Author Topic: Crunchyroll Gauging Interest In Original Saint Seiya  (Read 11851 times)

WotaYagi

• Silver Saint
  • 「これは運命だから」
    • View Profile
Re: Crunchyroll Gauging Interest In Original Saint Seiya
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »
I wasn't aware that the quality of the subs went really bad at episode 53 (I'm pretty sure I ended up with that "Saint Seiya Complete" torrent that you speak of) and so when I got to episode 53 and the subs were really bad, my initial reaction was "wtf", and then I was kinda like "can I really deal with these subs"...
I went back and checked, and the bit about Mitsumasa that I mentioned is from episode 63.

Most of it was at a level that wasn't so low that it was incomprehensible, but a lot of it didn't really make sense, so I was glad I knew who was who and some Japanese otherwise I would've been completely lost...
You can just call me Yagi.

[insert better signature here]

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2014, 08:49:44 PM »
Wow! I'm really impressed with your love for this series, Saga.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who fell in love with this series in the 80's and still care deeply for it now.

Ritsuka

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2014, 08:58:06 PM »
I wasn't aware that the quality of the subs went really bad at episode 53 (I'm pretty sure I ended up with that "Saint Seiya Complete" torrent that you speak of) and so when I got to episode 53 and the subs were really bad, my initial reaction was "wtf", and then I was kinda like "can I really deal with these subs"...
I went back and checked, and the bit about Mitsumasa that I mentioned is from episode 63.

Most of it was at a level that wasn't so low that it was incomprehensible, but a lot of it didn't really make sense, so I was glad I knew who was who and some Japanese otherwise I would've been completely lost...

They start to get better as the series progresses. But it's still hard to watch.

mez

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »
oh and on top of that Saint Seiya was cancelled in many countries

Oh yeah sadly, it seems SS classic in my country only up to Asgard....i only remember Sanctuary arc when i was child watching it but my big bro keep mentioning "tiger clothes" or something so i assumed its up till Asgard, sadly...

From what I can remember, I think I read that these HK subs, as we refer to them as, are/were ripped from the sort of cheap nasty anime DVDs with (really poor) English subs that are produced in Hong Kong for a quick buck

@Yagi: Oh God so subs that till up is HK subs? what about Hades Arc? is that HK Subs too? the thing i remember most is they changed Papillon Myu into Pabien................... (and till now i still called him Pabien jokingly when i talked with my friend who also watch those Hades Arc with me)

WotaYagi

• Silver Saint
  • 「これは運命だから」
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 09:16:40 PM »
They start to get better as the series progresses. But it's still hard to watch.

Yeah, when I started watching the anime, because it started with pretty good subs, I was firing through it like there was no tomorrow... I got through like 32 episodes or something within the first two days... and then of course I slowed right down because I couldn't deal with the poor subs in that amount... episode 74 (start of Asgard) was where they picked up a little bit.

@Yagi: Oh God so subs that till up is HK subs? what about Hades Arc? is that HK Subs too? the thing i remember most is they changed Papillon Myu into Pabien................... (and till now i still called him Pabien jokingly when i talked with my friend who also watch those Hades Arc with me)

Pretty sure that I've got semi-decent subs for Hades... Elysion was the only part of Hades not in the torrent I downloaded, I'm pretty sure I got the links for it from here...

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2014, 09:19:53 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one who fell in love with this series in the 80's and still care deeply for it now.

That's it...we all fell in love with the 80's series otherwise we wouldn't be here. I find it hard to believe that there fans from Omega...  :-_-U:

P.S I am still a big fan of Naruto and One Piece but Saint Seiya is..my life.

WotaYagi

• Silver Saint
  • 「これは運命だから」
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2014, 09:24:19 PM »
I am still a big fan of Naruto and One Piece but Saint Seiya is..my life.

Don't worry, Saint Seiya is my life as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one like this, lol.

mez

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2014, 09:35:50 PM »

Pretty sure that I've got semi-decent subs for Hades... Elysion was the only part of Hades not in the torrent I downloaded, I'm pretty sure I got the links for it from here...

I think its same...since sometimes they got right subs sometimes gone wrong

That's it...we all fell in love with the 80's series otherwise we wouldn't be here. I find it hard to believe that there fans from Omega...  :-_-U:

P.S I am still a big fan of Naruto and One Piece but Saint Seiya is..my life.

You means Omega fans then they like classic Seiya? if that the case is why not, i mean i like Transformers because of that Bayformers and then curious and jump to classic one, realizing that how failed bayformers i ended hating em (except TF1, and AoE are a bit....slightly better)

SS still not my life yet...but i hope its a place where i can landed my anchor coz i'm tired become fandom jumper.....

