Author Topic: Shingeki no Kyojin - Attack on Titan  (Read 4320 times)

Haldir

• NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Misplaced Athena's Urn Again
    • View Profile
Shingeki no Kyojin - Attack on Titan
« on: September 22, 2013, 02:37:43 PM »
So who is into this Series too right now, whether the Manga or Anime?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Titan:
Attack on Titan (進撃の巨人 Shingeki no Kyojin?, lit. "Advancing Giants") is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama.

The story centers around the lives of Eren Yeager, his adoptive sister Mikasa Ackerman, and their friend Armin Arlert, who live in a world where the remnants of the human population live inside cities surrounded by enormous walls due to the sudden appearance of the Titans, gigantic humanoid creatures who devour humans seemingly without reason. Their lives are changed forever after the appearance of a colossal Titan brings about the destruction of their home town and the death of Eren's mother, spurring them to enter the army to battle the Titans themselves.

Wikia Link: http://shingekinokyojin.wikia.com/wiki/Shingeki_no_Kyojin_Wiki

After much resistence over the pass few months/year, I finally gave in and started reading the Manga Scanlation & watch the Anime.
Found it to be very interesting, like the kind of Story I will enjoys (Dammit, how did my Cosplay Friends, and Okuni Sensei knows? :P ) and I'm now HOOK to it that I already made plans to buy the US Mangas and Cosplay it next year.  8)

Can't wait for the next Chapter (Chapter 50?) to comes out as the story is getting more exciting now!  :drool:

:milo::aioria2: : Because of SnK we got forgotten these past few days!  :'(

Thrudgelmir2333

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Writing with my heart, always.
    • View Profile
Re: Shingeki no Kyojin - Attack on Titan
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:15:16 PM »
Oh, God, YES.... :drool:

I've only been watching the anime, though.

Cadraire

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:52:01 PM »
Its my favorite anime this season, really fun and exciting. I'll be reading the manga too soon as I finish the last episode next week. ^^

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 05:04:47 PM »
The manga has gotten really, really bad.  The series was so good for about the first four volumes.  After that, Isayama just kept piling on new mysteries without answering a single thing and stretching out the events.  A few months ago, he badly botched a very important, very spoilerly reveal of whodunnit.  After that, it looked like things might finally start moving again, but the terrible writing in the last chapter really makes me wonder.  Also, too many characters look alike.  It's not just the facial features, either; he only knows about three different hairstyles and body types.  It's easily the biggest disappointment I've read this year.  It's a shame, too, because I really want to like it.

@Haldir: Yeah, the next chapter is 50.

Haldir

• NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 01:33:26 PM »
I actually like the piling up of new mysteries without answering the previous ones as I can see it coming to something related to each other. :P
Am getting a rough idea now what MIGHT had happened over 100 years ago; guess the clue was in what Annie's dad said to her and Connie's mother.
Then again, I have no answer to about that "Ape" Titan; his seems like the deepest mystery!

In term of the Manga drawing, I agree it's not that great and I had troubles telling certain characters apart. :(
To me it's like reading Rozen Maiden (compare the Manga to the Anime.....WTH wrong with the Mangaka's drawing? :o ) so went more for the storyline than the drawing. Got the Anime to keep my need to "perfection" fulfilled anyhow! XD

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »
I actually like the piling up of new mysteries without answering the previous ones as I can see it coming to something related to each other. :P
Am getting a rough idea now what MIGHT had happened over 100 years ago; guess the clue was in what Annie's dad said to her and Connie's mother.
Then again, I have no answer to about that "Ape" Titan; his seems like the deepest mystery!

A lot of the mysteries feel a bit superfluous to me, which is why I don't like it so much.

I am really interested in that Ape Titan, though; it's one of the few things that's keeping me reading.
Well, I just read the most recent chapter, and it seems like the series is starting to get better.  Something was actually revealed this chapter and few more things were given clearer hints.

So yeah; I'm actually looking forward to the next chapter now.

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »
I like the uniforms worn by the giant killer/zombie fighters but the series itself just doesn't interest me.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »
@Gemini Saint Saga:  Out of curiosity, is it the art?  The overall premise?

leorio

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 09:06:48 AM »
@Haldir Are you planning to get the Indonesian version of the manga too? :p

I've only watched the anime and read the early chapters (just reading the manga as it's published here) and so far I like what I see. The subversion of tropes, the diverse female cast. Also liking the panel arrangements and angles in the manga.

