Author Topic: SS in Greece  (Read 19890 times)

Sooru

• Passionate youth
    • View Profile
Re: SS in Greece
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »
That's so sad because noone seems to be aware of this, I chatted with a few fans which are pretty into retro stuff but they didn't know about the fact, I wonder if they aired less than 12 episodes and that's why noone can trace them. I mean even I can remember series like Step Jun which are not that popular among greek airing here but not SS. I wonder if your father can help us, can he remember which channel aired it? Maybe we could look more into it.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »
Unfortunately he doesn't remember which channel it was. All he remembers is that one of the reasons why it was cancelled is because it was a blasphemy to Greek mythology and twisted things for the kids. Having said that, for that and only that reason it should be remembered...or it might means that they made sure to erase its existence (for Greece)? might be a long shot but who knows?

Shunhades

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 11:19:33 PM »
From what I am finding out, Saint Seiya aired in Greece around the same time as it had aired in Portugal. They did not have a Greek Dub, just Greek subtitles (though this is just what I found, this could be wrong).

Though it's a known fact that Saint Seiya has actually aired world wide. There isn't many places where it hasn't aired honestly. But for Greece, this is what I found specifically. I couldn't find what channel (or channels) it aired on in Greece though. Just many sites confirming that it had been aired in Greece.

If anything, it could be that it aired in certain places or with certain networks. I don't know how many networks Greece has, but that would explain why some people know it was aired, and some didn't. Airing times would of been a factor as well.
Saint Seiya Fan for over 20 years

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 04:41:17 AM »
It never aired in Scandinavia ;_;

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 08:45:22 AM »
What? for real? can you confirm this because a few Swedish friends that I have, they remember watching it in their childhood?

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 02:25:04 AM »
What? for real? can you confirm this because a few Swedish friends that I have, they remember watching it in their childhood?

I am 99% sure since i am Swedish. In the 80s we got Starzinger, Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, Robotech, Cobra and some episodes of Lady Oskar(rose of versailles) and some other shows. The only greek thing was Ulysses 31 which was a french production. :)

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 12:13:14 PM »
Damn man, you got a poor collection there to choose from. :(

Not fair for the Swedish and here I am whining about the few series we got...I.. *he feels ashamed*

Sooru

• Passionate youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 04:57:37 AM »
If it aired aired at the same at it aired in Portugal, mid 80s according to wikipedia, it probably makes more sense. Since there were very few channels back then it might aired through a channel which didn't air nationwide but this fact can shorten our search anyway, thanks a lot of the info, we'll to find out more.

But the reason they cancelled the show sounds like something our Church and the old generation would say, no surprise there really though it's pretty laughable and almost embarrassing. It wasn't the last anime they made a fuss about anyway, the same thing happened about Pokemon, Digimon, One Piece and especially Yugioh when they aired.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 10:40:22 AM »
It should be nationwide, I mean my father grew up in Athens and if it airs in Athens it should have aired elsewhere in the country, no? I could be wrong but I was assuming something that airs in the capital of a country is supposed to be universal thing.

In any case for Saint Seiya it had to do with the series mocking the Greek mythology and teaching kids the mythos in the wrong way.

Now concerning the church...it wasn't involved in kids cartoon till Dragonball (aired in the early 90s I think there?). Later on, any series that had demons involved it was considered to be"Satan's work".  I knew about Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh! but I had no idea for Pokemon.

Also it was quite ridiculous when the church declared that Harry Potter was also "evil" because it involved a dark lord and magic (and apparently magic is supposed to be an evil thing...go figure).

This is what my cousins have told me so don't take everything with a grain and salt.

Saga235

• Bronze Saint
  • Athena's Sanctuary Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 11:45:30 AM »
Okay, thanks to everybody.  I can understand if it air, some Greek will find it un-welcome.