Author Topic: Kamen Rider - General Thread  (Read 11191 times)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
Re: Kamen Rider - General Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2015, 12:36:31 PM »
Ok so I have finished Fourze.  I would put it in the same category with Kabuto...not bad but not great either.

Also I have started Super-1, only because I liked his suit. My thoughts...it looks like Devilman in live action style...good story but...lacks character development, story pacing is slow..I am not a fan of these things at all. However I will try to watch the whole thing as I want to know how it ends but I am not keen in watching the last episode right now, I am going to watch it in the proper way and I hope it's not a waste of my time.

@GVmanX You told me not to look into the stats however it says it on the first episode that Super-1 has a 300 ton punch when he was testing it.
One more thing, do all Showa KR shows are like that (plotwise) because if that is true then I will probably stick to Heisei even tho there's so much drama at least you get to know the characters better.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »
Mostly.  Black has an overarching plot that gets a good bit of focus, but it's still pretty slow and not as character heavy.  I'd say Amazon does have a good bit of character development, but most of that is the narrator relaying it to you because the main character is a wildman. 

While it's not a Kamen Rider show, you do get to know the characters very well in Metalder.  While it does use the same sort of "narrator barking things at you" style that Amazon does, I feel it's really appropriate here because the protagonist is a robot that's learning what it means to be good.  The overarching plot is good, but the episode-to-episode stories are fantastic.  The villains get a lot of development, too.  The main bad guy's four generals are very prominent and get a lot of focus.  It's also only 39 eps.

And while I'm throwing out non-Kamen Rider stuff, Kikaider, the show that Metalder was remaking, would also probably be a good choice, but I think it's supposed to be a bit slower.  I've been meaning to watch it, but I haven't yet.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2015, 02:35:08 AM »
I heard so many good things about Black. Maybe I should give it a try later then. I don't mind if the pace is slow as long as the plot is good and the villains are not some faceless characters. Forgot to ask, do all Showa KR have minions besides the monster of the episode? Kinda reminds me of Sentai...lol.

About Kikaider...I didn't know there was a tokusatsu series of this fella. I have watched the anime ( I think they are quite a few series I watched the one that has Tezuka style) before I even started with Kamen Rider and I found it very interesting. 

I googled Metalder and now I know from where did Saban take the characters to create VR Troopers.

Ok so after Super-1 I will try Black and then we will see about the other two. Thanks man!

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2015, 11:04:56 AM »
I heard so many good things about Black. Maybe I should give it a try later then. I don't mind if the pace is slow as long as the plot is good and the villains are not some faceless characters. Forgot to ask, do all Showa KR have minions besides the monster of the episode? Kinda reminds me of Sentai...lol.

I don't think Black does, but a lot of 'em do.

About Kikaider...I didn't know there was a tokusatsu series of this fella. I have watched the anime ( I think they are quite a few series I watched the one that has Tezuka style) before I even started with Kamen Rider and I found it very interesting. 

Kikaider's a Shotaro Ishinomori classic.  There's also a manga that I've read a bit of; it's pretty good.

Ok so after Super-1 I will try Black and then we will see about the other two. Thanks man!

No problem.  And word to the wise about Super-1:  I've heard it gets kinda crappy in the second half.  They add in this team of kids that pal around with Super-1 who get a lot of focus.  I haven't watched it for myself, but that's what I've heard.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2015, 11:58:42 AM »

No problem.  And word to the wise about Super-1:  I've heard it gets kinda crappy in the second half.  They add in this team of kids that pal around with Super-1 who get a lot of focus.  I haven't watched it for myself, but that's what I've heard.

Thanks for the heads up, will let you know when or if it does get pretty crappy.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile