Author Topic: New Pokemon Games  (Read 6210 times)

WotaYagi

• Silver Saint
  • 「これは運命だから」
    • View Profile
Re: New Pokemon Games
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 03:21:48 AM »
Yeah, I couldn't exactly see the necessity of adding the Fairy type myself, but I'm pretty much indifferent to the fact that it exists, although I feel like it should've been called something like 'Magic'... but yeah the whole Dark/Ghost with no weaknesses thing was pretty annoying, it made Pokemon like Sableye and Spiritomb have no weaknesses.

That reminds me though of the time back before Black and White came out there were these demos (for Black and White) and some people were distributing these hacked Spiritombs that had the ability Wonder Guard, which practically made them invinsible, of course that invinsibility would only last until they ran out of PP.
You can just call me Yagi.

[insert better signature here]

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 05:56:48 AM »
I can't say that I found it annoying that Sableye and Spiritomb had no weakness. They weren't that hard to beat at all. If you ask me they needed that. Now they are actually...useless just any low average Pokemon there is.

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2014, 06:29:21 AM »
The Fairy type was not needed...Dragon types already have it tough with Ice, Dragon weakness...and honestly more than half of the Pokemon know Ice Beam or Ice Punch...sorry but I am one of those that don't like the Fairy type. Of course the combination of Dragon/Water will only crit if you have a Dragon type move against it so what?
Dark/Ghost had no weakness whatsoever so I am assuming they want to top that which if you ask me is stupid.
Tho thanks to that more Trainers will use Poison type moves as before Poison wasn't that popular.

My thoughts on fairy type exactly. Plus, they changed some of the older pokemons to fairy type when they don't really have the moves to even make good use of the STAB. Then there's hydreigon...
finally I thought we would have a pseudo legendary dragon without 4x weakness, then fairy appeared.  :-.-:

In that list of images that you put there some of those are some of the ones that I dislike the most. Some are okay, such as Mega Venusaur, Banette, Ampharos, Houndoom, Absol (kinda) and Mawile (kinda) and now Sceptile. Some look ridiculous or just plain horrible (such as Mega Manectric, Mewtwo (both, but especially Y), Charizard (especially X, Y I don't mind so much), Gyarados, Gengar, now joined by Swampert), and then as much as I dislike Mega Evolution, there are a few Pokemon who I'd like to see have a Mega Evolution (primarily Luxray).

Ahh, seems like your taste in pokemon design is quite different from mine. ;D (if I irritated you with my choices in the last post, I'm very sorry xD)
Now I'm intrigue, what's your favourite pokemon design? (not mega though, I mean pokemon in general)

The main reason as to why I don't like the idea of Mega Evolution is because I feel like they just make some Pokemon way too overpowered compared to others.

I also don't like the Mega Evolution..sure it powers up the ones that are weak, but those who are actually quite beastly don't need it. I do agree that legendary shouldn't have the ability to evolve...they are frigging legendaries, they don't need to evolve. Should be perfect the way they are.

Yes, that is very true. Giving mega evolution to already very powerful pokemon is a bit too much. I do find it nice though that at least some of the choices were clearly about picking some of the fan favourite pokemons that weren't so strong and give them a buff.

Errr... when it comes to these things I tend to look at them from the design perspective so bear with me, and sorry if I do ramble on for a bit but here's my thought on Mega Evolution:

Whenever a new Gen of Pokemon game is announced there're always controversial on what Game Freak did to pokemons of the previous generations, be it giving them a new evolution, change stats, move-set etc. They could have just focus on the new ones, but it is important that they keep those from the previous Gens in the play to keep them from being forgotten (for a number of reasons). And there is that problem of the library keeping on growing and growing (over 700 now!).

Since people tend to be sensitive to these changes, especially if pokemons from the first and second Gen are on the receiving end. As well as the fact that the developer do made some awful choices, some of which is inexcusable (Let's make a food pokemon that looks delicious!). I think this is where Mega Evolution become the most useful. It allows the developer to do things to those pokemon without the fans raging. The reason is because of the mechanic. Pokemons with Mega treatment don't evolve/change permanently and no matter how many Megas the player have, they can only use one in a battle (and this helps to keep things balanced). This mean that those who don't like a particular Mega but like the pokemon itself isn't forced to use them. In previous Gens, for a pokemon to be most useful for fighting they need to be fully evolved, but not in this case, since you can only use one mega. For example, I love Blaziken as it's my first pokemon but I hate its Mega design. Let's say I have the normal one without speed boost. If I want to make it stronger do I need to Mega evolve? Well yeah, but if I do it's only temporary appearance, temporary stat changes, ability etc. if I don't then I could easily throw  the mega role at another pokemon that I like the mega better.

