Author Topic: Favourite Fantasy Series/Novels/Worlds  (Read 7801 times)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Fantasy Series/Novels/Worlds
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »
This is my favorite genre so brace yourselves it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Anything by J.R.R Tolkien

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Anything by Brandon Sanderson

All Warcraft series

Discworld series

Tales of the Otori series by Lian Hearn

Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist

Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks

The Belgariad by David Eddings

Tales from Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin

The Saga of Darren Shan series by Darren Shan

Castaways series by Brian Jacques

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever  by Stephen R. Donaldson

Gentlemen Bastard Sequence series by Scott Lynch

All Egyptian related fantasy series by Christian Jacq

The Tripods series by John Christopher

The Kingkiller Chronicle series by Patrick Rothfuss

Dune series by Frank Herbert

Chronicles of The Raven series by James Barclay

Anything by Neil Gaiman

The Halfblood Chronicles series by Mercedes Lackey and Andre Norton

The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

The Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence

I hope this is all...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:20:01 PM by Seiya »

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
Dune is fantastic. I've only read up to Dune Messiah; I really need to read the rest of the Frank Herbert Dune books (I'm not gonna touch the Brian Herbert books with a ten-foot pole).

How's that Kingkiller Chronicles series? I like a good bit of Regicide.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
I found a new Finnish fantasy trilogy called The Continents. ...I began to read the first book, but didn't get far since I had to return it to the library. I'm thinking about buying the entire trilogy, or getting my parents to buy it for me as a Christmas present. I just want to know what Cantillan and Bollens encounter on the other side of the Great Ocean Current.

Oh, and I also got into Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series. I kinda had to read them, the mythology fangirl I am. (Yes, I've been into mythology BEFORE getting into Saint Seiya. I was 8 years old when I got my first myth book.)

PS. I've steadily been buying the books in Anu Holopainen's "Lands of Autumn" series. I originally thought it was going to be a trilogy, but now it already has six books.

Anu Holopainen's fantasy series

Sonja: The Kingdom of Crystals, The Court of Witches, Gae Bolga
Descendants of the North Wind: The Children of Boreas, The Black Flame, Blue-Eye
Lands of Autumn: Welma's Girls, Sister Trees, The Wine Merchant, Valley of Night, Shadows, Wayfarers

Sonja is a time travel trilogy about a modern Finnish girl. She's with her dad on his boat near Key West, Florida, when a time travel portal whisks her to Atlantis. She leaves Atlantis by the end of the first book, time travels to Columbus's ship, then a Viking ship and finally makes her way to Celtic Ireland where she spends the last two books (she never returns home). ...I love Zadar and Qoref. A LOT. Oh, and Anu is really famous for her strong female protagonists. Sonja herself is pretty awesome.

Descendants of the North Wind is about the Land of the North Wind and the people who live there. They're trying to stop a Mage Lord from opening the Gates of Fagólian, the land of demons. In the second and third books they even travel to the Underworld, even getting a few dead people in their party.

The Lands of Autumn series is about a patriarchal society where women don't really have any rights at all. Several women rebel against these laws and establish a group known as Welma's Girls. ...The main character is called Adaira - she escapes an arranged marriage and joins Welma's Girls, eventually traveling to Red Rowan village and meeting lots of women and men on the way, making both friends and enemies. I've forgotten all but two of the characters... and those two are guys, weird enough. XD Merkinos, Adaira's friend; and Rakhenes, Javona's husband and a healer priest.

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 09:48:47 PM »
When I read your posts, I realize that I know nothing about Fantasy at all (I love reading, any kind of novels, so I actually I'm not versed into any genre).

So the very short list of the fantasy novels I've read includes :

J.R.R Tolkien's The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion

C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia

and J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter

As for fantasy universe in movies, there's one in particular that I liked :

The NeverEnding Story (I never read the novel, but when I was a kid, this movie was aired at least each year).
:seiya: " Allô Shiryu, c'est toi ?"
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 02:30:57 AM »
1.Dune is fantastic. I've only read up to Dune Messiah; I really need to read the rest of the Frank Herbert Dune books (I'm not gonna touch the Brian Herbert books with a ten-foot pole).

2.How's that Kingkiller Chronicles series? I like a good bit of Regicide.

1. Aww you haven't finished it yet? I believe the Dune series needs more love.

2. It's pretty good. I think FOX was going to make a series for it two years ago but I don't know what went wrong. I believe you will like it. There a few more books out that are set in the Kingkiller Chronicles world but I haven't read those. Nor do I know if they are side stories or anything...

Also I can't tell you much about the story so I won't spoil it but all I have to say is this. A king dies and the protagonist takes the rap for it.

SageofTime

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 11:42:36 AM »
My favorite series is Maximum Ride by James Patterson it is about a girl named Maximum who goes by Max and 5 other characters Fang, Iggy, Nudge, The Gasman, and Angel who are avian-human hybirds so they are people with bird wings and they fight evil organizations. It is a really good series and there are 9 volumes out and I am still on the 8th one and I heard the series is getting a movie.

AriesVirgoGeminiPete

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • SIEG NEO ZEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 07:55:39 AM »
- J.R.R. Tolkien: Lord Of The Rings world
- Dune Series by Frank Herbert
- Prelude To Dune Trilogy, also known as House Trilogy, by Briant Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
- Butlerian Jihad trilogy has its moments
- a Hungarian author who is contributing to the world of M.A.G.U.S. role playing games, under the alias of Raoul Renier
his works are not translated to any foreign languages

Warcraft Fantasy World, BUT I prefer Warcraft 1 - 2 - 3 for PC, not a big fan of WoW.