Author Topic: Saint Seiya TV Series Blu-ray!!  (Read 26274 times)

NJ_

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Saint Seiya TV Series Blu-ray!!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 02:18:20 PM »
If done right then a Blu-ray upscale can look better than an upscaled DVD, due to the higher benefits it has of allowing up to 50 GBs of storage.

The problem is that for upscales, some companies (including Bandai Visual in the past) hire Q-Tec to do the work and they're awful because they're one of those companies who love to use DVNR to get rid of grain which most of the time causes loss of detail & other problems in the video.

Cowboy Bebop got remastered in HD and it looks gorgeous so why couldn't they have done the same to Saint Seiya?! :(

Most likely because Toei didn't take care of their TV masters and knowing the audio issues on their DVDs of other 80s shows (Fist Of The North Star & Dragon Ball Z for example), it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case here. The new BD sets of Galaxy Express 999 & Slam Dunk (released by Avex & Toei Video respectively) have also been upscaled by Q-Tec and judging by these screencaps of the former, they do not look too good so it might be best to wait for screencaps to see for ourselves if Saint Seiya's BDs are worth importing or not.

Seiya2013

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »
Back in 2010-2012 I watched Dragon Ball Kai (by Q-TEC) on Blu-ray and for the most part it was pretty enjoyable, they managed to keep the details intact while DNR'd but there were a lot of times it didn't give that HD-feeling due to how blurry/smooth the picture quality was.

Dragon Ball Kai might've been one of Q-TEC's best remasterisations when comparing to those ones which look god awful.

NJ_

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 02:41:19 PM »

Artwork by Character Designer Michi Himeno.

Box 1 Special Features:
Digital Archive(Concept Art, illustrations)

From Amazon Japan's description:

- Official illustrations
- Illustrations from the Saint Paradise game for the Gameboy (120 or more)
- Saint Cloth Series action figure line TV spots (all seven)
- Promotional poster
- Storyboards for episodes 1 and 37, all opening and ending sequences and the Asgard arc's eyecatch
- TV spot for the first episode
- Character and accessory sketches (750 or more)
- Background sketches (290 or more)
- Background art boards (50 or more)
- Script for episode 30
- Dubbing script for episode 38
- 24-page booklet (not sure whether it's really part of the disc or a physical booklet)

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 01:21:53 AM »
Holy moley!
Those are some delicious extras :3

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 05:53:43 AM »
Awesome!! XD

Seiya2013

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 06:22:01 AM »
Those extras are all pretty damn nice but still a shame that this is nothing more than an upscaled Blu-ray release. :-(

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 09:01:03 AM »
After reading about all these extras, I am glad I pre-ordered them. :D

Seiya2013

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »
After reading about all these extras, I am glad I pre-ordered them. :D

You're glad?

Sure the extras are all really cool but for me it comes down to the picture quality and to pay so much for it and end up with an upscaled DVD then no thanks.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
TV Series Blu-ray, Some sample extras!!
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 02:05:31 AM »
You're glad?

Sure the extras are all really cool but for me it comes down to the picture quality and to pay so much for it and end up with an upscaled DVD then no thanks.

Then don't get it...I am happy with my decision and that's that.

NJ_

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »
Packaging shot!

I guess Shun, Ikki & Athena will be in in Box 2's covers.

NJ_

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 06:12:05 AM »
Cover art for Box 2:

There doesn't seem to be any big extras here other than a booklet if Amazon's page is accurate.

Ritsuka

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 06:15:51 PM »
Looks like everyone was fooled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZkiurFEOKE

Even if the opening isn't at its full quality and resolution (you could see the distorted pixels, which certainly won't be in the final version), I don't think someone would be fool enough to make a bad advertising of a product in which you want to sell.
As someone who works with the classic series in a fan project translation (in which I want to make a surprise to everyone in this forum in some months), I know very well how the original DVD looks like, and it is full of grainy, something that was removed from this advertising of the BD box.
The video looks filtered, to probably remove the grainy, with an aspect of "washed" image and colors. Does it look better than the original DVDs? Maybe. Could it look better? YES, and I can prove you.
I don't think it will be different from this, since as people discussed here (I'm just a stalker XD), Toei already made a bad name by always doing upscales even with their most famous series, like DBZ. And everything seems just to take money from people because of the Kuru-sensei 40th anniversary career. Even the movie project looks cheap for me, because it was announced years and years ago, but everything indicates that this movie was made in some months this year.
Remember the old movie site where Seiya was wearing the classic V3 Cloth?
Toei conveniently awaited for the "coincidence" of Kurumada 40th anniversary career to lauch Saint Seiya Omega series, make the movie AND sell the BD box (the movie and the box in the same day =_=).
I'm not saying all of this is bad, because it revives the franchise, to the delight of us fans and Kurumada-sensei, BUT... as almost everything in life, there's always another intentions behind it.
Even being a fan and working hard with Hoj at bakabt to bring the classic series with the best EVER revisional work AND complete translation for all or almost 114 episodes of the series, I don't think this series deserve a true remaster, considering the cost involving this kind of process. The series is very poorly drawed and the quality is very uneven. Sometimes it makes my eyes bleed. XD Because of my work as a translation quality checker, I watched this series countless times to testify that. Plus, the fillers. Still, we all love to death this series.
It would be wiser to make something like Sailor Moon Crystal, and remake everything from scratch, like the Pachinko Slot animations. It would be lovely!  :lovey:
The only problem would be the Seiyuu cast, but still...

