Author Topic: Japanese Language - First Steps  (Read 10831 times)

Himeros

• Still thinking of a Custom Title :)
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Language - First Steps
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2007, 03:16:32 AM »
If u know Mandarin, it will help u  a bit with Japanese writing, since the Japanese adopt many Chinese writings although of course they pronounce those words differently.

Ikki

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 12:20:03 AM »
How do you say "Are you ready to die?" in Japanese?

Himeros

• Still thinking of a Custom Title :)
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2007, 01:11:29 AM »
@Ikki: I dont know about Japanese but I know it in Mandarin. But Im not sure how to alphabetize the words (duh!) It will sound like" Wo Yau Se" - I wanna die

Labbul Luca

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 06:28:03 AM »
 :shaka: I could teach you if you really wanna learn japanese language ikki

aaron22

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 11:35:01 PM »
While we're at it, here go the numbers:

0 - zero/rei
1 - ichi
2 - ni
3 - san
4 - yon/shi
5 - go
6 - roku
7 - nana/shichi
8 - hachi
9 - kyuu
10 - juu
11 - juu-ichi
12 - juu-ni
19 - juu-kyuu
20 - ni-juu
21 - ni-juu ichi
22 - ni-juu ni
30 - san-juu
99 - kyuu-juu kyuu
100 - hyaku
101 - hyaku ichi
200 - ni-hyaku
587 - go-hyaku hachi-juu nana
1000 - sen
6234 - roku-sen ni-hyaku san-juu yon
10 000 - man
100 000 - juu-man
1 000 000 - hyaku-man
10 000 000 - sen-man
100 000 000 - oku
9 999 999 999 999 - kyu-man-oku kyu-sen-oku kyu-hyaku-oku kyu-juu-oku kyu-oku kyu-sen-man kyu-hyaku-man kyu-juu-man kyu-man kyu-sen kyu-hyaku kyu-ju kyu

And that's as far as I can count... :smirk:
woah! thats a really loooooong word.haha=)

kryptonie

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 04:58:02 AM »
chinese only help a BIT nt much . it takes a month to learn jap but it takes years to master ur jap

Shiraoi

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2008, 07:41:01 AM »
chinese only help a BIT nt much . it takes a month to learn jap but it takes years to master ur jap

I don't know about Chinese, but after a month of learning Japanese, I knew only hiragana.. but I understand what you've been trying to say

ryuusei86

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 09:52:26 AM »
Here's a n00b type question that I'm afraid to ask at thejapanesepage.com or the like.  :)  (And please pardon the romanized Japanese, I haven't figured out how to type in Japanese without crashing my computer.)

I was watching an anime episode the other day where a character said to another, suki da, while the subtitles said, "I love you," and from the action and expressions, clearly this was the correct translation.  Yet I thought suki desu was more about just "liking" something, more or less a direct translation of the German gern haben.  (I bet Shaina could really set me straight here!)

I was very surprised because I would have expected the character to say aishiteru for that kind of love.  I have seen suki used for "puppy love," as in when some middle-school boy tells some girl he "likes" her; or in places where I think a German speaker would use gern haben, such as in "I like cats" or "I like the springtime," but I didn't think suki could be used for full-blown romantic love.

If anyone could shed light on this issue, I'd really appreciate it!  :)
Please feel free to call me Jack or R86.  :)

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2008, 01:22:05 PM »

ryuusei86

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2008, 02:10:16 PM »
That's a good website -- I had seen it before but forgot about it.  It answers the question anyway, so thanks for that -- and sorry for not doing my own research better.  :)

EDIT:  The plot thickens with another anime episode I just watched, where a vocalist at the end of a concert she had just given said to the screaming adoring fans, Arigatou, mina!  Aishiteru!  Interesting and it goes to show that translation from one language to another can be tricky.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:47:45 AM by ryuusei86 »
Please feel free to call me Jack or R86.  :)

AriesMu188

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 05:58:07 PM »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here knows a lot of Japanese, and could teach me some.

This was my experience with the lanuage. I had Japanese friends in High School. So I was always curious. I am HK Chinese. Being able to read Chinese definitely helped with the characters. But anyway, I took a class in college. And I started to read Japanese Stuff, Saint Seiya Of Course :) but magazines too. I got good dictionaries.

I started trying writing Japanese for real this year by translating my Zeus Fanfic to Japanese. I used the internet to help me. When a fellow Japanese Saint Seiya fan told me he really was excited by my Zeus Chapter, I was so happy!!!

The key to Japanese is the grammar. The Japanese Grammar is definitely the hardest one out there. Breaking the grammar barrier helps a lot. Find a good book that explains the grammar of Japanese and it will shorten you learning time.

Cheers

Aphrodite

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2011, 05:01:01 AM »
I know a bit Mandarin and it's already caused me enough headache.
i know mandarin is hard, when im in China to visit my family i wont speak mandarin i speak english or cantonese cuz i dont like to speak mandarin

ParaParaJMo

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • ParaParaJMo's YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
Japanese is a syllabary system based on hiragana and katakana. Study those first and once you master that, it's your first and big step into getting a grasp on the Japanese language. Here are some basics. Japanese has various features which can make it difficult, but placed in the right situations and thinkings, it can get easier progressively.

I don't really encourage anime as a source since its too passive and subs (fansubs especially) will dispute on how to translate phrases, words, and dialects. I strongly recommend video games, especially the original Japanese version of Shenmue on the Dreamcast (I have friends in Yokosuka, where the game takes place, and they say it's a lot like the game). Video games are more active and it's an easier situation to apply what you learn, or to learn new things. I have friends who use songs to help them as well. After leaning the writings, look up Japanese songs and follow along. If you know hiragana and katakana already (if there's kanji in the lyrics, there should be hiragana on top of it to let you know how to read it), look up songs and try to sing a long. Some of my friends improved their Japanese at the karaoke. 

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 01:39:02 AM »
It depends on the Karaoke place you go and what stuff they have, sometimes they only show kanjis so you have to memorize... ;)

ParaParaJMo

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
    • ParaParaJMo's YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 02:34:14 AM »
i know mandarin is hard, when im in China to visit my family i wont speak mandarin i speak english or cantonese cuz i dont like to speak mandarin

I find Mandarin to be easier Japanese, especially in terms of grammar.

It depends on the Karaoke place you go and what stuff they have, sometimes they only show kanjis so you have to memorize... Wink

I forgot the textbooks my friend used to study, I think it's NTC's Kanji, I don't remember, but that's a great book to study kanji.