... he probably only met him once (when he became a Gold Saint) so he couldn't tell if it was the same man after that (with the mask and all that). Only Mû knew Shion well enough.

1. He didn't even notice that the Pope wasn't the same that's the problem, whether he was on the side of Justice or not doesn't really matter.

2. But he knew Saga wasn't that enough? and the fact that Mu and Dohko opposed him should make the rest of the Gold Saints thinking of the possibility not being the same person.