Author Topic: The Linguistics Topic  (Read 24676 times)

Pisceska

Re: The Linguistics Topic
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2007, 03:20:58 AM »
I'm a native dutch speaker, and fluent in French and English. I can get by in German (mostly due to similarity with Dutch), and I know the 20 most popular words in Anime japanese ;).
Most sexy, yeah that would definitely be French, but it depends quite a lot on the dialect and tone used. (just listen to the Merovingian curse in French.. )
I vote British English as a second. There's something to be said for the soft, quiet and well-spoken tones of the Elizabethean language, not to mention its almost inexhaustible vocabulary. US english, I'm sorry, but it's ugly by comparison. Some Americans sound as if they have a fishhook stukc in the corner of their mouth and someone is pulling on it.
As for Dutch (and by extension German) yeah, Van Fanel is right: it sounds like Klingon..

Cheers,
Pisceska

Himeros

• Still thinking of a Custom Title :)
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2007, 02:22:06 AM »
Well, I don't speak many languages. Im a Chinese so I can speak a bit of Mandarin. Sicne I live in Indonesia, I can speak Indonesian. ENglish is taught at school, that's how I can speak English (I have talent in learning English ^_^) When I had a Finnish bf, I managed to learn some Finnish language. BUt when he dumped me, I dumped my Finnish learning too. Now, Im thinking of learning Spanish coz I met a nice Spanish man. If he turns out to be my next bf, I will learn Spanish with all my heart :D If he's not, then I will delay learning it :D

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2007, 01:19:18 AM »
Namasté or Namaskar (नमस्ते [nʌmʌsˈteː] in Nepali and Hindi (from internal sandhi between namaḥ and te) is an Indian greeting or parting phrase as well as a gesture. Taken literally, it means "I bow to you". The word is derived from Sanskrit (namas): to bow, obeisance, reverential salutation, and (te): "to you"

And I thought namaste is Thai LOL

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2007, 12:43:44 AM »
Wow...  You just caught me Endy... O.O  *blinks several times*

Mel

I'm a coward, because I love you too much to let you go.

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2007, 02:54:29 AM »
@Mel: LOL caught u what? :D (Endy blinks back, several times too) - (ENdy then opens his Webster dictionary trying to find other meaning of the word 'catch')

sushimaster

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2007, 03:25:54 PM »
Since you're from Indonesia, then you surely know Melly Goslow right? Her child is named Anak Melly Goslow. @_@

Interesting... anak means child in Indonesian, Malaysian, & Philippines. I really pity the child.... :-_-U:

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2007, 04:32:51 PM »
@Endy:  All I have so far is the bust pic of your Chimera spectre that you use for your signature and icon. ^.^;;  Unless you want it bust up.   But I could try. ^.^

Anak is a cool name, but it would suck if it means 'child'.  I envisioned Anak as a name for a God or higher being.

Mel

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2007, 05:25:52 PM »
I donno... you just caught me...  I'm flabbergasted with what you said.  XD   All the meaning and ways to write the name...  Wow..

Mel

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2007, 05:28:29 AM »
@Mel: LOL I found it on internet. I mean, do u think I can write Hindi? :D But yeah, I can write that well. Im a writer too, but not the kind u would like to read LOL eer.... gay adult stories (Endy coughs). Many say I write well for the fact that Im not english-speaking guy.

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2007, 05:40:52 AM »
@Mel: Yeah, just bust it up :) So it looks mroe clearly :D Make me look cute and CHinese looking (but pls dont make my eyes too squinted coz Im not ^_^) Draw me with a handsome hunky muscular man ok? ;) - ENdy blushes

I've read somewhere that Anak is name for a god or something? Thus making Anakin Skywalker 'evil' coz the name came from an ancient god's anme? I read it in fanatic christian website which condemns Star Wars...

ANak means child here. So if u said, "Anakku" it emans "my child"

whateverwinnie

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2007, 07:59:57 AM »
@Mel: That depends on the language... But in this context, Anak here means Child.
Eeewww... it's surely horrible to be given the name XXX's Child if your parent's name is XXX.
X_X

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2007, 06:05:32 PM »
@ Endy: I'll see what I can do. ^.~  I'm working as of the moment on a few other pictures, then I'll get working on yours. ^.^
@whateverwinnie:  XXX? O.O  Who would name their child that? >.<

Mel

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2007, 06:28:27 PM »
@Endy:  Yeah, I think Hindu writing is very pretty.  Same with Chinese and Japanese calligraphy.  ^.~  Can I read the naughty-ness? XD

Mel

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2007, 02:19:51 AM »
@Mel: Its ok take ur time :D Im sure the result would be great,

@Whateverwinnie: Actually from what language is ANak derived? Coz Indonesian word also knows Anak and it also means child.

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2007, 02:25:06 AM »
Actually most asian writings r exotic. Korean looks weird with shapes of oval, box, lines :D Thai looks like arabic a bit. Indian always seems to have a ine above each word. Im glad Indonesian uses alphabet! :D