Author Topic: Western Comics!  (Read 4000 times)

Hydrus

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
Western Comics!
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »
Whatcha reading? 

A few of my faves: Iron Fist, Justice League International, Hellblazer, Astro City, Captain America.  Actually pretty much a bit of everything.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
Re: Western Comics!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »
I read a lot of stuff, but I guess my claim to fame is being on a Green Lantern Podcast, so I should mention that I do enjoy those books. Lots of fine reads out there, from old to new, though. Almost too many to name, if you've got open tastes.

Hydrus

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »
You do a podcast?  That's pretty awesome.

I read a fair bit of GL.  I used to only like Hal, but in recent years I've developed a love for Guy as well.  I'm still optimistic about the movie, though I wasn't very encouraged by the trailer.  What'd you think of it?

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »
Read quite a few American comics both DC and Marvel and always have. I'm also a pretty big Green Lantern fan. I have a complete run of series 4 with most of the variant covers, a near complete run of series 3 and pretty good run of the Silver Age Green Lantern starting with issue #21. Hal is my #1 GL but I'm also a fan of the Golden Age Lantern Alan Scott.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 11:30:05 PM »
You do a podcast?  That's pretty awesome.

I read a fair bit of GL.  I used to only like Hal, but in recent years I've developed a love for Guy as well.  I'm still optimistic about the movie, though I wasn't very encouraged by the trailer.  What'd you think of it?

Well, I was more hopeful from the GLC featuring scenes than some earlier trailers. I don't want to judge too soon, because who knows what changes it has recently gone through.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 12:40:08 AM »
Ironman, Batman.

The Long Halloween - One of the best in my opinion... ;)

Hydrus

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »
@Gemini Saint: Nice!  I personally love Golden and Silver Age stuff, though I mostly just own reprints 'cause I'm cheap.  XD

@Mewzard: That's a very good point.  I know I'm going to see it as soon as it comes out regardless of how good or bad the trailers are, so I should probably just wait see instead of speculating.  On the other hand, I've developed a pretty firm opinion that Thor is going to suck.

@Mu: I'm not a particular fan of Jeph Loeb, but with Tim Sale involved, he's done some good work.  The Long Halloween is a good one, and definitely my favorite of Loeb's.  Have you been reading Morrison's Batman?  I hear it's good stuff, but haven't read it myself (can't afford current comics at the moment).

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 01:07:19 AM »
I'm going to see Thor. Antony Hopkins as Odin, I just have to see it! :)

Warners made a big mistake with that first GL trailer, 2nd is good but will I see it? I don't know.

Which will suck more, is really the question!! But I love this stuff... XD

I haven't got into Morrison's Batman yet... Still catching on Ironman recently... ;)

Penthesilea

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Burn My Dread
    • View Profile
    • St. Paradise
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 08:39:10 AM »
Long before I read manga, I started reading Archie comics.

And at the time I thought they're the best comics in the world to the point I had huge collection of Archie comics. I no longer read them but still stay on top of the Archie news. *like the marriage series to Betty/Veronica i.e.*

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »
@Gemini Saint: Nice!  I personally love Golden and Silver Age stuff, though I mostly just own reprints 'cause I'm cheap.  XD

If it wasn't for garage sales back in the 1970's, I wouldn't have a vast majority of the Silver Age books I own. Huge stacks of them for a dime or a quarter for the whole stack! Glory days.

Haldir

• NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Misplaced Athena's Urn Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 03:41:58 AM »
Heh, the only Comics I read previously was The Transformers (G1 with a dash of Action Master series back in the 1980s and early 1990s?) and those related to my favourite Cartoons like TMNT, Robocop, M.A.S.K., Barbie etc.
Then I got into Star Wars so was reading a selection of Star Wars Comics Titles like X-Wings, Crimson Empire I & II, anything to do with the Novel-to-Comics or Vader series and Tales of the Jedi series released in the late 1990s.

But when my favourite Comic Shop became completely an Role-Playing Games shop, kinda lost interest and only read random SW comics here and there, borrowed from the library.

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »
As these picture will attest (perhaps about 1/2 of my non-Manga comic collection), I have been a fan of comic books for a long time.

I have always enjoyed reading and art so a medium that combines the two was an instant hit for me. And to this a passion for science fiction, fantasy and a deep interest in Far East Asian cultures, especially China and Japan, it was only natural that I would get hooked my manga in general and a series like Saint Seiya in particular.

Hydrus

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »
I was wowed when I saw these on the 'pics of your room' thread.  You probably have more comics than my LCS.  (My collection is only somewhere around 1000, I think.)

Less than three months til the Cap movie...if it's not good, I'm going to cry.  Cap was my first comic book; I feel like I've been waiting my whole life for this film.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 01:48:21 AM »
Thor was good so I have faith... ;)

I suspect Avengers might suck... :)

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 05:24:03 AM »
Less than three months til the Cap movie...if it's not good, I'm going to cry.  Cap was my first comic book; I feel like I've been waiting my whole life for this film.

I'm worried they seem to be playing down both the America part of Captain America and the Nazi aspect of Germany in the 1940's so the film will sell to the rest of the world. First Avenger vs Hydra is a bit of a whitewash IMHO.