Author Topic: Crunchyroll Gauging Interest In Original Saint Seiya  (Read 11852 times)

Koibito

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
Re: Crunchyroll Gauging Interest In Original Saint Seiya
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 11:17:38 PM »
What Japan does with the franchise doesn't matter. Besides, with the success of Crystal, I wouldn't be surprised if Toei gave another show the same treatment. Legend of Sanctuary seems to have done okay at the box office.

Saint Seiya needs it. Saint Seiya just needs more canon promotion. Legend of Sanctuary doing okay is bad in my opinion. Granted it's just my opinion but canon should never be changed. More importantly, LoS doesn't help promote Saint Seiya at all, it just helps promote LoS. The most money would be made and it would just be best if they gave Saint Seiya the Crystal or the JoJo's 2012 treatment. That would be the only thing that would really revitalize the series and more stuff like LoS just means less real Saint Seiya media and merchandise.

WotaYagi

• Silver Saint
  • 「これは運命だから」
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 11:47:24 PM »
What Japan does with the franchise doesn't matter. Besides, with the success of Crystal, I wouldn't be surprised if Toei gave another show the same treatment. Legend of Sanctuary seems to have done okay at the box office.
Saint Seiya needs it. Saint Seiya just needs more canon promotion. Legend of Sanctuary doing okay is bad in my opinion. Granted it's just my opinion but canon should never be changed. More importantly, LoS doesn't help promote Saint Seiya at all, it just helps promote LoS. The most money would be made and it would just be best if they gave Saint Seiya the Crystal or the JoJo's 2012 treatment. That would be the only thing that would really revitalize the series and more stuff like LoS just means less real Saint Seiya media and merchandise.

Yep. This is pretty much it. LoS doing "okay" isn't all that great. It needed to do something more like "great" or "amazing". I think we'd have to be really lucky for Toei to even consider giving the original story the Crystal/JoJo's 2012 treatment, let alone act on it...
You can just call me Yagi.

[insert better signature here]

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2014, 01:57:16 AM »
I just don't see it happening...Saint Seiya needs to be on the map again for this to happen...Sailor Moon always had high popularity worldwide..but Saint Seiya is another story.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2014, 02:05:42 AM »
I just don't see it happening...Saint Seiya needs to be on the map again for this to happen...Sailor Moon always had high popularity worldwide..but Saint Seiya is another story.

Here's Toei's overseas licensing (prior to Crystal, and possibly prior to Omega, it's more than a year and a half old I know):

Saint Seiya's done better internationally it seems (and it could be even higher if it caught on in the US).

WotaYagi

• Silver Saint
  • 「これは運命だから」
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 03:37:06 AM »
Here's Toei's overseas licensing (prior to Crystal, and possibly prior to Omega, it's more than a year and a half old I know):

Saint Seiya's done better internationally it seems (and it could be even higher if it caught on in the US).

Even if that is more than a year and a half old, that actually looks alright...
You can just call me Yagi.

[insert better signature here]

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2014, 03:56:29 AM »

But being licensed for more countries over Sailor Moon doesn't make it more popular! It could be licensed and end up being a failure...what I am saying here and sorry for about mentioning Greece since it's practically the only country I know for these facts (because of my relatives) is that every cousin that I have older and/or younger know about Dragonball and Sailor Moon (being more popular among the girls yet still boys also watched it..) but anyway that's not the point. The point is that Saint Seiya came to Greece at the same time with Dragonball and Sailor Moon and apparently kids watched more the latter two. One of my cousins told me that Saint Seiya played last and was on prime time while Dragonball played 1st and then Sailor Moon. Because of the high popularity on Dragonball they moved it to prime time and Saint Seiya became nothing more than an early morning show with kids having little interest to none..sigh..it makes me sick that Sailor Moon was a bigger hit than Saint Seiya..but don't get me wrong Saint Seiya started big as I was told it's just that Dragonball and Sailor Moon later on became much more interesting and more appealing in majority than Saint Seiya.

I guess it was wrong that they licensed them both at the same time tho I can never understand why Sailor Moon of all things was so big (then again it was big in US too so..I have no words).  

