Author Topic: Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time  (Read 3616 times)

Roheryn

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Pearlescent Fire
    • View Profile
    • Musings of a Roh
Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time
« on: September 19, 2007, 07:23:22 PM »
C'symia, Gemini Saga

Ih, I know, SkyeY ((ih, I have a habit of adding 'Y's to things...)) many forums are big loving families, and I'm already feeling at home here.  and fun ish always good.

But tis nothing that had to do with ya'll.
Its just, that I found out last night, that one of my favorite authors, Robert Jordan, who wrote Wheel of Time, passed away on September 16th around 2:45 PM.  It makes me sad that he wasn't able to leave the completed WoT as his last legacy, because he didn't finish the 12th book.  Although, he did leave info on how it was to be finished, and what the end of hte plot ish.

KnightSkyeメガン

• Saint of Cybertron
  • NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Daughter of Nyx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 07:31:18 PM »
Aw . . . . That's sad.  I mean, even if someone else came along and finished it, it wouldn't be the same.

Roheryn

• Pearlescent Fire
    • View Profile
    • Musings of a Roh
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 07:52:08 PM »
oh, they plan to finish it... but still, not the same, even with the extensive notes that he left...
they're currently in the process of transcribing them from the audio tapes he recorded them on...

though, it speaks very highly of him that even though he was really sick, and knew he was going to die, he spent the remains of his life for his readers

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 01:37:49 AM »
Oh wow..  I'm so sorry.  He will always be remembered.  It makes the unfinished story all the more valuable, if they didn't finish it.  It is a kind idea to finish the series for him, but it just wouldn't be the same...

Mel

I'm a coward, because I love you too much to let you go.

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
  • Awakened to the 8th Sense
  • A Heart for Ice Saints and Idiot Crabs
    • View Profile
    • Stayka's Saint Seiya Archive
Re: Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 06:54:29 AM »
It's sad to hear that he did at only 58 years of age at this terminal disease (ironically I only read up on amyloidosis three days ago as it appeared in an episode of House that was shown on Tuesday evening here).

I really hope that the twelveth volume of the Wheel of Time will be written anyway as he did spend the remainder of his life to put together the notes to wrap it up. It would be a sin to let this effort go in vain.

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

Roheryn

• Pearlescent Fire
    • View Profile
    • Musings of a Roh
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 08:37:01 PM »
tis in the process of being discussed/worked on last I heard from WoTmania...
It would be a shame if it didn't get finisheds

Himeros

• Still thinking of a Custom Title :)
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 06:27:28 AM »
I never heard of Wheel of Time. What is it about? It sounds like sci-fi story? I mean from its title, Wheel of TIME. Aw, he's suffering from terminal illness? :( That's very sad. I hope he can still write. I know that writing is never easy.... It needs mood...

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
  • Awakened to the 8th Sense
  • A Heart for Ice Saints and Idiot Crabs
    • View Profile
    • Stayka's Saint Seiya Archive
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 07:20:38 AM »
Wheel of Time is a fantasy epic. And unfortunately, Robert Jordan died already almost 4 months ago.

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

Himeros

• Still thinking of a Custom Title :)
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 11:50:50 AM »
Aw... he died already? (Endy is shocked). I never heard his name or read his work, but I feel sad. I hope a major studio will do movies on his books. Movie is the only media that can carry books to all over the world, like what happened to LOTR, Narnia, Golden Compass. I like fantasy epic. I should try google his work and maybe find summary of his story in Wikipedia.

Roheryn

• Pearlescent Fire
    • View Profile
    • Musings of a Roh
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 09:48:56 PM »
I would love a movie version... although with they length, they'd be better off doing a tv series, they could get more of the nuances...
ih, he died September 16th... without finishing the final book...
but his wife chose someone to finish A Memory of Light... his name escapse me right now though...

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
I'm currently reading the first novel. "Eye of the World" was actually divided into two volumes in Finnish, and this first half seems a bit boring. I'll continue the series, though - I'm sure it gets interesting once things actually start happening (probably by the time they reach Tar Valon... or IF they reach it).

So far my favorite characters are Lan, Thom, Rand and Perrin. In that order. ...Of the women, Egwene and Nynaeve both annoy me immensely, but I LOVE Moiraine. <3

As for where I am at the moment, the group just left Baerlon. I wanted to bash the Whitecloaks' heads in... I ended up imagining Beldarius (that dimension-hopping character of mine) insulting them and teaching them some humility, by telling them some truths about fanatics and religion. I just can't stand fanatics, even in imaginary worlds. Whenever I encounter them, I want to make them see how stupid they are.

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »
Love the writing of Robert Jordan. I hate that it's going to be another year before the final WoT book gets published.