So for the developers, instead of having to make sure that all those pokemon tweaking have to please everyone, as long as a player like using one of them then it doesn't matter if another pokemon on the team with mega doesn't please them. This way the developer can just try their best and don't have to pander to please everyone. This has allowed them to do stuff they couldn't before as well. Like giving Charizard it's rightfully deserved dragon type with no one complaining that they can't use flying Charizard anymore; doing the parent-child relationship with Kangashkan for interesting battling tactics, or giving Ampharos the dragon type so it could live up to it's name Denryuu.

I'm not trying to persuade you guys or anything, just putting out my thoughts. Well... if it's unwelcome then let me know xD

PS. Seiya I know you said you said you're done with it but I'm confused. Why does Alpha Sapphire and Omega Sapphire sound intuitively correct?
Also trivia, I mentioned Delta Emerald because whether they are going to make that version or not they did file a trademark for it: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/29/nintendo-file-delta-emerald-trademark-japan-yep-sounds-like-pokemon/

WotaYagi

• Silver Saint
  • 「これは運命だから」
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2014, 06:55:17 AM »
Ahh, seems like your taste in pokemon design is quite different from mine. ;D (if I irritated you with my choices in the last post, I'm very sorry xD)
Now I'm intrigue, what's your favourite pokemon design? (not mega though, I mean pokemon in general)

You didn't irritate me at all. :)
I don't have a particular favourite Pokémkn (there's probably 150+ that I consider to be favourites of mine), or design type in general, there's just some I like and then some I don't like. This is usually because of a combination of the type(s) and appearance of whichever Pokémon is in question at the time.

Your reasoning about the Mega Evolution was very nice to read, by the way. I can see where your coming from and what your standpoint is, but I guess the whole idea that Mega Evolutions don't necessarily have to be used is the best part about them, seeing as there's people such as Seiya and myself who don't like them.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2014, 02:18:24 PM »
And another thing, as far as the generations go..they just get weirder and weirder.  It's a shame that Satoshi and Ken stopped designing at Gold & Silver..now they both just directing others...but as much as I want to believe that the designers do as they told I will say that they don't because honestly the "newer" designs don't bare their signature. If you ask me fifth and sixth generation are the worst generations. In sixth generation we got tons of Dragons that they don't even look like Dragons...
I don't have anything with Game Freak,it's just the games and Pokemon designs as well as types are getting a bit..ridiculous.

Things just turning in a different direction after fourth generation...

WotaYagi

• Silver Saint
  • 「これは運命だから」
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014, 04:10:27 PM »
I noticed that as well, although I didn't know that Satoshi and Ken had stopped designing Pokémon (and so long ago at that). Yeah, I agree with you, in regards to the actual Pokémon, the fifth and sixth generations are the worst. Although, I feel like things started getting a little dodgy in the fourth generation... some of those Pokémon are a little odd too, not all, just a small handful of them. And you're right about some type combinations getting really weird and dragons that don't even look like dragons. As I read that I immediately thought of Dragalge and Noivern or whatever they're called.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 07:35:24 AM »
Yes they have stopped a long time ago. Surely Ken does the final drawing but it's all according to the other desingers ideas. 4th generation might be a littlr dodgy but still looks much much better than the following gens and the story was better as well in my opinion.. 5th's story was way out of hand, it was ridiculous. Honestly worst desings so far for me are the garbage, ice cream, the legendaries of 6th (all of them, first time I have never liked a single legendary and a few others that I will not mention just yet.

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 07:46:45 AM »
Really? IMO Every Gen has its own set of great and awful Pokemon designs including the 1st and 2nd. Among this the gens which have the largest percentage of awful pokemon designs for me by far is 4th and 5th, especially 5th. On the other hand Gen 6 has recover from that gave us lots of great designs. Personally I think it has the best pokemon designs by far, there are barely any bad ones.

