Author Topic: Otoko Zaka revival  (Read 4068 times)

LordGeo

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Otoko Zaka revival
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 05:27:39 PM »
If I'm understanding this news right, with help from Google Translate, it looks like the new Otoko Zaka manga, subtitled Kita no Daichi-hen/The Northern Land Chapter, will be running in Shueisha's Weekly Playboy magazine (not to be confused with the Japanese equivalent of Playboy, which was the now-defunct Monthly Playboy). Not too surprising, honestly, as continuations/sequels of old Jump manga have either run in Weekly Playboy or Super Jump (now Grand Jump) seemingly ever since the 90s.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 08:48:26 PM »
But wasn't he mad at Shueisha?  I guess cooler heads have prevailed.

LordGeo

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 05:41:52 PM »
But wasn't he mad at Shueisha?  I guess cooler heads have prevailed.

Ring ni Kakero 2 ran in Super Jump from 2000-2009. Also, he did the one-volume Akane Iro no Kaze in Super Jump back in 1995. Then there's the fact that Shueisha has made every Kurumada title they have the rights to, including their 8-volume re-release of B't X, digitally late last year/early this year.

It is true that Kurumada & Shueisha had a falling out, or at least Kurumada & Shonen Jump did, but cooler heads seemed to prevail fairly quickly.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 04:18:11 AM »
cooler heads seemed to prevail fairly quickly.

Or money talks... ;)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 05:06:17 AM »
It was definitely money....

LordGeo

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »
Or money talks... ;)

Not quite sure about that. Like I said, Kurumada came back to Shueisha in 1995 with Akane Iro no Kaze, which was only a one-volume deal. I doubt that there was much money to be made in that. I mean, sure money was most likely a factor, but it was probably also the fact that Kurumada showed he could be successful outside of Shueisha as well; there was no point in harboring any ill will after that, especially if it could get Shueisha some extra money.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 03:16:40 AM »
Not quite sure about that. Like I said, Kurumada came back to Shueisha in 1995 with Akane Iro no Kaze, which was only a one-volume deal. I doubt that there was much money to be made in that. I mean, sure money was most likely a factor, but it was probably also the fact that Kurumada showed he could be successful outside of Shueisha as well; there was no point in harboring any ill will after that, especially if it could get Shueisha some extra money.

Can't argue it both ways. It's about money but at the same time, it's not? Masami got a deal with enough money, he'll do it. Shueisha thinks it will make money, they'll do it... ;)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 05:14:34 AM »

Oh please give me one good reason why he changed publisher? it has to be the money...I mean he was with Shueisha for so damn long so he should be happy with the company. It's simple he got a better offer or if you ask me...he wanted more money and they wouldn't give him more so he left...simple as that. It's not something unexpected...he is a human after all he looks for the best offer etc etc.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 06:26:10 AM »
What was the original dispute about?

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

LordGeo

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 08:07:50 PM »
What was the original dispute about?

He was forced to cancel Saint Seiya during the Hades Chapter due to lowering readership, hence why the second half does come off a little rushed (especially the whole "going through the circles of Hell" part). Shueisha thought that Kurumada making a brand-new series that was like Seiya would go great with new readers, but when Silent Knight Sho didn't do so hot immediately they forced Kurumada to cancel that after two volumes. Kurumada obviously wasn't pleased with that, hence why he plastered "NEVER END" on the last two pages, and left Shueisha for Kadokawa Shoten for his next manga, B't X. I highly doubt it was all about money as some others would like to state, but rather a case of creative freedom that Kurumada obviously wasn't getting enough of with Jump after nearly 20 years. Really, I say Shueisha but it was more likely that Kurumada had problems with Shonen Jump's people than the company at large, hence why he came back shortly in 1995 but with Super Jump, which likely had different people in charge of that magazine.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »
Wasn't there some stuff to do with them trying to force him to start doing weekly deadlines, or did I just make that up?

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 09:46:37 PM »
During weekly, he did his work in advance... That wasn't the issue... For Jump, during that era, many popular mangas got cancelled *once* they felt readership was down or sales was not enough...

LordGeo

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 10:58:08 AM »
For those who are curious about how the new Otoko Zaka looks, the first chapter is fully available online legally over at Weekly Playboy's website. You can look at it either via Bookend, which needs Adobe Reader, or Cloud Publisher. Chapter 2 comes out tomorrow, so Kurumada looks to be keeping a weekly schedule for this short run.

Amusingly enough, it looks like Kurumada decided to start the new manga with Jingi still walking & getting extremely tired, likely as a joke towards the infamous "Incomplete" twin-page spread the the original manga was forced to end with, which showed Jingi running down a path.