Author Topic: Frozen rip-off Saint Seiya?  (Read 3068 times)

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
Frozen rip-off Saint Seiya?
« on: March 23, 2014, 03:02:04 AM »

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
Re: Frozen rip-off Saint Seiya?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:12:22 AM »
Never saw it, and I probably never will.  I don't care for musicals.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »
He he ,we discussed it on facebook some days ago.
It is clearly not a rip-of :)

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 01:28:08 PM »
Frozen is not a bad movie, though I'd wouldn't call it original and you dn't miss anything if you never watch it. But I have to like it.... since I had to make my pupils sing "Let it Go" (they begged me to do it... and I did for Christmas, I wanted to please them).... now the History and Maths teachers call me Elsa... :hilda:
:seiya: " Allô Shiryu, c'est toi ?"
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"

SageofTime

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »
How is Frozen a rip off? it made over something billion dollars and I liked it even though "Let it Go" sang so many times is annoying but here in the US a lot of little ones dressed up as Elsa for Halloween. Even the people in my senior high school class liked it well the girls primarily and I was one of them^_^ Plus Frozen was based off of Han-Christianson Anderson's The Snow Queen.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:28:20 PM »
*Very loosely* based on The Snow Queen, that's why I didn't like it...

SageofTime

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 11:35:53 PM »
I know a lot of Disney stuff is loosely based on things like I know that the Little Mermaid also by Hans-Christian Anderson was very sad because she didn't live in the end and the prince is with another girl (I saw Toei's version a couple of years ago because it went more like Anderson's and I burst into tears in the end). But Disney I think wanted to make things happy in their version that the little mermaid lives and marries the prince. I think the only movies that went closer to what the actual stories when Walt Disney was still alive like Snow White

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 12:45:10 AM »
True but Disney is trying to make the stories more ideal to the children...for instance the Hunchback of  Notre Dame...no one wants to see Esmeralda dying...and no one want's to see Quasimodo lifting up Frollo and tossing him from Notre Dame because he killed Esmeralda etc etc and they didn't want to show Quasimodo's unrequited love to Esmeralda...so they decided to pair her with someone else...

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 02:08:55 AM »

I agree, I read the original tale a long time ago and the movie wasn't like what I remembered of the story. It didn't bother me though.

As for Disney Studios, they have to adapt the stories, especially those that have a sad or even dark end (like the Little Mermaid, and I prefer the Toei version too).
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"

SageofTime

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 09:11:50 AM »
True but Disney is trying to make the stories more ideal to the children...for instance the Hunchback of  Notre Dame...no one wants to see Esmeralda dying...and no one want's to see Quasimodo lifting up Frollo and tossing him from Notre Dame because he killed Esmeralda etc etc and they didn't want to show Quasimodo's unrequited love to Esmeralda...so they decided to pair her with someone else...
Yes I know that is why they changed the little mermaid because it is not happy in the end

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 10:55:45 AM »
Frozen is overrated but saying it's a rip-off of Saint Seiya is also pretty much a bull. The thing is both of them arent particularly original to begin with, so there's really not much point in using the word rip-off.

Back to Frozen...I still don't understand how this thing could be anything beyond average...are people seriously trying to imply that it's better than Lion King or Mulan? at least that's what its popularity seems to imply, and I don't buy that.

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 11:03:05 AM »
are people seriously trying to imply that it's better than Lion King or Mulan?

Lion King is faaar ahead and muuuuuch better ! Mulan's better too. But this is my opinion and I guess it depends on people's taste.
As for popularity, it's not because something's popular that it means it's good.

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 11:20:04 AM »
Lion King is faaar ahead and muuuuuch better ! Mulan's better too. But this is my opinion and I guess it depends on people's taste.
As for popularity, it's not because something's popular that it means it's good.

I know that (obviously) but I just find its surge of popularity to be outright disturbing...who would have though it would dethrone Ghibli film in Japan?

The story and characters are average at best, the songs aren't even good...

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 11:23:34 AM »
...are people seriously trying to imply that it's better than Lion King or Mulan? at least that's what its popularity seems to imply, and I don't buy that.

What about Finding Nemo? I enjoyed that movie as much as I enjoyed Lion King! definitely one of the best Disney movies in my opinion. I gotta be honest tho, I will miss that style...sigh Lion King, Pocahontas, Mulan,The Emperor's New Groove, Aladdin and so many more...I am tired of the 3D movies.. can I blame Toy Story for that? it was the first 3D movie...

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 11:31:47 AM »
What about Finding Nemo? I enjoyed that movie as much as I enjoyed Lion King! definitely one of the best Disney movies in my opinion. I gotta be honest tho, I will miss that style...sigh Lion King, Pocahontas, Mulan,The Emperor's New Groove, Aladdin and so many more...I am tired of the 3D movies.. can I blame Toy Story for that? it was the first 3D movie...

Yes, Nemo! :D

I would have included it if it's a Disney Seiya-nii, but as a matter of fact, Finding Nemo is still produced by Pixar even if it has Disney name tagged to it ^^
...Similarly you wouldn't call any of Ghibli films available in US a Disney film.