Author Topic: General Sports Thread  (Read 11016 times)

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
  • Awakened to the 8th Sense
  • A Heart for Ice Saints and Idiot Crabs
    • View Profile
    • Stayka's Saint Seiya Archive
Re: The Sports Thread - Football, Handball and more
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2007, 07:21:31 PM »
Well, I frankly have to admit that I can't really see the fascination in American Football - I have seen one or two matches of the NFL Europa a while ago, but it is nothing compared to proper football/soccer. ^_^

And I'm curious in how far Beckham's transfer will boost the interest in "soccer" in the US. The US women's teams were always pretty good and successful, as far as I remember. Now it's time for the guys to follow up ^_^

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
  • A warrior of Gaia, Goddess of the Earth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2007, 07:27:01 PM »
Only sport I've ever been really intrested in is tennis.  I tried learning to play a few years ago, but that didn't go so well.

And Shaina, I don't get why American Football is so popular  either, and I am American.  The only reason I even know stuff about it is because I read the Eyeshield 21 manga. 

Come to think of it, at my highschool the soccer team was better than the American football team. XD   Although the team that we were famous for wasn't a sports team at all, but the Mock Trial team. XD

MY Harem Saints: Shun and Shura
Saints/Specters I share: Aiolos, Aldebaran, Rune, Nachi, Black Andromeda, Black Dragon, and Kagaho
[I

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
  • Awakened to the 8th Sense
  • A Heart for Ice Saints and Idiot Crabs
    • View Profile
    • Stayka's Saint Seiya Archive
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2007, 07:48:05 PM »
Well, in Germany you can hardly escape football/soccer (and I assume it is pretty similar in the UK, Italy, Spain and France and many other European countries). In Germany, there are 6 million people organised in more than 27,000 clubs plus about 4 million "hobby kickers" who play regularly in their free time. That means every 8th German plays football here... XD

(BTW, there is even a quote of Albert Camus about football: "After many years during which I saw many things, what I know most surely about morality and the duty of man I owe to sport and learned it in the RUA." (RUA being an Algerian football/soccer team)

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

KnightSkyeメガン

• Saint of Cybertron
  • NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Daughter of Nyx
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2007, 08:32:23 PM »
I can't get the fascination either, but I have to admit, when you sit in the middle of a crowd of cheering fans, the excitement is pretty contagious.  I have no idea what's going on, but I cheer anyway.

And here in the South, American football is huge.  In SC, a lot of attention is paid to one college rivalry we have in the state - the University of South Carolina versus Clemson University.  Every year there's a huge (American) football game that draws huge attention.  The entire week before all the USC and Clemson fans get pretty confrontational.  And of course the outcome decides who gets to crow about it for a year - the Gamecocks (USC) or Tigers (Clemson).

Skater Dude

• Silver Saint
  • Seb Loves Lorri =]]
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2007, 09:23:15 PM »
well idk i kinda hate american football, i think its gay. sometimes u see the players grab each other's butts and im likw wtf

KnightSkyeメガン

• Saint of Cybertron
  • NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Daughter of Nyx
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2007, 09:43:26 PM »
Yeah, that is pretty gay, but I've been raised on the whole thought process that guys who wear a bunch of bulky padding and run around with a lump of pigskin are 'manly' so I can't really think of it as such.  XD

I think of it as sort of idiotic.

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
  • A warrior of Gaia, Goddess of the Earth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2007, 09:59:13 PM »
I still wonder about the thought process of the guy who named (American) Football.  I think the game evolved from Rugby, so why in the heck name it after another game entirely!?

MY Harem Saints: Shun and Shura
Saints/Specters I share: Aiolos, Aldebaran, Rune, Nachi, Black Andromeda, Black Dragon, and Kagaho
[I

Dragon Shiryu

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 天暴星ベヌウの輝火
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2007, 11:04:42 PM »
The rules are quite different though... (as I mentioned before).
Imo, Rugby is far more tactical and you have to use the complete breadth of the field in order to win.
The name isn't that far-fetched really, if you consider the many different kinds of 'football' in the world (pe: Gaelic, ...), although I have to admit it doesn't make much sense to me :).
Anyway, you could just call it gridiron (which is the 'official' term for American football outside of the States apparently (someone told me a few minutes ago :D)).

KnightSkyeメガン

• Saint of Cybertron
  • NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Daughter of Nyx
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2007, 11:08:24 PM »
Gridiron actually makes some perverse sense.

Of course, because of my many years in marching band, I still have the tendency to think of a football field as a grid anyway.

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2007, 06:11:04 AM »
Footbal/soccer on the other hand is now more popular here in L.A we now have 2 teams and there is much more interest now that Beckham is playing for the L.A Galaxy

Beckam is not playing; he is hopping. :smirk:

Dragon Shiryu

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 天暴星ベヌウの輝火
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2007, 11:32:31 AM »
:D
I totally support this point of view.

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2007, 01:13:45 PM »
... and making loads of money for just standing in one leg...

Think about it: that's what a monkey does in a circus and it gets paid with peanuts!

By the way: there is one Portuguese player on American Soccer League - Abel Xavier. Thank God he is on the other side of the Ocean. He reminds me of that evil Gremlin!!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

IrrelevantMaverick

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • accio Aiolos!
    • View Profile
    • moi
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2007, 07:01:43 PM »
don't forget dodgeball! :stops:
♥♥Lune, Orion, Kagaho, Alone, Sisyphus, Fyodor, Retsu, Touma♥♥

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2007, 01:59:05 PM »
Btw, I really don't understand why my fellow Finns get so worked up when 'ice hockey' is mentioned. >_> Even though the game isn't that lame, I certainly wouldn't want to get thrashed against the rink or a stick in the face...

I don't really do sports myself (except swimming, which I'm quite good at. Faster than my Mom, actually... and she's better fit physically than me! xD), but as a couch potato I like to watch figure skating (every time the European championships begin, I root for Stephane Lambiel, the Swiss skater. ^_^), baseball and volleyball (it's funny when someone gets hit in the face. xD).

Btw, we Finns are sort of crazy. You ever heard of swamp football? xD

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2007, 02:49:05 PM »
No, but I have of Curling (sliding stones in ice).