Author Topic: Kamen Rider - General Thread  (Read 11436 times)

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
Re: Kamen Rider - General Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 02:15:28 PM »
Most toku shows have a tendency to have poor endings due to many writers and a lot of pressure from Toei.
The best example of this was Hibiki. My goodness, that ending was terrible.

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »
Right give me a few options after Kiva, so far it's looking great.

P.S it looks like second part doesn't want to be downloaded.

Galaxian

• NankH Staff
  • Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Of this world...I'm disappointed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
Right give me a few options after Kiva, so far it's looking great.

The series that follows it, Decade, is by far the most divisive. For example Tetsu sees it as the worse, while it is my personal favorite.

After that is W which has the most solid writing, there are no plot-holes, and all of the movie fall neatly within the series timeline (something that actually quite rare for the franchise).

Then, comes OOO, the series has a rocky middle, but it a great entry overall and has by far the best cast.

Then is Fourze which is kind of a more "kiddie" series. To me its only real saving graces are one particular arc towards the middle and the fact that there are a few nods towards Saint Seiya in it.

Last year we had Wizard which started with a lot of potential, but ultimately turned into a drag. Though it did have some nice designs for the Riders and monsters and one of my personal favorite Secondary Riders.

Personally, if I was going to rewatch one of them it would be either Decade or OOO.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »
The current Kamen Rider series, Gaim, is being written by Gen Urobochi, who is primarily an anime/light-novel writer (Fate/Zero & Madoka), and most people already consider it one of the best entrees in the franchise.

Of the anime he's worked on, Fate/Zero is the only one I've really enjoyed.  I don't think his writing translates well from visual novels and light novels to anime.  I'll give Gaim a look when it's ended.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 11:20:29 AM »
Looks like second part of Kiva is dead... there goes my collection. :(

Personally, if I was going to rewatch one of them it would be either Decade or OOO.

Okay it looks I am going to give a shot to OOO since Decade is the most controversial series. I would rather try it later once I'm out of options.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 03:45:37 PM »
I'd say watch Decade once you've exhausted the Heisei series that came before. It's (stated*) premise is a celebration of the anniversary of the Heisei rider shows.

*In reality, they probably wanted an excuse to reuse old suits, sell old toys, stagger the premiers of new KR and SS shows, and advertise their card game.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 03:53:17 PM »
Nah order doesn't matter for this kind of thing...it doesn't have a continuity so whatever.

Now that I have found out that the shoes I had as a kid is called Black RX I want to watch it. I tried but could find nothing. Anyone knows where to watch older Kamen Rider series? (or just for Black RX at least)

RobertG22

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »
The old stuff is hard to find. Very little Showa-era series have been subbed, into English at least. Wikipedia can at least tell you if any of the old shows have been released onto DVD.

雷 .r.G. 神

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 黄金の野牛。絶対美味しい牛肉を捜す
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 05:59:24 PM »
The old stuff is hard to find. Very little Showa-era series have been subbed, into English at least. Wikipedia can at least tell you if any of the old shows have been released onto DVD.

I have the DVDs :p
この世に必要のない物が死ねだけだろう!!!

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »

Several of the shows (original, Stronger, Skyrider) have a good chunk subbed, and Amazon and Black have been subbed in their entirety.  Black RX I think had a group working on it.  As for V3, it has a legit (but expensive) release in the US by Kikaida Productions.  With X and Super-1, only something like the first five episodes have been subbed, I think.

And Seiya, check your PMs; I might've helped your download woes.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 08:13:43 AM »
Whoa..You won't believe what I just did.... I bought all the 13 Riders of Ryuki (Figures)including the two Survive Forms. I got a sweet deal for all of them for $500 and they are going to throw in a Genocider and Destwilder as  gifts.

Here's what I bought.

Ryuki

Picture too big so here's the link

Ryuki & Knight Survive Form

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Knight

Picture too big for the Forum so here's the link

Zolda

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Ouja

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Raia

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Gai

[spoiler]

(it's sad but Gai doesn't have many pictures and he was originally the most expensive before the deal.)
[/spoiler]

Scissors

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Tiger

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Imperer

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Odin

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Ryuga

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Verde

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Femme

[spoiler]

She is Limited Edition whoever wants her, get her now while she still exists, even Google doesn't have pictures of her. :P
[/spoiler]

Gifts

Destwilder

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Genocider

Picture too big so here's the link

P.S Now whether that was a good deal or not you tell me.

RobertG22

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 12:02:50 PM »
Very much so, average price for a Figuart is between $40 and $50, I believe.  Have you seen the design for Kamen Rider Abyss yet? It replaces Ryuga on the alternate Ryuki universe in DCD.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:22:10 PM by RobertG22 »

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »
Nah I haven't seen Decade yet and I rather have the original 13 Riders than a new Rider for my collection. I have finished Kiva, I liked it but not as much as I have enjoyed Ryuki. As for design I must say Dark Kiva is everything but I do like Kiva Emperor Form as well they are similar designs.
Today I have started watching Kabuto..1st episode can't say much but uh not a fan of the design.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »
Thebee and Sasword has neat designs though.
Kabuto is one of those series where the henshin gear has no story what so ever, and appears just when needed.
It's a good show to watch nevertheless xD

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2014, 04:44:37 PM »
Kabuto's Rider form is cool.

The problem with Kabuto is that it's continually past back and forth between two very different writers combined with the lead actress getting very ill around the time she becomes SUPER relevant to the plot.  There's plot threads that are created that are either left hanging or handled in a completely different way than intended.  As a whole, the show is a mess.  With the Zecters, you could tell they were building to something major with those...and they never got there.  The Masked forms of the riders were intended to give them greater defense so they could mosh through the weaker pupaworms, but their quickly thrown to the side and everyone and their grandma just cast-offs or molts immediately after transforming.  The defensive purpose of the Masked forms comes up maybe...twice?

When you take the different sub-arcs and stand-alone episodes, it's pretty good.  But if you try to view the show as one big thing, it's fairly meh.  Also, I though the movie tie-in sucked; it looked like they were trying to spread an average episode's special effect budget over one feature-length film.  The special effects in the show itself are bitchin', though.

Also, Seiya, I'm a bit jealous of your recently-acquired collection.