@Seiya, I'm surprise you don't like Xerneas and Yveltal designs, from what I saw their receptions are massively positive.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 01:07:47 PM »
Yeah, sorry I can't like any of them.. They are too plain if you ask me and I actually liked at first Yveltal but something bothered me on him and I started to hate him as well. Also 6th lacks of a trio which was a nice thing in the past while 5th had 2 trios( I am talking about the lower stat ones not the bakemono in power lol). I still like 4th more than 5th and 6th and like I said the story was better too if not my favorite along with 3rd gen.. 1st and 2nd didn't have anything special story wise but Pokemon's design make up for all of it.. and their remakes covered everything up with the new content never seen before.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:54:24 PM by Seiya »

WotaYagi

• Silver Saint
  • 「これは運命だから」
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2014, 01:56:25 PM »
A few months back some people hacked their X and Y and found these three mysterious Pokémon encoded in the games, one of which was Diancie... I think the name of another one was Hoopla or something like that but I can't remember the other one at all. At first I really liked the design of Xerneas, and hated Yveltal, but now it's almost the other way around... I like Yveltal a lot more than I used to and Xerneas a lot less than I did.

With the fourth gen, there aren't many Pokémon that I don't like, but for some reason I really don't like the Sinnoh region itself... fifth gen was insane with the amount of Pokémon that it added, which always meant there would be a whole lot of bad designs and a whole lot of legendaries... sixth gen I don't particularly mind but there's a lot of Pokémon where I am either really indifferent to their existence or I just really hate them. Of course every gen is going to have designs considered to be bad by the fans, but who likes what is all a matter of personal preference.

I think the thing that annoyed me the most about the sixth gen was the fact that your rival was one of the nicest people that you know in game. I'm not sure what it's like if you play as a guy (I'd assume it's pretty much the same as playing as a girl), but everytime that Calem dude would approach me he'd be all like "hey neighbour" or something like that... Shauna was purely annoying and the other two dudes, they were alright, I guess. Speaking of rivals, if they've significantly changed Brendan/May and Wally in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire I will be incredibly annoyed.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2014, 11:29:07 PM »
Personally I only like 2 designs from the 6th gen and this might come to a surprise...... Noivern is one,, not counting that it's a Dragon type I have to say he has a nice design and the othet one should be Greninja. Now I understand that you might not like them.
So there 2 more species that are unknown....I bet they will be event only.

WotaYagi

• Silver Saint
  • 「これは運命だから」
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2014, 11:54:26 PM »
Hmmm, I don't particularly like Noivern's design much (I absolutely hated it at first until I saw it in-game), although there are others that I find worse. I don't mind Greninja at all... Shiny Greninjas are even cooler.

I think Diancie might be event only (maybe, not 100% sure) and in more recent gens there's been a 'trio' of event-exclusive legendaries, for fourth gen it was Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus, and for fifth gen it was Meloetta, Keldeo and Genesect, I'm pretty sure. So it wouldn't surprise me if Diancie and the other two (which would be Pokedex numbers #719, #720 and #721) are all event-exclusives.

Nintendo has been talking about Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire at E3 already... apparently there was a trailer and as a result a lot of people are going nuts over it. I've seen some stuff about it, Maxie and Archie look like they've got proper characterisation this time, and the comparison pics I saw looked absolutely amazing. If I can find the stuff I'll post it. (Unless of course somebody posts it before me)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2014, 01:24:05 AM »
Did you forget the most unusual legendary of all? Manaphy who has the ability to breed despite being legendary and its offspring Phione which oddly enough you can't breed as the egg hatches to Manaphy instead.

WotaYagi

• Silver Saint
  • 「これは運命だから」
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2014, 01:59:08 AM »
You can't breed for Manaphy offspring... eggs produced from Manaphy and Ditto hatch into Phione, and eggs produced from Phione and Ditto hatch into Phione (unless they changed something?). Rotom can breed with Ditto as well, and because of that all three of these Pokemons' legendary status is almost constantly in question.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2014, 04:01:51 AM »
You can't breed for Manaphy offspring... eggs produced from Manaphy and Ditto hatch into Phione, and eggs produced from Phione and Ditto hatch into Phione (unless they changed something?). Rotom can breed with Ditto as well, and because of that all three of these Pokemons' legendary status is almost constantly in question.

Oh wow did I type that? I am on the phone so it is pretty hard for me sometimes, I meant that Manaphy can breed Phione but the Phione can nevet evolve into Manaphy. Hope this time is better.. As for Rotom...it is not considered as a legendary Pokemon despite having the same music with the legendary when you encounter it.