Backing to the subject, I still waiting for someone at Nyaa tracker to put a sample of an episode from the BD Box to confirm things. But as I said in the start, I think this Box will be a total fail bad-filtered upscale. A disrespect to the fans feelings and money.
It's a shame, because the new artwork covers made by Himeno and the artbooks that will come together will be truly beautiful.  :-.-:

But telling you what really matters: Hoj is someone at bakabt forums who for almost five years works with Saint Seiya subs. It will be almost 2 years that I joined his project, and I'm helping him with japanese translation quality check translation. We already released some incomplete translation packs at bakabt in which can be applied on the Zero-Absolu raws, however I wouldn't recommend anyone to download this, because we're reworking on everything and making a LOT of corrections AND... in the start of this year, Hoj got all the DVD raws of Saint Seiya and remastered everything!
Hoj was really annoyed with the BD Box annoucement, thinking that all of his work was in vain...
I have all of his raws and it REALLY looks amazing, even in bigger HD TVs!
Our project was on hiatus because we were waiting for news of the BD Boxes, to know if we would change our raws or not, to avoid timming problems and stuff... But now I'm encouraged again to back to my work on this series! (Ok, ok.. Only say the "final word" after downloading an episode raw...)
We are already aware of New Video Group crap release, and about the (small?) possibility of Crunchyroll taking the classic series, but still, since we want the most perfect work as possible, we won't give up our project unless someone releases something better than us.
To make everything clear, our basis to the first 60 episodes translations are from ADVFilms subtitles. We have another resources and our own knowledge and researches. Something that are helping me lately is to consult the original tankohons raws and read the script there to help me with transcriptions, comparing when the anime and manga have the same dialogues lines. (Saint Seiya have the worst audio -ever-).
Hoj already translated the whole Poseidon Arc, which is something totaly new in English, and we will try to translate at least some of the main episodes from Asgard Arc. I don't want to antecipate things and make promises. All I can tell you is what we already have:

-The whole 114 episodes are remastered by Hoj
-Sanctuary Arc QC is on progress
-All "V1" subtitles from Poseidon Arc are complete
-All previews and recaps from the Asgard Arc episodes are already translated by Hoj

We won't release anything unless we declare our work is finished, and this follows bakabt rules about not releasing uncomplete series.

I don't know yet if we will release a complete pack with all of the 114 episodes translated and revised by us with Hoj raws, or if we will release Sanctuary and Poseidon Arcs fully translated and revised, and Asgard Arc with some episodes fully translated and revised and French or HK subs with small corrections for the other ones with Hoj raws.
Anyway, there always a possibility of CR releasing the whole series, and if they do this, whatever is the way we make our release (fully translated or not), we could always use CR as a second reference and make "V2" patches. But the plan IS to still release the whole thing at bakabt this year.  :ikki:

And a preview of our work:
http://postimg.org/image/9p38jg3u3/
http://postimg.org/image/c2w1x4doz/ The whole songs are translated with singable animated karaokes  :shun:
http://postimg.org/image/njnnfzds7/
http://postimg.org/image/4jvd9c2mj/ Do you see any grainy here?

This is the beautiful work of Hoj, who tested through a tiring process of trial and error the best way to encode this series, in order to maintain as much detail as it is possible and not change the original colors (as Zero-Absolu did).

Sorry for talking so much, I even spoiled some things that probably I wasn't allowed to say, but I've felt that I had to, since here is the largest Saint Seiya fan base of english speakers, and our project is somehow public at bakabt. But remember: I don't want to make any kind of promises, neither give an ETA. (Plus, the project's owner is Hoj, all credits to him).

Edit:
Just to tease everyone and prove my words

http://postimg.org/image/osriktsgv/
http://postimg.org/image/7d2662osd/ translation by Hoj
http://postimg.org/image/b5dous35h/

Flamzeron

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Role Play World
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 10:10:30 PM »
I don't know what everyone was expecting. Even if high quality masters, like the movies Discotek released, exist they will still look old. Personally, I think the Blu-Ray looks fine. Since the film is obviously old, it won't look brand new.

Those fansubs look nice. I recently downloaded the rest of the series, but I will gladly replace Poseidon and Asgard with better quality subs and visuals. My friend and I just finished the Sanctuary arc with the new DVD and I downloaded the rest so we could finish it instead of wait for someone to pick up the rest of the series and license it.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »
Old stuff with film masters stand to gain the most from the HD transfer business.