Author Topic: Marina del ray: How Do Feel About This Kuruamda-related Group?  (Read 2535 times)

LordGeo

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
For the past 10 years, starting with the first season of the Ring ni Kakero 1 anime, nearly every single Masami Kurumada anime has featured music by Marina del ray, a group that's very hard to find a lot of info on. Anyway, here's a line-up of the songs they have done (with links, in case you haven't heard of any of them):
"Asu he no Toushi" (Opening Theme for Ring ni Kakero 1; 2004, 2006, 2010, & 2011)
"Megami no Senshi ~Pegasus Forever~" (Opening Theme for Saint Seiya Hades Inferno & Elysion; 2005-2008)
"Shining Like Gold ~Omoide no Kakera~" (Ending Theme for Ring ni Kakero 1: Nichibei Kessen-hen; 2006)
"Strike Anywhere ~Chikai no Toki~" (Insert Song for Ring ni Kakero 1: Nichibei Kessen-hen; 2006) [Unfortunately, there are no videos online of this song]
"Nageki no Kabe" (Image Song for Saint Seiya Hades Special Album; 2008)
"Greatest Eclipse" (Image Song for Saint Seiya Hades Special Album; 2008)
"8th Sense" (Image Song for Saint Seiya Hades Special Album; 2008)
"Hana no Kusari" [Back-up for Maki Ikuno] (Ending Theme for Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas; 2009-2011)
"Asu he no Hishou ~flap your wings~" (Ending Theme for Ring ni Kakero 1: Shadow; 2010)
"rough and ready ~Kobushi yo Sora Kakero~" (Song Used in Ring ni Kakero 1 pachislot machines; 2010-2012)
"Niji no Kanata" (Ending Theme for Ring ni Kakero 1: Sekai Taikai-hen; 2011)
"Chikai no Ashita" [Song Used in CR Pachinko B't X; 2013)

Kurumada also revealed that he music relating to Fuma no Kojirou was being made earlier this year, which will likely be performed by Marina del ray, too. The only exceptions in terms of Kurumada anime to not feature Marina del ray so far have been Saint Seiya Omega TV series & the upcoming Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary movie. So, I'm curious, do you guys have any opinion of this band? Do you like their songs, or do you feel that Kurumada might be relying on them too much for anime adaptations of his work? If you do like Marina del ray's music, do you have a favorite? Personally, my favorite is definitely "Niji no Kanata", though having found out about the Seiya Hades Special Album recently I've grown quite fond of "Greatest Eclipse", too. In general, though, I really like this band's work in general ("Nageki no Kabe" is a bit too happy sounding for a song named after the Wall of Lamentation/Wailing Wall, though), so I'm fine with them doing music for Kurumada, especially if the man himself is writing the lyrics.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
Re: Marina del ray: How Do Feel About This Kuruamda-related Group?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 01:40:08 AM »
I like them too, at one point i thought he used them too much but then he proved me wrong with the LC theme.

My favourite would be.... i dunno, megami senshi have always stuck, but asu he no hisho and nishi no kanata are also good.

Oh btw there's more songs on the kurumada ism cd :)

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

LordGeo

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:43:26 AM »
Oh btw there's more songs on the kurumada ism cd :)

Yeah, I know about Kurumada-ism, but that's simply songs written by Kurumada himself, of which there are a lot. Marina del ray has seemingly become the de facto band that performs his songs, though; the second Kurumada CD from last year was almost nothing but Marina del ray, for example (except for the Hades Infero & Elysion endings). In comparison, Kurumada-ism had only one song from the group, Asu he no Toushi, with the rest being done by Make-Up, Hironobu Kageyama, Masaaki Endoh, Hidemi Miura, Sayuri Setoguchi, & seiyuu from B't X & Ring ni Kakero 1.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 09:35:03 AM »
Ah you were right, i had to me there were more :)

Well, maybe not de facto, more like something that are almost always there. Almost de facto? XD

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 01:34:26 PM »
I really don't care who sings and what if I like the song then that's that.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 07:14:58 PM »
They're pretty good, but I feel like the vocals in many of their songs would mesh better with harder instrumentals.  I am liking Rough and Ready, though; I get a good JAM Project vibe from that song.

Ritsuka

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 01:13:10 AM »
Shining like Gold is one of their best songs together with Megami no Senshi.

Dynamixx

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Ball Kai CZ
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »
I don't like this Japanese uptempo at all. I liked the old rock songs in anime. Japanese music doesn't go well in my years.
I would go so far and say that it is horrible.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »
Man, that "Shining like gold" song was just what I needed after today.  Glad I stumbled across this thread again.

EDIT:  I found a video for Strike Anywhere ~Chikai no Toki~: https://vimeo.com/59554201  However, it sounds like there's someone talking in the background of it; I don't know if that's supposed to be part of the song.