Author Topic: Female fans of SS  (Read 7737 times)

Saga235

• Bronze Saint
  • Athena's Sanctuary Forever
    • View Profile
Female fans of SS
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:26:09 PM »
I often wonder why there are female fans of SS.  SS has more romanticism, more emotion?

Well, as a guy, I can understand the romantic side.

There was a scene in anime version of SS Lost Canvas.   Sasha, in full goddess gown with Nike staff, was in the sanctuary under a bright moonlit night.  Tenma, in Pegasus cloth, walking towards her from behind.

I thought, wow, that scene was nice.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:33:24 PM by Saga235 »

Lady of Fireflies

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Blasterrific
    • View Profile
    • Digital World RPF (in Bahasa)
Re: Female fans of SS
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »
Personally, because SS is just dramatic. I love drama, see. xD

Well, yes, there are so many emotions in SS, be it the classic, lost canvas spin-off, or even the episode G. However, in the subject of classic, I enjoy more of Seiya's foolhardiness than that of the drama. xD

Currently in Cardfight!! Vanguard mood

chibi_hentai

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:28:47 PM »
Well, one reason is probably the attractive characters. As a female fan, it probably was the reason I gave the horrible DIC version a chance in the first place and gave it a second chance when I found it in a store in it's un-cut form. Though it's story and character and action is what kept me going. Attractive characters can only warrant my buying a series for so long.

Personally, I'm a fan of series like SS and Ronnin Warriors and mecha series like the Gundam's. I also enjoy that it isn't full of shoujo bubble romance but isn't as drawn out and grating as some modern day shounen series are like Bleach and Naruto that follow the standard shounen fight model. It still has those elements, but it isn't as drawn out.

It's few female roles are also wonderfully kick-ass and not all weak, trembling little things needing their man to save them.

Also, why shouldn't girls like a fighting anime? ^_~ We aren't all in it for the romance.

Haldir

• NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Misplaced Athena's Urn Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 10:53:26 PM »
Heh, why not we let ONLY the Ladies in the Forum explain why they LOVE Saint Seiya, any or all the Series to come out of it.
Guys, no matter how much "research" they do  ::)  won't be able to say it out the well. ;D

For me, the association of SS with Greek Mythology, the Armors, Constellation and the Actions/Fight Scenes really DRAG me into the series some 22-23 years ago. Somehow guess I have a bit more Testosterone in me (a bit Tomboy in my youth) so love characters wearing Armor or wielding swords and guns. ;D
I first came into contact with SS thru a set of "cards" given free in the local TORA or some other company Candy Box (1 Card, 1 tiny toy and some chocolate biscuit.....my Grandma the one eating the Biscuits for me) around 1988 or 1989 and somehow kept it cause "the cartoon characters are wearing nice looking armors and have funny color hairs".
Later in 1990, I found the (Chinese) Manga, Vol 2 or 3 at the Bookshop behind my school and have just become interested in Greek Mythology thru a story found in my Comprehension Reading Textbook, I gotten it and start seeing the pictures. Was kinda impressed with Seiya and Co. for still able to stand up after having his face hitting the floor so often. :D
One Manga became 28 and I was continuosly hooked to the series tho' I yet to understand what exactly being said cause I can't read Chinese.

When SSTLC came out, its exploration of the human feelings and dilemas got me to LOVE SS even more.
SSTLC given us what is a bit lacking in SS, giving many of the Non-Main Characters their time in the Limelight, give us the chance to almost know their feelings towards the war, loyalty and dilemas they faced. Romance, I only see it here and there, and it's typical I guess for one my age as by the time SSTLC comes out, I am too old (my friends already married with a Degree & 2 childrens at least! :o )
And of course, the ACTION got me hooked as usual. ;)

Ps : Ya, I also a fan of Voltron, Macross/Southern Cross/Mospeada/Grandizer/DangaAce/Saber Rider/M.A.S.K./ The Transformer/Maskman/Robocop  etc in my youth  ;)

Newborn [ニューボン]

• Admin of SSF
  • Administrator
  • Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
    • Saint Seiya fan
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 03:55:51 AM »
everybody knows womenz like SS because of the purty guys.

but a nifty fact that i've come across is that i dont see many girls liking SS in spanish speaking websites.
i haven't explored many other sites besides spanish ones since english and spanish are the only two languages i speak.

could women liking SS be just a english phenomenon?

also i notice 99% of the fanfics are women written lol
spoiler tag code
Code: [Select]
[spoiler]type here[/spoiler]

chibi_hentai

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »
@Newborn: I'd dare to say it might be more of a cultural thing than an English phonomenon. And how it was marketed at the age group it really appealed to at the time. If it was being aimed more at the 13 and under boys, a lot of girls that age might have thought it was too boyish and not wanted it. I think a lot of the female fans on this board (Though correct me if I'm wrong) tend to have come across StS at a slightly older age :3

This is only one instance, but there was a comment I read from a guy (not sure the age) where he loved StS because it showed him a level of emotion and brotherly bonds he didn't know he was allowed to show. That makes me think that where he lived at the time and grew up they had very strict ideas of gender roles and what girls and boys could like and act like.

I do know in Japan though Saint Seiya didn't have a large female following until the anime version and they made sure to amp up the bishonen to attract more girls. (pretty standard formula)

The fanfic thing I think is across the board mostly women though! lol. In all fandoms. Or at least, I have a tendency to perceive most fanfic writers as women until otherwise stated. Hm, why is this?

And this got longer than intended xD; oops.

Haldir

• NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Misplaced Athena's Urn Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »
I think a lot of the female fans on this board (Though correct me if I'm wrong) tend to have come across StS at a slightly older age :3

I was 8-9 when I came across that SS Cards (tho' donno the name) and 10 when I started "Reading" the Mangas. ;)

Then again, I hit Puberty at 6 and had-you-know-what at 8! @_@

chibi_hentai

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »
Ah, I was about 13 i think when CN first aired it. Probably it was a year or so later that I found it uncut and then got hooked on it, so maybe 14/15 when I really became a fan :3. Would have read the manga's if it had been released by anyone other than VIZ, and the first name I'd seen them write was "Sienna" which made me discredit any future volumes for fear of Surfer Boy Hyoga and massive edits following KotZ. lol.

And I am so sorry for you  :cry: Though I wasn't far behind at 10 TT_TT.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »
Ah, I was about 13 i think when CN first aired it. Probably it was a year or so later that I found it uncut and then got hooked on it, so maybe 14/15 when I really became a fan :3. Would have read the manga's if it had been released by anyone other than VIZ, and the first name I'd seen them write was "Sienna" which made me discredit any future volumes for fear of Surfer Boy Hyoga and massive edits following KotZ. lol.

And I am so sorry for you  :cry: Though I wasn't far behind at 10 TT_TT.

Trust me; having read the whole manga by Viz, it's a fantastic release. The only flaws are a few dub names. If you can get passed replacing Saint with Knight, Pope with Master, Saori with Sienna, and Deathmask with Mephisto, then you would have almost no other issues. Outside of a few dub names, the manga is not censored in the least, and nobody's dialog is written like the old bad dub.

You basically missed out on a great release due to a fear, rather than a legitimate release. Honestly, what few term changes there are, I replace them in my mind with the correct ones, so it's not even an issue. I'd recommend you get them all before more volumes go up in price due to rarity.

I can't speak for female fans, but I got into Saint Seiya because I loved the mythological background, I loved the detailed imagery (The Armors, the Mythological re-creations, the attacks, etc), I also enjoyed a number of the characters, and the action. How a male character looks means little to me, beyond wanting a few more John Rambo/Rocky Balboa looking guys running around in this murderfest of a manga.

The original manga, and even ND, is just about as far removed from romance as you can get. It's pure shonen. What little romance you see is either tragic (Ikki/Esmeralda *kinda implied, but never goes anywhere*, Orphee/Eurydice *a classic tragic romance*), unrequited (Seiya/Shaina *Seiya being the ultimate thickheaded young teen and all*), or most commonly, platonic (The non evil Saints/Athena *one could argue all loyal soldiers did this for their respective god*). Shun/June never had enough time to give any idea, Hyoga/His Mom's Corpse is just creepy, and the only one with any real potential results is Shiryu/Shunrei, but outside of Omega, it's too soon to call.

Just my bits of input.

