Author Topic: SS in Greece  (Read 19737 times)

Saga235

• Bronze Saint
  • Athena's Sanctuary Forever
    • View Profile
SS in Greece
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:08:42 AM »
Anybody know if SS was ever televised in Greece?

geminikanon

• Silver Saint
  • Destroyer of Galaxies
    • View Profile
Re: SS in Greece
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 02:31:04 PM »
Anybody know if SS was ever televised in Greece?

You know, I've always wonder how SS will be received in Greece, considering that it is based on Greek mythology ...

Will people there hate it because of all the liberties Kuramada took on the myth, or would they find it refreshing?

Penthesilea

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Burn My Dread
    • View Profile
    • St. Paradise
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:51:02 PM »
I wonder if anime is even televised in Greece after all.

But it seems so because this website has anime news in Greek. http://www.animeplanet.gr/

So in a sense anime is seen in Greece. Not sure about Saint Seiya though.

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:50:14 PM »
I don't know about Greece but I do own a couple of figures from the old line that came from Italy.

ScorpiusMiro

• Saint in Training
  • Surrender or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:56:13 AM »
Yeah, now that I think of it, it does make me curious on how the Greek will react if they saw Saint Seiya o_O

geminikanon

• Silver Saint
  • Destroyer of Galaxies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:24:44 AM »
Yeah, now that I think of it, it does make me curious on how the Greek will react if they saw Saint Seiya o_O

It'd be almost like .... say, watching anime here in the U.S. about Cowboy Bob.  Wait ... we have that!!  Cowboy Bebob!  XD

Okay, that was lame. 

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 11:20:03 AM »
Cowboy Bob was a guy who hosted cartoon on a local tv channel here in Indianapolis when I was a child. In fact, my mother wrote him a letter for me which he read on air back in about 1971-72 and oddly enough, I still remember watching it.

Saga235

• Bronze Saint
  • Athena's Sanctuary Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 12:32:45 PM »
I may plan to box up all my gold saints figures, take them with me to the Acropolis, take a series of artistic photographs.

Wonder if the local Greeks will ask me what are these figures.

Celyddon

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 01:02:25 PM »
That would be really cool!  Do you live in/near Greece?

Gemini Saint Saga

• Silver Saint
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 01:20:11 PM »
I may plan to box up all my gold saints figures, take them with me to the Acropolis, take a series of artistic photographs.

That's an awesome ideal. The best I've been able to do was take some Bronze Saints to the Luxor hotel in Las Vegas.::)

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
Saint Seiya did air in Greece, my greek classmate confirmed it. But it wasn't such a big hit apparently.
Maybe they considered it yet another bastardization of their myths? xD

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Sooru

• Passionate youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 01:02:17 AM »
I feel but for digging up such an old thread but since you never got a clear answer I thought that maybe there are still some people around interested in this.

Saint Seiya never aired in Greece, which is kind of sad because during 80s anime used to be a big thing here. It's not like SS is unkown here but it's not extremely popular either. SS The Lost Canvas is, however, fansubbed in greek language and thus it's the most popular part of the franchise. The fact that it has newer animation does help, and surprisingly Soul of Gold got people more interested in the title, we even have a timeline guide.

The fandom is not that big, but whoever has watched the series didn't really disliked it because of its take on the myths (we are used to bad American movies about greek myths anyway) and if not everyone, most of us agree that it is an interesting take on greek mythology. Plus, Kurumada and Teshirogi have a pretty vast knowledge on reek mythology. When we were translating SS:LC we decided to make a guide about the references in LC episodes and we were pretty excited to note down everything.

So in other words SS is not extremely popular but it's not unkown either. Many fans know it just like "that anime inspired by greek myths" but luckily lately more

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 12:02:31 PM »
But it did air...it just wasn't a hit. It didn't last long. That is all.

Sooru

• Passionate youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 12:16:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure it didn't, since I'm not that young and I remember most of the series they aired here whether it was a re-airing or a first. I'm pretty sure they aired a few episodes of Gundam Wing for example before they cancel it. Are you from Greece? In which channel did it air? Since we are trying to not down every official and fansubbed release in Greek it'd help us. There is this list and then this one here but SS isn't mentions. Maybe I should try asking Juohmaru since he is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to retro anime or a few older fans I know for more details.

It seems strange though since there is no Greek cover for the opening song which was pretty common back then. Plus I'm pretty use that our Church would have made a fuss about it so it'd be a meme among older fans.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 01:19:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure it didn't, since I'm not that young and I remember most of the series they aired here whether it was a re-airing or a first. I'm pretty sure they aired a few episodes of Gundam Wing for example before they cancel it. Are you from Greece? In which channel did it air? Since we are trying to not down every official and fansubbed release in Greek it'd help us. There is this list and then this one here but SS isn't mentions. Maybe I should try asking Juohmaru since he is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to retro anime or a few older fans I know for more details.

It seems strange though since there is no Greek cover for the opening song which was pretty common back then. Plus I'm pretty use that our Church would have made a fuss about it so it'd be a meme among older fans.

I am half Greek, father's side...and yeah according to him it did air, he was one of the few that liked the series and was sad when it was cancelled.