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »
We got the whole manga and can get it digitally easily now, and we got subs for The Lost Canvas and Omega, plus DVD releases for the first 73 episodes and 4 movies.

Honestly, series have had far harder times here. It's getting better.

Getting better? Sure it is but I was talking long term. Even in the late 1980's and earlier 1990's among hardcore, serious anime and manga fans, Saint Seiya was more of a "Saint what?" than and "Oh, I like that series too". Heck, it took 18 years or so for me to get any of the manga officially in English. All the while Japanese anime mags would have articles on the series being broadcast in Europe and later Central and South America. Being a fan of this series here in the United States, in the pre-internet and early internet days, was not as easy as being a Naruto fan in the U.S. at any point in time. ;)

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »

Not that ok, it already went down to 10th place last week...

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »
But being licensed for more countries over Sailor Moon doesn't make it more popular! It could be licensed and end up being a failure...what I am saying here and sorry for about mentioning Greece since it's practically the only country I know for these facts (because of my relatives) is that every cousin that I have older and/or younger know about Dragonball and Sailor Moon (being more popular among the girls yet still boys also watched it..) but anyway that's not the point. The point is that Saint Seiya came to Greece at the same time with Dragonball and Sailor Moon and apparently kids watched more the latter two. One of my cousins told me that Saint Seiya played last and was on prime time while Dragonball played 1st and then Sailor Moon. Because of the high popularity on Dragonball they moved it to prime time and Saint Seiya became nothing more than an early morning show with kids having little interest to none..sigh..it makes me sick that Sailor Moon was a bigger hit than Saint Seiya..but don't get me wrong Saint Seiya started big as I was told it's just that Dragonball and Sailor Moon later on became much more interesting and more appealing in majority than Saint Seiya.

I guess it was wrong that they licensed them both at the same time tho I can never understand why Sailor Moon of all things was so big (then again it was big in US too so..I have no words).  

Yet in some Latin American countries, Saint Seiya was a major competitor to Dragon Ball. Of course, some countries will have some series more loved than others, but one's own country doesn't necessarily prove to be the gold standard.

Given that Omega tended to get some love on Crunchyroll, it would have done fine I believe.

But they put the poll on Facebook only, and didn't really advertise it. I had to do some of that advertising myself (to make up for my lack of a facebook account *I don't want one either*).

Flamzeron

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Role Play World
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 07:37:21 PM »
Not that ok, it already went down to 10th place last week...

Dang! I thought it was at 6th last I checked. That's a shame.

The Big G

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »
I HAVE WONDERFUL NEWS!

HULU HAS THE SANCTUARY SAGA FOR FREE STREAMS!

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2014, 08:46:38 PM »
I HAVE WONDERFUL NEWS!

HULU HAS THE SANCTUARY SAGA FOR FREE STREAMS!

Well, this is a pleasant surprise. I'm always up for the fandom to get some love in English.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2014, 08:50:51 PM »
Yet in some Latin American countries, Saint Seiya was a major competitor to Dragon Ball. Of course, some countries will have some series more loved than others, but one's own country doesn't necessarily prove to be the gold standard.

I have never said that that it was a "gold standard" because of one country, what I have said is that the possibilities of more countries having Sailor Moon being more popular series than Saint Seiya...and being licensed in more countries than Sailor Moon doesn't really make it a victor.

Last but not least..didn't you say that this was prior to Omega? so we are talking about the original series for both franchises? I don't really know but did Sailor Moon have anything newer than the old show that I truly hate? (lol) because seriously I avoid series that have girls for protagonists and have pink scepters. Anyway..enough about that..oh and on top of that Saint Seiya was cancelled in many countries while Sailor Moon pretty much ended.  I am only saying that the same possibility happening in other countries...oh and it did happen in US...I mean I have never watched beyond the 60 episodes that my father recorded on VCR...but he did know about the Asgard and Poseidon Arc because he found raw material but never showed me until I was older..simply because I wouldn't understand a thing xD.

The Big G

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »
Well, this is a pleasant surprise. I'm always up for the fandom to get some love in English.

Learned about it like 20 min ago

Flamzeron

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Role Play World
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2014, 10:10:15 PM »
This is indeed a nice surprise! I wonder if it is on Netflix as well.