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »
You means Omega fans then they like classic Seiya? if that the case is why not, i mean i like Transformers because of that Bayformers and then curious and jump to classic one, realizing that how failed bayformers i ended hating em (except TF1, and AoE are a bit....slightly better)

I don't think that there any fans that originally became fans of Saint Seiya from the Omega series...when Omega started there were other series more interesting than that one and I still believe that only old fans of the series actually watched the whole thing...

as for Transformers...for me it ended up a long time ago. Yes I loved the original 80's series but I also liked the Micron/Superlink/Galaxy Force. Even tho I wasn't fan of that CGI style...(kinda like Zoids) it still had a nice plot overall. I enjoyed it as much as the original series. Everything else beyond this Trilogy was crap.

mez

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2014, 10:26:03 PM »
I don't think that there any fans that originally became fans of Saint Seiya from the Omega series...when Omega started there were other series more interesting than that one and I still believe that only old fans of the series actually watched the whole thing...

as for Transformers...for me it ended up a long time ago. Yes I loved the original 80's series but I also liked the Micron/Superlink/Galaxy Force. Even tho I wasn't fan of that CGI style...(kinda like Zoids) it still had a nice plot overall. I enjoyed it as much as the original series. Everything else beyond this Trilogy was crap.

That just sad.....but i ever read where DVD sales of SS omega is pretty well....
Are ppl not interested to see the original?? i mean original have a lot interesting characters ;_;

Hahahaha the thing i love from classic is only the design, today i love the comic more from IDW, i told it IDW classic since they still keeping classic shape as base and the story is faaar better. As for original 80's personally i don't like it and i sleep in half of eps, like 22? 23?
For US Tf animation, Transformers Animated is the best.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2014, 10:34:50 PM »
As for original 80's personally i don't like it and i sleep in half of eps, like 22? 23?

Hold it..when I meant the original series I meant the series that was made in English...not the original Japanese series...and I really don't think that the 80's US series was seen in Japanese...although I could be wrong...

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2014, 10:40:51 PM »

Actually, I got a friend into Saint Seiya with him picking up Omega (he watched the whole thing, marathoned it rather fast at that). He's now currently watching through the original anime.

Ritsuka

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2014, 11:00:46 PM »

Yeah, it's indeed the "Saint Seiya Complete" torrent. I downloaded it back in 2011 or 2012, and I december 2012 I did my first contact with Hoj, joining his SS subs project.

The missing episodes were really the Elysion ones, and all the Hades episodes which came with this torrent (plus NankH-TMD Elysion subs) are the best option avaliable in english till today.

Maybe someday I would like to ask Newborn to give me permission to OCR them, and then use a better quality video encode + softsubs. But I haven't even finished the classic series subs! Plus my RL issues... It's too early to think about Hades. At least, Hades Arc is pretty watchable.
And probably after finishing this series, I would like to take a break, for good.

Another series which I would like to work is Fuma no Kojiro. The problem is, I have to raise money to buy the discs at CD Japan. You can't find quality raws or DVD isos for this series anywhere... At least, this series is short.

Don't worry, Saint Seiya is my life as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one like this, lol.

I don't know if Saint Seiya is my life, but I can assure it's a big part of it.  ;)

Omega isn't so bad at all. It just have a lot of inconsistencies and sometimes bad drawings. But people tend to forget that the classic series have a lot of flaws and inconsistencies and bad drawings as well. Mostly because it was released too early, catching easily the manga.

Omega deserves some love and credit, at least a bit. These were Toru Furuya's feelings as well.

mez

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2014, 11:13:49 PM »
Hold it..when I meant the original series I meant the series that was made in English...not the original Japanese series...and I really don't think that the 80's US series was seen in Japanese...although I could be wrong...

Hm yeah G1 (80s series) is made in US but i think its also distributed in Japan as well, then after s3, Japan made s4 themself its called headmaster.

Speaking of Omega, even its called anime continuation i set in my mind that this is new series, since...the sudden elemental concept is weird for me, but its not bad. And then Midorikawa Hikaru trying to voicing 13 y old boy Kouga is weirder and not fit than other else..., but i like Ryuho and Yuna to death.

The thing that i still hard to accept probably some crap cloth design that made my eyes bleed..........

Ritsuka

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2014, 11:24:01 PM »
Speaking of Omega, even its called anime continuation i set in my mind that this is new series, since...the sudden elemental concept is weird for me, but its not bad. And then Midorikawa Hikaru trying to voicing 13 y old boy Kouga is weirder and not fit than other else..., but i like Ryuho and Yuna to death.

The thing that i still hard to accept probably some crap cloth design that made my eyes bleed..........
My problems with Omega Cloths are Yuna and Haruto Cloths. They simply doesn't remember the original previous Cloths at all. Plus Aquila Cloth was a Silver one! This is hard to accept.

But I don't have anything against Haruto and his "ninja" background. He is so beautiful...  :bblushy:

So maybe you're right. It's better to think of it as a new series.

It is still hard for me to like Shun and Hyoga new Cloths as well.

At least, talking about voices, they did something that, trust me... I'm saying the truth! ... I was thinking for YEARS since I got my love for Saint Seiya back:
Hiroshi Kamiya as Shun! They read my thoughts! He is the most suitable and closer to the original classic voice EVER.
Unlike the annoying new Shun's voice from the Hades Inferno & Elysion and games...

Shame is that I didn't like the other new voices to our legendary Bronze heroes. Mamoru Miyano voice is good, but it doesn't fits Hyoga... :/

They preferred to put Konishi as Souma instead as Ikki...

And yes, some Cloth designs also makes my eyes bleed, but still I see the "good intentions" of this series.