Lady of Fireflies

• Blasterrific
    • View Profile
    • Digital World RPF (in Bahasa)
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:51:21 PM »
Wow, everybody here is already, if not, diehard fan :O

I personally never read the manga, but I watched the anime several times. There were times that it was re-run, but too bad that I could never watch all of them in completion. The first time I watched the classic, I thought that Shun should not wear Andromeda cloth. No, not because it's pink (I did mention that I believed Shun is a girl), because Andromeda refers to a galaxy far-far away.

Turns out it's a constellation before one random galaxy was named as such, lol.

I began following the Hades Chapter, like... since a year ago? And before that, I began to know Lost Canvas over 2 years ago. So yeah, you could count me as a new fan xD

Currently in Cardfight!! Vanguard mood

Celyddon

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:05:34 PM »
I don't know that I'm a diehard fan (unless you count the Aquarius Saints).  Originally, I got into the series because of its association with mythology.  I've always been a fantasy fan, and shounen has generally been okay with me even though I might not be their target audience.  (I've always been a more masculine sort of female anyway.)  I admit, the Saints are pretty and nice to look at, but that wasn't why I stayed with the series.  Even all the way through to the fifth movie.

Oddly, I never saw the CN version of this, nor have I ever listened to a dub (except for the oddball French dub on YouTube of the Crimson Boys movie).  I've only seen subs, usually English or Spanish.  I don't consider myself fluent enough anymore to participate on the Spanish forums sadly.  :(

chibi_hentai

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 08:36:23 PM »
@Mewzard: Truthfully there were two reasons I didn't pick up the manga back then. The first being the edits I thought would happen, and I wasn't familiar enough with the series to fill in those name changes at the time or to spot any other translation issues.

Second: The art style. StS is dated in it's art style. It's very heavy in toning and in line weights. The character designs were also all a little too similar (which still bugs me to an extent), when I compared them to the cleanness that the anime had. Now I can appreciate the style for what it is, as a kid just getting into manga at the time though, It wasn't worth risking over a lot of other series I was following and wanted to buy (while the anime was actively coming out, mind you, that I could watch on TV for free).

Now, this is getting off topic xD so to bring it back around:

Saint Seiya is so devoid of the "romance" aspect, if anyone, male or female, were watching it for that I'd be shocked. Haha. There's all of, what, 5 main females in the cast? And only a few hinted pairings for brief moments unless you're a slash fan like me, haha.

Seiya+Saori, Seiya+Shiana
Shun+June (briefly.)
Shiryu+Shunrei
Ikki+Esmerelda(though this was brief)

None of which were really focused on in the slightest. For me it was definitely the amount of drama between the characters and how they grew closer together through the fights. In the first episode they hardly regarded each other as acquaintances to forming really strong bonds with each other. Actually why I'm still so partial to the Bronze saints over the Gold saints.

The bronze boys had so much more character development. And outside of a handful of Gold saints, most of them showed up just long enough to kick the boys butts. Which, I did like. That the hero's weren't this unbeatable force. They did lose at times, and I liked that. They weren't the underdogs suddenly rising to the top over night. There was work behind it. 

Canthre

• Keeper of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
I agree that females liking of Saint Seiya comes from amount of drama. And of sheath speeches that takes most of the fight. And, propably, because the design is nice (I remember that I was in love with Bronze armors when I started the series). Anyway, despite StS is a shonen, I think it has more 'girl potential' than, for example, Dragon Ball.

Cadraire

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 07:50:34 PM »
Pretty character design, one reason why stuff like Dragon Ball lacks potential.
Satisfying passionate, brutal fighting - this is a must.
The drama and bonds between characters is important.
I like the mythology and armor element too. Tho, almost any theme is okay if it fulfills the above
I don't care if it has any romance at all, its usually too sappy and drawn out for my taste. XD

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 07:14:59 AM »
I've always thought it was kind of cool that Saint Seiya has a lot of female fans. Even back in the late 1980's, most of the female anime fans I knew or were actually friends with, dug Saint Seiya. Back then it seemed like female fans of the show/manga were out numbering the males by at least two to one wherever I went which was very much the opposite of anime fandom at the time in the United States.

The only negative for me personally was some of the slash fanfic/doujinshi they felt compelled to share with me when we got together or when I roomed with certain ones at various conventions. One in particular called Fire and Ice ( :ikki: :hyoga: ) still haunts me some twenty plus years later.