Author Topic: Kamen Rider - General Thread  (Read 11437 times)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
Re: Kamen Rider - General Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2014, 03:44:45 AM »
Ettoo...I agree but TV-Nihon for Agito is incomplete, so is Kuuga from what I saw. Probably the next series I am going to try after Agito. So at this point I will get whatever I can.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2014, 06:40:29 AM »
Ah, yes, those two series are their casual projects that they do whenever they get around to ^^

I seriously need more Daimajin Kanon though.

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2014, 07:41:17 AM »
Kabuto is more recent than Ryuuki, but Kiva is the most recent one.

Anyway, I wouldn't trust TV-Nihon unless you had to, as the case is with a few shows.  Agito already has better subs than TV-Nihon is ever going to manage.  They also leave those Japanese phrases untranslated for absolutely no reason; that's something that I think has gotten worse over the years.  They might've been the better choice for Agito back when all we had was the Cruel Angel subs, but the ones we have now are a cut above.

And you're welcome for the dl link, Seiya.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »
It's just regular phrases that there usually isn't an english phrase for, that they leave untranslated. And the word henshin of course, but it's a staple. They have toned it down with random untranslated things though.

Titles and catchphrases should never be translated, that's translation 101.

GVmanX, why wouldn't you trust the subtitles?

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »
Well, I am going to watch it  until episode 36  from TV-Nihon since I had it already done and then switch to that group . The thing is, even if I spot mistakes and things like that it won't bother me that much as I know most of the words. What I find a bad translation is when a text is totally out of place...(see Saint Seiya Asgard and Poseidon Arc as well as HK group's subs). Those ones are truly an annoyance.

Also if it's not much trouble I would like a link for Kuuga, I will probably want to watch it before Agito ( I don't know why I just feel like that's what I want to do).

Kabuto is more recent than Ryuuki, but Kiva is the most recent one.

Oh right, my bad.

It's just regular phrases that there usually isn't an english phrase for, that they leave untranslated. And the word henshin of course, but it's a staple. They have toned it down with random untranslated things though.

Yes, they have, I have noticed that as well, also I agree that words like Henshin should remain untranslated for the same reason.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:22:47 PM by Seiya »

雷 .r.G. 神

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 黄金の野牛。絶対美味しい牛肉を捜す
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2014, 12:13:54 PM »
OMG! i just found out!

Kurata Tesuo (Minami Kotaro) has a steak house (billy the kid) in koto, tokyo. there are two steaks i m gonna try: Rx (about $35USD) and Black (about $20USD).
この世に必要のない物が死ねだけだろう!!!

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2014, 01:07:31 PM »
Well, I am going to watch it  until episode 36  from TV-Nihon since I had it already done and then switch to that group . The thing is, even if I spot mistakes and things like that it won't bother me that much as I know most of the words. What I find a bad translation is when a text is totally out of place...(see Saint Seiya Asgard and Poseidon Arc as well as HK group's subs). Those ones are truly an annoyance.

Also if it's not much trouble I would like a link for Kuuga, I will probably want to watch it before Agito ( I don't know why I just feel like that's what I want to do).

They're better than bootleg subs, at least.

And here's Kuuga:  http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=155263.  Kuuga takes place before Agito in the same universe, actually, but that connection isn't really played up beyond the first episode.

Normally I would be okay with that, but then they do it with stuff they can easily find an English equivalent.  "Baka-san-tachi" is very easily translated into English.

I've always heard they should focus on readability; not making your own little "kun-sama-onore" pigeon Japanese because it's too cool to translate. 

I've heard so much shit about them in recent years that I only use 'em out of necessity.  Again, they're a step-up from bootleg subs and I'm glad they helped toku gain a fandom onlilne, but, at the same time, there's folks that do a much better job than they do now.

OMG! i just found out!

Kurata Tesuo (Minami Kotaro) has a steak house (billy the kid) in koto, tokyo. there are two steaks i m gonna try: Rx (about $35USD) and Black (about $20USD).

Do tell us if it's any good.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »

Every single other sub group for Tokusatsu translates these "phrases". The stuff TVN leaves in is ridiculous.

Catchphrases should never be translated? Why in gods name would you leave some random Japanese in for something that is easily translatable just because they repeat it? Stuff like that is a cancer in the fandom that TVN keeps going. Titles, I'm more fine with leaving in Japanese.

Their subs of Kamen Rider Blade were checked by other translators and found to be only, like, 60% accurate (can't remember the exact percentage, but it was ridiculous).

As for their recent Gaim subs, Magenta can explain the problems with them quite well:

http://notquitepurple.wordpress.com/

I've done a Power Rangers/Super Sentai Podcast for over 3 years, and a Kamen Rider cast for about a year or so now, so I've been trying to experience more of the franchise as I can, but I stopped watching TVN subs a long time ago...After I finished Magiranger, I had to stop:

There was no valid reason on Earth not to translate this or similar ones including things like "Chan" or "Tachi".

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »
They're better than bootleg subs, at least.

And here's Kuuga:  http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=155263.  Kuuga takes place before Agito in the same universe, actually, but that connection isn't really played up beyond the first episode.

Sweet, thank you so much GVmanX-san, I know it's easy to find torrents once you learn the site, it's the groups that sub them that I don't trust so with your help I can get some reliable ones.

Doumo arigatou gozaimasu.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »
No problem.  The only other subs available for Kuuga were some semi-decent bootleg rips.

RobertG22

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2014, 02:35:25 PM »
Ugh, yeah the Ryuki and Magi subs are awful. And depressingly, none of the other toku groups wants to sub either series. Mostly, everyone just wants to do the new stuff, getting a team to commit to a full, older season is nearly impossible.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2014, 03:41:23 PM »
Every single other sub group for Tokusatsu translates these "phrases". The stuff TVN leaves in is ridiculous.

Catchphrases should never be translated? Why in gods name would you leave some random Japanese in for something that is easily translatable just because they repeat it? Stuff like that is a cancer in the fandom that TVN keeps going. Titles, I'm more fine with leaving in Japanese.

Their subs of Kamen Rider Blade were checked by other translators and found to be only, like, 60% accurate (can't remember the exact percentage, but it was ridiculous).

As for their recent Gaim subs, Magenta can explain the problems with them quite well:

http://notquitepurple.wordpress.com/

I've done a Power Rangers/Super Sentai Podcast for over 3 years, and a Kamen Rider cast for about a year or so now, so I've been trying to experience more of the franchise as I can, but I stopped watching TVN subs a long time ago...After I finished Magiranger, I had to stop:

There was no valid reason on Earth not to translate this or similar ones including things like "Chan" or "Tachi".

Yes, i know, it's all Chompa chomp again. That's why you keep catchphrases, the original meaning disappears. That guy magenta seems to be very petty xD

Wow, Magiranger was like their fourth show,  they have imoroved since then xD

Unfortunately no subbing group is doing better than tv nihon, because they all put in their own weird translations that make it confusing, like chompa chomp and Ornac.

But let's leave it at that now pretty please? Let's focus on the upcoming Gaim, summer movie instead :D

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2014, 11:53:03 PM »
That guy magenta seems to be very petty xD

What guy? the one in the picture? isn't that a lady?

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2014, 01:44:28 AM »
The blog guy, mewzard put a link to xD

Anyway, i'm hoping the Gaim movie will deal with where the arms fruits are transported from, and see the introduction of permanent riders for Pine, Ichigo, Kiwi and Mango. :3

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2014, 09:07:19 AM »
The blog guy, mewzard put a link to xD

Oh wow...I feel so awkward right now...  :emo: