Author Topic: The Linguistics Topic  (Read 24684 times)

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
  • Awakened to the 8th Sense
  • A Heart for Ice Saints and Idiot Crabs
    • View Profile
    • Stayka's Saint Seiya Archive
The Linguistics Topic
« on: August 07, 2007, 11:44:27 PM »
and yep, as Shaina-dono said, Julius Caesar, who is ITALIAN speaks FRENCH right before he dies... Shakespeare amazes me.
As a matter of fact, "et tu Brute" is proper Latin. "Brute" is the vocative case of Brutus and needs to be used in a direct address. It just happens that the sentence looks the same in French, but that's because French is in fact "vulgar Latin".

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

IrrelevantMaverick

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • accio Aiolos!
    • View Profile
    • moi
Re: The Linguistics Topic
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:33:25 AM »
French is vulgar latin?  well, over here we have pidgin-english which is to say a slang'd up version of the standard englishXD

and whenever I hear Brute, i can only think of the demeaning one.  u knoe, U BRUTE! how DARE u kick Camus like that! interesting to know that "et tu Brute" is in fact, latin.
♥♥Lune, Orion, Kagaho, Alone, Sisyphus, Fyodor, Retsu, Touma♥♥

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
  • A warrior of Gaia, Goddess of the Earth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 12:34:04 AM »
And I am once again amazed by the things I learn on this forum. XD

MY Harem Saints: Shun and Shura
Saints/Specters I share: Aiolos, Aldebaran, Rune, Nachi, Black Andromeda, Black Dragon, and Kagaho
[I

Dragon Shiryu

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 天暴星ベヌウの輝火
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 12:35:27 AM »
French evolved out of Latin, so yeah, there is some ressemblance :).

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 12:46:19 AM »
Well, "Brute" isn't pronounced "brute" but rather similar to "Brootay"... ^_^

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

IrrelevantMaverick

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • accio Aiolos!
    • View Profile
    • moi
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 01:33:37 AM »
*snorts

pronounced "brootay"?  that sounds hilarious.  and for me to learn that French evolved from Latin, Latin seems to be the ultimate language.  even english derives from that.
♥♥Lune, Orion, Kagaho, Alone, Sisyphus, Fyodor, Retsu, Touma♥♥

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 01:45:58 AM »
Well the "ay" sound is not quite correct, but I find it hard to come up with something similar in English. In German, Brute sounds like in the Latin original, so there we don't have any pronunciation problems (the German vowels are pretty much identical to the Latin/Italian vowels - in the English language the vowels got messed up in the vowel shifts around the middle ages).

Dragon Shiryu

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 天暴星ベヌウの輝火
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 02:38:27 AM »
*snorts

pronounced "brootay"?  that sounds hilarious.  and for me to learn that French evolved from Latin, Latin seems to be the ultimate language.  even english derives from that.
AFAIK, English doesn't derive from Latin... They share several linguistic points, but English is a German language (as is German (duh), Dutch, ...) while French is a Roman language (as is Spanish, Italian, ...).
So technically, only the Roman ones are a drect continuiation of Latin.

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 02:57:48 AM »
Well, English is from the Germanic and Latin from the Romance branch of the IndoEuropean language family. So in a way  English and Latin are related - and as a matter of fact, before the onset of the vowel shifts (10th century and following), the English language sounded very much similar to Old German which has the same vowel characteristics as Latin has. One main difference between Germanic and Romance language is a certain kind of consonant shifts, most notably p->f as seen with pater/pere/padre vs. father/Vater/vader etc.

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 05:13:51 AM »
In other words - Portuguese, Spanish (with all its variants), French and Italian (and a bit of Romanian) can easily understand each other since they have the same origin in Latin, direct consequence of the Roman Empire extending its limits all over the Mediterranean.

From Germanic family of languages derived the Anglo Saxon (Old English), the Middle English, the Modern English, Dutch, German, Scotish. Those are the so called West Germanic languages. Then you have the North Germanic ones which are the Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and Icelandic.

From the little I know/have seen of German, there are lots of influences of these languages on each other. Someone who is keen on English and French for example, should have no problem learning German. In German (Correct me :shaina: if I'm wrong here) there is something they love doing which is to take different words, and merge them all together in one big word (numbers are an example of that). But they don't merge words at random, rather they try to establish a meaningful new complex word out of more simple words.

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 07:05:26 AM »
Er, if you mean by "Scotish" the language of the Scots - that would be Gaelic which belongs to the Insular Celtic languages which is a subdivision in itself and only a "sister language" of the Germanic languages and not derived from it.

And yes, in German you find a lot of complex words that look very unwieldy to speakers of other languages. While there new meanings for words are built by just putting single words together that still stay single words separated by blanks, in German they are usually written together as one word then.

For example if you have a word like "language family", in German you would write it as "Sprachfamilie" (language=Sprache, family=Familie). And these concatenations don't stop at two words, you find even such consisting of three or more parts.

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 07:14:23 AM »
Well, actually there are two kinds of Scotish. One that derives from the Germanic side - the Lowland Scots - and is spoken in the low parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland, and the Scottish Gaelic which derives from Celtic languages and is spoken in the Highlands of Scotland.

And then there is also Welsh, spoken in Wales and also deriving from Celtic. And Irish, yet another Celtic language... So many languages in only two islands... Guess that's what happens when hammers and swords are used to build up countries. :smirk:

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 07:23:25 AM »
Ah, you meant "Scots" as language. Sorry, I was stumbling over a false friend there ^_^

"Schottisch" often is short for "Schottisch-Gälisch" (Gaelic) in German, while "Scots" (or Lallans) is indeed the lowland dialect in Scotland. Thus I thought you referred to "Schottisch" with the term "Scotish", not to "Scots". -_-'

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 07:28:02 AM »
Yeah, I always mixed all the Scots, Scotish, etc wording...

We should all speak Japanese only. Period. :smirk:

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 08:07:54 AM »
Welsh, spoken in Wales and also deriving from Celtic.

OT: Isn't that also called Cymric? ...I've learned that because I've been interested in Celts and their language for quite a long time. ...I'm even writing two stories... the other has dragons that have Celtic names linked to their color (Radmund is red and so on), and the other has the main characters named after their elements (Edana and Kay both mean 'fire').