Author Topic: Just watched Lost Canvas again..  (Read 6569 times)

RobertG22

Re: Just watched Lost Canvas again..
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 02:03:51 PM »
Ugh, TMS. I'm still sad we probably won't get another two seasons to finish the series. I always fall in love with shows that are never finished :(

Paradox

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »
I guess the best does not always coincide with the most popular. Some shows are designed so that they are liked by a larger number of people.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 02:47:35 PM »
Yeah, imagine if Omega had been in OVA format. The sales would have been pisspoor.

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »
The OVA is, unfortunately, mostly dead apart from one-episode manga tie-ins and bonus episodes on the DVD releases of TV anime; we have late-night anime to thank for that.  I should probably read the manga of LC at some point; I love Teshirogi's art of her Gemini saint character.

I heard something about Toei suing TMS over the hair colors of the goldies in LC being the reason why it stopped.  Any validity to this?

RobertG22

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »
TLC is worth reading. About 223 chapters I believe. I've heard that as a rumor, but I never heard it being true. It wouldn't shock me if Toei did sue over that....Even though they are different characters already pretty well just redesigns of the original ones. I doubt you could enforce something like trademarked hair color.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 01:52:14 AM »
I hate to admit it but if TOEI had Lost Canvas the series would have better ratings. I don't know any shows been dropped by TOEI ( not sure but I believe so). The question is, why TOEI wasn't the one that had Lost Canvas in the first place? As for suing TMS  for the hair color, I don't think that is true....think the hair color in the manga was the same with TOEI anime series except Shion as he was blonde if I remember correctly in the anime (Lost Canvas) he was blonde with a little tint of green. So yeah if they had to sue someone for that it should be Teshirogi (she did the coloring too right?).

RobertG22

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 01:54:21 AM »
No, Toei cancelled the original Seiya due to low ratings. And around the same time, Jump told Kurumada to quickly finish his series, because they wanted to cancel that due to poor manga sells.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 02:53:25 AM »
You mean that the Hades Arc could be in the 90s if the ratings were high? I thought that the show caught up with the manga or something but now that I see the dates of the manga(Hades Arc) and the anime(Poseidon Arc) that shouldn't be a problem. Like when Asgard was added was just to drag the series till Kurumada moves on.
Okay now it makes more sense.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 03:44:36 AM »
I hate to admit it but if TOEI had Lost Canvas the series would have better ratings. I don't know any shows been dropped by TOEI ( not sure but I believe so). The question is, why TOEI wasn't the one that had Lost Canvas in the first place? As for suing TMS  for the hair color, I don't think that is true....think the hair color in the manga was the same with TOEI anime series except Shion as he was blonde if I remember correctly in the anime (Lost Canvas) he was blonde with a little tint of green. So yeah if they had to sue someone for that it should be Teshirogi (she did the coloring too right?).

LC was sold as OVAs so ratings had very little to do with it.
Had Toei done it the quality would have been 70 % lower

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 05:29:35 AM »
I hate to admit it but if TOEI had Lost Canvas the series would have better ratings. I don't know any shows been dropped by TOEI ( not sure but I believe so). The question is, why TOEI wasn't the one that had Lost Canvas in the first place?

Like Tetsu said, and I also like to add that even if LC was a TV series, being animated by Toei would never be the reason for better ratings. A more realistic outcome would be Toei making a crappy work out of LC and plummeting the potential sales a proper TV series LC could have. It's no secret that Toei pumps out low quality works (well... except some, like the recent masterpiece that is Kyousougiga).

If Toei animated LC we might have a finished LC anime but it surely wouldn't be enjoying the massive praises it has received.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 06:16:25 AM »
If Toei animated LC we might have a finished LC anime but it surely wouldn't be enjoying the massive praises it has received.
Massive praises and still it failed...and I repeat, of this world I am disappointed.

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 06:37:37 AM »
Massive praises and still it failed...and I repeat, of this world I am disappointed.

I still believe the reason it flopped is mainly because of the format and to a certain extent the marketing.
Being an OVA mean excluding exposure by a big medium like television, which instantly translates to a significantly less sale... ahh if only it was on TV... at least I could dream  :-.-:

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 07:39:09 AM »
No, Toei cancelled the original Seiya due to low ratings. And around the same time, Jump told Kurumada to quickly finish his series, because they wanted to cancel that due to poor manga sells.

The anime ratings drop but at that time the manga was the most popular it was just starting Hades...

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 07:59:02 AM »
The anime ratings drop but at that time the manga was the most popular it was just starting Hades...

I wonder why that happened? It seems a little counter intuitive. :nani:

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 08:18:19 AM »
As much as people like to argue, Asgard ch didn't really work by the time they did Poseidon anime the ratings didn't bounce back. The manga was the most popular though. It was at the end of Hades manga when sales was low, not before...