Author Topic: Crunchyroll Gauging Interest In Original Saint Seiya  (Read 11857 times)

tokinokanatae

• Has discovered the Cosmo
    • View Profile
Crunchyroll Gauging Interest In Original Saint Seiya
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:54:07 PM »
Crunchyroll has released a poll on their Facebook page to see if there is interest in the original Saint Seiya series.

In the past, they've released and completed series like Slam Dunk and Galaxy Express 999, so there's a good chance that they would have streaming rights for the entire 114 episode run of the classic series.  While this wouldn't help people that are out of region for Crunchyroll, I honestly believe this is a rare chance to get the rest of the series subtitled in quality (or at least comprehensible) English.

RobertG22

Re: Crunchyroll Gauging Interest In Original Saint Seiya
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
Since NVG/Cinedigm already has the rights to the series, why would Crunchyroll be interested? NVG is set to release the first 73 episodes of SS to DVD in about a month in the US and Canada. Crunchyroll doing their own sub, after NVG, seems pointless and a waste of money.

tokinokanatae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all we know about NVG's set is that it will contain the rest of the Sanctuary arc.  There's been no indication that they're going to release any more of the series. 

To be honest, even if it's dependent on the sales of the set they're releasing in April, I just can't imagine there will be enough interest to release the series beyond Sanctuary.  They couldn't sell the series at the height of the anime boom with a (admittedly terrible, but still) TV tie in.  Unless NVG's expectations are are less than a thousand units, the truth is, we're not likely to get any more on DVD.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:33:18 PM »
Anoo...the submit button doesn't work, how are we supposed to vote?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all we know about NVG's set is that it will contain the rest of the Sanctuary arc.  There's been no indication that they're going to release any more of the series. 

Yeah that's not going to happen, that was all the Saint Seiya they had to offer.

tokinokanatae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »
I believe you need a Facebook account to vote, unfortunately.  I'm not sure I'd go to the effort of making one just to vote, but if you already have one, I thought it wouldn't be any hardship to show some support.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:56:04 PM »
I was logged in, I liked the page, voted and it wouldn't submit...

RobertG22

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 10:19:03 PM »
...I think it's gonna sell more than a thousand units. Yes, it's gonna be $100 for 11 DVDs, but they wouldn't be shipping it to Amazon, Walmart, Rightstuf and Barnes & Noble if they didn't think it would sell.

By the time Crunchyroll could get around to start subbing and releasing episodes, every stream and torrent site on the internet will have the NVG subs. Presumably, Crunchyroll would not put these episodes out for free, I imagine they would be available to subscriber only. Toei does not license it's shows cheaply. Part of the reason why it's take this long to get the movies out a year and a half ago, and now the first story arc, is because of those insane licensing fees. It's why the old uncut Sailor Moon boxsets are so very expensive: Toei isn't backing off on licensing fees for the show to be legally re-released here, or to finally have Stars subbed.

It'd be smarter to wait and see if NVG will release Asgard, Poseidon, and Hades before asking fans if they want to do the show. Unless they can release the other three arcs with good speed, they are just gonna be playing catch-up to NVG.

tokinokanatae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:38:16 PM »
...I think it's gonna sell more than a thousand units. Yes, it's gonna be $100 for 11 DVDs, but they wouldn't be shipping it to Amazon, Walmart, Rightstuf and Barnes & Noble if they didn't think it would sell.

I would be completely shocked if I could walk into my local B&N and pick up a copy of Saint Seiya on release date without preordering.  It's much more likely that you can buy it at those retailers online, which means they have a few copies at a centrally located warehouse they can ship out to people like you and me that want to buy it.

By the time Crunchyroll could get around to start subbing and releasing episodes, every stream and torrent site on the internet will have the NVG subs. Presumably, Crunchyroll would not put these episodes out for free, I imagine they would be available to subscriber only. Toei does not license it's shows cheaply. Part of the reason why it's take this long to get the movies out a year and a half ago, and now the first story arc, is because of those insane licensing fees. It's why the old uncut Sailor Moon boxsets are so very expensive: Toei isn't backing off on licensing fees for the show to be legally re-released here, or to finally have Stars subbed.

Crunchyroll already has a working partnership with Toei and has released several high profile series--arguably even higher profile than Saint Seiya--with them digitally.  I think it's safe to assume that if Crunchyroll is trying to see if people are interested, the licensing fee for streaming is not prohibitive for them, especially now that Toei has a reason to gauge interest in the original series due to the feature film this summer. 

I guess I just don't understand.  Why would there be a problem with two different companies releasing the same series?  I want to own Saint Seiya, yes, but it's a lot easier to point people in the direction of Crunchyroll and tell them to give the series a try than it is to try to convince them to put down a hundred dollars for an 80's TV series, sight unseen.  Surely there's room in the market for both approaches, and I'd rather cover all the bases than try to put all my eggs in a single basket.

The Big G

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 05:43:47 AM »
I voted.

Right now 93% want it....but only 76 people have voted.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 07:51:53 AM »
Voted as well, I don't know why it wouldn't let me vote earlier.

Flamzeron

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Role Play World
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 08:11:05 PM »
Since NVG/Cinedigm already has the rights to the series, why would Crunchyroll be interested? NVG is set to release the first 73 episodes of SS to DVD in about a month in the US and Canada. Crunchyroll doing their own sub, after NVG, seems pointless and a waste of money.

Well, they could be partnering up. Either that or this is solely for digital streaming.

I voted as well.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 09:42:32 PM »
Well, Crunchyroll only does digital, so yeah. They've gotten some stuff from Funi, so it's not impossible for them to stream licensed stuff.

I'd vote but I lack a Facebook. Still, trying to spread the word.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 08:30:09 AM »
428 responses so far.

@Mewzard:  You could make a dummy account.  Call yourself something like Bob Johnson.

Flamzeron

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Role Play World
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 04:37:46 AM »
I tweeted Crunchyroll about this last week and this is what they said.

http://i.imgur.com/bRDfnOp.png

Granted, this was back when there was only the 428+. It's 550 now.

The Big G

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 09:57:46 AM »
I tweeted Crunchyroll about this last week and this is what they said.

http://i.imgur.com/bRDfnOp.png

Granted, this was back when there was only the 428+. It's 550 now.

I'm curious to know/see what their magic # is for them to hit to actually sub the original series.

SSO has done pretty well for them, I think the original would do do roughly on par with it.