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 10:25:17 AM »
@Gemini Saint Saga:  Out of curiosity, is it the art?  The overall premise?

The art and character designs are fine and as I mention, I like the uniforms. In fact, someone put the Anglerfish Team from Girls Und Panzer in those uniforms http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/143/3/3/girls_und_titans_by_kimmy77-d66d0fo.jpg and I thought they totally rocked the look.

My problem is the premise, story, characters, etc. just don't appeal to me. Not saying it's bad but rather it's just not my cup of tea. It could be a generational thing. I know several other older anime fans in their 40s and older who don't care for it while a brief glance at the interweb would lead one to believe that every anime fans in their 20s to early 30s think it's the "GREATEST ANIME EVER!!!". Normally always proclaimed in cap lock and in some misspelled text code that I can't bring myself to type.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »
My problem is the premise, story, characters, etc. just don't appeal to me. Not saying it's bad but rather it's just not my cup of tea. It could be a generational thing. I know several other older anime fans in their 40s and older who don't care for it while a brief glance at the interweb would lead one to believe that every anime fans in their 20s to early 30s think it's the "GREATEST ANIME EVER!!!". Normally always proclaimed in cap lock and in some misspelled text code that I can't bring myself to type.

Reminds me of the Sword Art Online fandom.  Both series go for the cheap emotional plays frequently.

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 11:57:27 AM »
I haven't watched that yet but once again, I like the costumes worn by the lead characters. Sword Art Online is something I plan to check out but I've not had the time to do so yet.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 12:41:50 PM »
I haven't watched that yet but once again, I like the costumes worn by the lead characters. Sword Art Online is something I plan to check out but I've not had the time to do so yet.

It tries too hard to be serious, I think.

Haldir

• NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
@Haldir Are you planning to get the Indonesian version of the manga too? :p

When I got the money to order it online.....which I hope from Jan 2014 onwards! >_<

My Indonesian friend is already getting for me Level Comics' SSTLC and Episode G Mangas as they're released and sending them to me once there is a good amount to fit into a parcel so I dun want to burden them further by getting me SnK Manga.
And Level Comic never reply to my question about shipping, properly; whether their "retail" website do ship Overseas (then again, Sumatra, Batam, Bintan, Kalimantan etc is "Overseas" right? :P ).
Then again, I might get my 501st Singapore Garrison brother to ask his wife who travel regularly back to Jakarta or he himself when he visit his relatives there, to get them for me. Easier for me to pay him back too.

As for the US one, at SGD18+ EACH, guess it really got to wait till next year when I got the money and Kinokuniya here have 20% Off Discount. >_<
I probably ended up getting 10 volumes at a go since at Kino, I can see up to Vol 7 had been released and the rate of release seems pretty fast now! :o
(Japan will get Vol 12 this December and there gonna be a Limited Edition version of it too! ;D )

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 02:58:21 PM »
I've decided to take it up once I'm done with a few other series on my list - I've seen way too much fanart and hype about it and want to see what it's like (so far, I love the cast list - Kishou Taniyama as Jean, Hiro Shimono as Connie, Ryota Ohsaka as Marco. And for the first time in ages, Yuuki Kaji ACTUALLY sounds good as Eren. Most of his roles are high-pitched genki teenagers... like Finnian in Kuroshitsuji...). I looked up a few scenes on Youtube, and pretty much broke at Jean's reaction to the funeral pyre. Damn it, I love Taniyama. He's been getting better at showing emotion in his voice-acting (then again, he was already emotional enough as Puzzle in One Piece).

That said, Kuroko no Basket interests me more than Shingeki no Kyojin does. ;P Also intending to watch Free!, Starry Sky, Uta no Prince-sama (already love it) and Alice in the Country of Hearts (I'm completely obsessed with this series - already bought every English volume of the manga). ...And Kishou Taniyama's also in Kurobasu and Utapri. I love his character in Utapri so much~ A nice ditzy guy with a mean and violent split personality. hngh~  :blushy: