Author Topic: Otoko Zaka revival  (Read 4077 times)

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
Otoko Zaka revival
« on: April 29, 2014, 02:20:38 PM »
The manga starts again in june,
It is Kurumada's 40th anniversary project, hopefully it won't interfere with ND too much.

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

LordGeo

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Otoko Zaka revival
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 06:48:10 PM »
Interesting to see this manga being revived all these decades after it was canceled in Shonen Jump. At the same time, though, Otoko Zaka was intended to be Kurumada's Magnum Opus: An outright homage to the work of his idol, Hiroshi Motomiya. I'm sure that even with the international success of Saint Seiya, the ability to properly finish B't X, & a return to both Ring ni Kakero & Saint Seiya, Kurumada has always wanted to come back to the title he put (supposedly) years of planning into, yet had to give it a non-ending that even featured the kanji for "incomplete" on the last page. I'd love to read Otoko Zaka, but it's unfortunately not available in English in any way or form.

Cadraire

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
I'd like to give it try, even raw. XD

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
The first hint pic was pretty obvious... ;)

Anyway, looks like ND and most Seiya projects are either filled with delay tactics or cash grabs... This is the type of franchise we have to live with now... : |

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 07:59:53 PM »
I'd love to read Otoko Zaka, but it's unfortunately not available in English in any way or form.

Then how are you so familiar with Ring ni Kakero?  Dedication?

The first hint pic was pretty obvious... ;)

Anyway, looks like ND and most Seiya projects are either filled with delay tactics or cash grabs... This is the type of franchise we have to live with now... : |

Perhaps he's been plotting to bring back Otoko Zaka all this time, and has just been using ND and everything else to milk StS for all it's worth while he plans for what he wants to work on?

LordGeo

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:15:19 PM »
Then how are you so familiar with Ring ni Kakero?  Dedication?

Pretty much. I really enjoyed watching the anime & wanted to know more about the manga, and when an eBay auction for the manga a few years ago had no bids I bit on that & bought it for a great price. I'm interested in checking out Kurumada's short/cancelled works, but I'd prefer an English translation if possible. Also, I doubt I can continually get great deals for raw volumes of a bunch of short titles; I managed to do that for Fuma no Kojirou as well, but that's really it. It was easier to buy the Seiya & B't X manga as they came out in English, though the wait for the last volume of B't X was annoying as hell.

Perhaps he's been plotting to bring back Otoko Zaka all this time, and has just been using ND and everything else to milk StS for all it's worth while he plans for what he wants to work on?

I think it's pretty obvious that Saint Seiya is something Kurumada enjoys doing, but it's definitely more of a title he does "for the fans" & because it gets him lots of money; there's no shame in doing that, especially since Seiya was technically unfinished, but what can you do? At the same time, though, Kurumada knows that he's been doing manga for 40 years due to more than just Seiya, so he obviously wants to celebrate this anniversary with more than just Seiya, if possible.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
I think it's pretty obvious that Saint Seiya is something Kurumada enjoys doing, but it's definitely more of a title he does "for the fans" & because it gets him lots of money; there's no shame in doing that, especially since Seiya was technically unfinished, but what can you do? At the same time, though, Kurumada knows that he's been doing manga for 40 years due to more than just Seiya, so he obviously wants to celebrate this anniversary with more than just Seiya, if possible.

Yer sure, he's free to do that and I'm free to hold back my money and not buy ND volumes... ;)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 10:30:59 PM »
I wonder if he is going to continue Silent Knight Shou at a point...not that I don't want him to finish ND tho...as for Ring ni Kakero, it's still his best work he has ever done because ND started to lose it's edge...a long time ago really.

Okay and now to the subject xD. It sounds interesting if everything goes well, I might start it one day but for now...not really sort of lost my trust on Masami.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »
I don't think he's planned to make it run for very long, maybe one or two volumes. And it looks like he will do it in the gaps between ND releases.

I still believe that it is Akita Shoten who has decided the release schedule for ND :p

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:49 AM »
Here's a new page on Kurumada's website
http://kurumadapro.com/special/otokozaka/

I have no clue what it says though...

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »
Apparently the manga will show what happened "after" the original manga...

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 11:44:14 PM »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-17/saint-seiya-kurumada-to-draw-8-more-chapters-of-otoko-zaka-manga

"The July issue of Akita Shoten's Champion RED magazine is revealing on Monday that manga creator Masami Kurumada's (Saint Seiya) planned Otoko-Zaka manga revival will run for eight chapters. These new chapters will later be compiled as the manga's fourth volume.

The series was last serialized 30 years ago in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine from 1984 to 1985. Kurumada plans to begin serialization in June after the Golden Week holidays."

Seems it's only one volume. Either that, or it's going to be like ND and be done in batches. But, the former seems more likely (unless Kuru's said otherwise).

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 11:55:10 PM »
Yeah well in my opinion he needs to drop everything and get back to Saint Seiya instead of trying to "revive" an insignificant series of his.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 01:36:44 AM »
Well eight chapters is like a ND batch, so two months and maybe then we'll have new ND chapters? :)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »
I do hope so Tetsu-san I do hope so.