Author Topic: The Linguistics Topic  (Read 24675 times)

IrrelevantMaverick

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • accio Aiolos!
    • View Profile
    • moi
Re: The Linguistics Topic
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 03:35:22 AM »
Well, English is from the Germanic and Latin from the Romance branch of the IndoEuropean language family. So in a way  English and Latin are related - and as a matter of fact, before the onset of the vowel shifts (10th century and following), the English language sounded very much similar to Old German which has the same vowel characteristics as Latin has.
altho i'd have to go back to the Anglo-Saxons thing.  that's where i think English began to form between to cultures so that they could communicate.

and while on the subject, what language does everyone speak? ('sides engrishu)

i can speak Eng, comme-ci comme-sa Francais, and a few Hawaiian phrases....at best :shaka:
♥♥Lune, Orion, Kagaho, Alone, Sisyphus, Fyodor, Retsu, Touma♥♥

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2007, 03:49:26 AM »
Português, Español, Italiano, English, Français, Nihon-go wa sukoshi wakarimasu, and I think that's it.

(Although I've set a goal to myself of learning 13 different languages)

Himeros

• Still thinking of a Custom Title :)
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2007, 05:00:54 AM »
VanFanel, why 13 languages? 13 is 'bad luck' LOL

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2007, 06:00:12 AM »
I just summed all those I wanted to learn:

Portuguese, English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Arab, Dutch, Latin, Greek.

(I also thought about learning Klingon....)

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
  • Awakened to the 8th Sense
  • A Heart for Ice Saints and Idiot Crabs
    • View Profile
    • Stayka's Saint Seiya Archive
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 06:06:32 AM »
thlIngan'Hol? XD Well, I translated the Klingon dictionary from English to German when there wasn't an official version yet, so I know some of that, too!

Okay, I'm native German, plus I speak English and French, I understand Italian, Latin, some Japanese and a little Russian.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 11:27:10 AM by Shaina »

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2007, 06:24:03 AM »
I know only two languages fluently: Finnish and English. ...I also know some Swedish (but I suck at it so bad. xD) and some Spanish (eight courses during high school... >_>). And Japanese I've learned to understand a bit by listening to animes (for example, while listening to an audio track, I can now separate words and understand some of them... but I still don't understand the kanji writing, only romaji. xD I'm thinking about taking Japanese as an extra subject at university... if I ever get there, that is.).

I also have this weird ability (apparently I got it from my mother)... the first time I see a foreign word, I pronounce it right. o_0 For example, when I saw some Italian words for the first time, I said them right... and I didn't even know the pronunciation 'code', so to speak, back then! xD

Btw, did you know that 'kiitos' is 'thank you' in Finnish? ...But you should never say 'kiitos' to a Greek person by stressing the word as 'kitoos', because in Greek that means 'fat whale'. xDDDDDDDDDDD

Also, 'katso merta' means 'look at the sea' in Finnish... but in Italian it sounds like 'cazzo merda' (pretty much 'd**k s**t'). xD

Himeros

• Still thinking of a Custom Title :)
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2007, 11:26:24 AM »
Let's see, I speak Indo coz I was born and live here. I can speak ENglish coz it was taught at school (and I think I have a gift in learning English ^_^). SInce my ethnic is Chinese, I can speak Mandarin too. But not too good.

KnightSkyeメガン

• Saint of Cybertron
  • NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Daughter of Nyx
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 08:27:05 PM »
As we've discussed in the chat before, English is the bastard child of most of the Western European languages. It has a bunch of rules, but just as many exceptions to those rules.  Then, there's our perchant for creating new words almost daily.  I don't blame alot of people from non-English speaking countries for havin some trouble with it.

sw33tfifi

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2007, 09:01:26 AM »
As we've discussed in the chat before, English is the bastard child of most of the Western European languages. It has a bunch of rules, but just as many exceptions to those rules.  Then, there's our perchant for creating new words almost daily.  I don't blame alot of people from non-English speaking countries for havin some trouble with it.
yeah ur right but its not hard language the english language is  so important most of pplz in the world know  eng xD

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »
English is fairly easy when compared to Dutch (sounds like Klingon) or German (declinations) or Portuguese/Spanish/Italian (Pronunciation). Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Greek, Arab are tough because of the characters.

And didn't we have this discussion already? I think there is a language (or was it linguistics...?) thread somewhere... ;D

Gemini Saga

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2007, 12:07:10 AM »
British english is very annoying. Especially while reading phonetics.

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2007, 03:20:21 AM »
As an European, I find British delicate and polite :D

The accents from central USA are worse for me, I feel.

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
  • Awakened to the 8th Sense
  • A Heart for Ice Saints and Idiot Crabs
    • View Profile
    • Stayka's Saint Seiya Archive
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2007, 07:05:21 AM »
I found British English easier than American English (and yes, I passed my BE phonetic transcription test at the university :P)

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

Ananke

• Bronze Saint
  • Master of Disaster
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2007, 02:44:36 PM »
French is SEXY
Dunno why, I find German or Croatian far more sexy than French. But I don't like French at all, it's just too sotf, and 'singy' for me.
I speak Polish, I'm trying to speak English ;) and a little bit German.

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2007, 02:52:07 PM »
As a friend of mine once said (British by the way): "The only reason why French aren't extinct is because of Tourism".

That pretty much says it all about what I think of French language. ;D